alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Hi folks. I have an OZC agility SATA III 120GB SSD and the read and write speeds are slow. I have AHCI enabled in the BIOS. I did change this after the OS install but I made the nescessary registry edit to enable it. I update my motherboards BIOS to v1502 which is the latest. I downloaded all of the latest drivers from the ASUS website for the motherboard. I updated the firmware on the SSD. I enable caching in the device manager and my SiSoftware Sandra score is still only 172.995MB/s. Any thoughts on what I may have missed? I also made sure that my ssd is plugged into SATA port 1 which is the 6GB/s port on the motherboard.

RussK1

Splendid

Follow the guide (you don't have to disable pafefile though). Main thing is disabling superfetch (ready boost), hibernation and verifying Windows 7 Trim support is on.

...and do not turn Off Windows Write-Cache Buffer Flushing...

http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/showthread.php?t=340129

How to enable TRIM Command in Windows 7 with a Solid State Drive

To enable or disable TRIM Command, you will need to open an Elevated Command Prompt window.

How To Open an Elevated Command Prompt window: Click on Start Orb > Type "CMD.exe" in Search box > Right click on "CMD" and select "Run as Administrator" (If you receive a prompt confirmation, click YES)

How to Enable TRIM Command

In the Elevated command Prompt windows, type the following:

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 0

How to Disable TRIM Command

fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1

How do I know if TRIM is working in Windows 7?

fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify
Results explained below:
DisableDeleteNotify = 1 (Windows TRIM commands are disabled)
DisableDeleteNotify = 0 (Windows TRIM commands are enabled)

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Great! Thanks for the guide. I will give it a try when I get home from work. Also, I have not spent much time trying to figure it out but can you use sandra to just benchmark the ssd instead of running the entire benchmark?

From your signature I know you have i7 990X , which is use the X58 MB.

X58 MB use a Marvell controller 88se9128 for the SATA III (6Gb/s) ports, which is slower than other controller such as SandForce SF-2281. That is why you are get low read rate.

Here is the review.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index. [...] &Itemid=38

RussK1

Splendid
Do you think the marvell controller is that slow?

No... just follow the guide and see what gains you net.

As for benchmarks; they're important as it lets you "see" that you're getting what you're paying for. Why buy a SSD that boasts 500mb R/W speeds and you only get half of that? Benchmarks lets one see if that performance is there. If nobody tested products manufacturers would put turds in boxes and claim it's a golden nugget... and nobody will know the wiser.

I copy this from Dereck47 in other post

"The Marvell controller on your motherboard has a maximum data bandwidth of PCIe x1 at 5Gb/s (500MB/s).

You will not get the maximum advertised speeds from any SATA 3 SSD you connect to the Marvell ports, but your performance will still be better than connecting the drive to one of the SATA 2 ports."

This is new link
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=413&Itemid=38

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

I do reallize that I am not going to get the advertised speeds on any drive. 177MB/s is really low compared to the advertised 525MB/s is all I am saying. So I just made all of those changes in the guide and my new score on Sandra is 157MB/s. So according to those guys in that review the intel ich10 sata controller is 28% faster than marvel. I think my issue is bigger than just being 28% slower but thank you for pointing that out. Maybe I need to see if I can get a pci-e sata III controller card that uses intel ich10.

RussK1

Splendid

What does ATTO tell ya?

Yeah, what does ATTO tell you?

And YES, the Marvell controllers are slow!

Run it and get over it. Too many benchmarks harm SSDs (too many write/re-write cycles).

BTW: The Agility III is the bottom end of OCZ line up = Asychronous NAND.

P.S.S. Read this: The SSD Review: Understanding SSD Advertised Speeds...

And here is a SSD Tweak Guide I follow: THe SSD Reveiw: THe SSD Optimization Guide. OCZ and THG have one too, but they are really close to the link.

kovaxo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010

buddy..
no such a mother board with SF controller
u mean native intel sata 3 ...

kovaxo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
Follow those steps and i hope its help you as its helped me
1-AHCI is must from ur bios
2-place your drive at [strike]Gsata3_6[/strike] red one
3-[strike]disable Gsata3_8 and 9[/strike]
4-disable super fetch
5-disable indexing

now u should see some improvement better than before

but still marvell9128 is poor ... marvell9182 is good as intel sata 3 tho as G1.Assassin G1.Sniper G1.Guerrilla GA-X58A-OC

RussK1

Splendid

You're wrong if you're talking about Marvell in general and SATA3~

On the X58 Asus Rampage III Extreme the Sata3 6Gb/s in contolled by the the Marvell 9128 controller ↓↓↓

Intel® ICH10R controller :
6 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), gray
Support Raid 0, 1, 5, 10
JMicron® JMB363 controller :
1 x eSATA 3Gb/s port(s), green
1 x SATA 3Gb/s port(s), black
Marvell® PCIe 9128 controller : *2
2 x SATA 6Gb/s port(s), red

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1366/Rampage_III_Extreme/#specifications

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011

atto.jpg

hdtune.jpg

Very aggravating problem. The SSD is apparently sandforce 2281. Could it be that the marvel controller just does not like it? Anyone know of a pci-e sata III controller that uses sandforce? I am not going to do a major upgrade to fix this but I would like to gain a bit more performance and simply getting a pci-e sata III controller sounds like a good way to do this if one exists.

kovaxo

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
uninstall the marvell driver and reboot then do the benchmark again u will see some different as the stander drive is better than the marvell ones

let me know what ATTO going to say after :)

there is no such a sandForce controller on pci card ---- and pci-e x2 most of them marvell but late versions , cost like 60$ and more and they are good as INTEL sata 3

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816115077&Tpk=highpoint%20640

when u look for a card make sure its has x2 or x4 interface ....

RussK1

Splendid
Add 4 SATA 6Gbps ports to a computer through a PCI Express x4 slot. The PEXSAT34 4-port PCI Express SATA 6Gbps Controller Card adds 4 internal SATA ports, along with a shared eSATA port to a desktop computer through a PCIe slot (x4), providing both an internal and external SATA 6Gbps connectivity solution from a single card. Compliant with SATA revision 3.0, this controller card provides up to 6Gbps of data bandwidth to utilize the speeds of high performance hard drives and Solid State Drives (SSD), along with Port Multiplier (PM) support on each port which allows for multiple SATA drives to be connected over a single cable.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog?q=PCIe+sata+3+controller&hl=en&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&ix=seb&ion=1&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=17457316759673240903&sa=X&ei=cMWST6OmG6r26AGxwqzGBA&ved=0CJABEPMCMAE

alrobichaud

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2011
Tried to go with standard ms drivers but there is not rollback option. Where would I find those? I did uninstall my current drivers hoping it would automatically revert to the standard but system recovery reinstalled the drivers. I tried the updated drivers that you linked russwood1488 and the atto results look better but I ran hdtune again and this time I only hit an average of 180MB/s. What exactly can you deteremine from the atto results? Does it give an average? The results appear to be much better using atto vs hdtune.

attonewdriver.jpg