Sign in with
Your question

Not sure what I am doing wrong.

Last response: in Overclocking
January 30, 2013 2:02:37 PM

I am new to over clocking and decided to give it a shot. I used a guide and in the bios I set the frequency to 4.2, voltage to 1.300 and CPU load line calibration to high ( I am not sure if should have messed with the llc). After this I saved and restarted and everything went fine as far as booting goes. I ran prime for an hour(probably should have done for a few more) and my temps were fine And voltage went up to 1.36(goes to about 1v on idle). After this I went on and did my normal things. The next day I turned my PC on and noticed the CPU red led was solid and my PC shut down and turned back on to a successful boot. This also happens when resuming from sleep sometimes. However when I go back to default setting in my bios, everything works perfectly when it comes to booting and resuming from sleep. This leads me to believe I am not doing something right.

My oc settings:
Went into bios and chose manual
Frequency: 4.2
Voltage: 1.300
CPU load line: from auto to high

Specs:
I7 2600k
Asus sabertooth z77 with earliest bios
Dominator platinum @ 1866
Evga gtx570 HD
Corsair h100i
Corsair hx750
Corsair 650d

- this is an updated and more specific version of my previous post on the same issue

thanks!

More about : wrong

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2013 3:46:05 PM

This could be instability... but if prime ran for an hour is shouldn't cause this effect.

If it is cpu instability you may wanna try upping the voltage by .025
Also I'm not sure if its the same with sandybridge but on x58 CPU PLL voltage needs to be raised at times to maintain stability. In some cases people are able to run the cpu with lower cpu pll voltage but in other cases it needs to be raised a little...

I recommend you run intel burn test as a stress test. That program will tell if you're really stable or not. Also make sure your memory is 100% stable.

Also could be a problem with your bios version. A bios update may very well fix this issue if you're not updated to the latest version. Again thats an idea, not a guarantee. Usually if I run into any weird problems I try to make sure its not a bios issue by updating and trying different bios versions.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2013 6:26:15 PM

Wow 1.3 volts for only a 4.2Ghz overclock. That is pretty freaking high. ANd you say it went up to 1.36? I have a 3570k@4.7Ghz and I need 1.38volts and your only at 4.2. You should be able to do that ALL DAY at 1.20 Volts or a little more. That's way too high even if you don't have the best chip.

The poster above me says to raise it .25 but then you'll be where I'm at which should give you a 4.7Ghz overclock.

I say leave everything stock accept for the multiplier and the voltage and then see if anything weird happens. Try 4.2Ghz at 1.25 Vcore and I bet that'll run smoothly as long as all the other settings are not messed with. If you don't know what your doing with those settings then don't play with them.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 3, 2013 2:14:01 AM

@ericjohn004

I did not say to raise the voltage by .25v, that would be a scary 1.75v lol
I said to raise it by .025v... and btw, upping the voltage by .025 would not make his clock speed rise...
he would stay at 4.2Ghz but with a voltage of 1.325v which may help with stability.

As you have mentioned earlier, some chips do need more voltage than others... and it can be significant amounts depending on cpu. Especially if its a different gen and architecture... speaking from personal experience. I have had great chips and bad chips... some eat voltage like crazy

Notice how his cpu is a second gen 32 nanometer i7 2600k (sandybridge)
Yours is a 3rd gen 3d transistor 22 nanometer ivy bridge chip. Don't expect the voltages to scale equally. My 980x for instance takes 1.328V to run at 4.34Ghz stable... and thats considered not too bad for my chip.

I've also seen the same chip do worse in a different motherboard. Very common. Some boards don't OC as well as others. Sometimes bios updates can help with that. Thats why I recommended Plaudium to update his bios to whatever is latest version right now.
February 4, 2013 2:12:24 AM

Thank you guys for the replies. Sorry it has taken me so long to reply. I am currently out of town and will be until this coming weekend. I probably should have created this post later on this week so you guys wouldn't hanging. Anyways, I am going to try to see if updating the bios will work when I get back.

Thanks again!
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
February 4, 2013 6:59:21 AM

yeah no problem.

Good luck! and keep us updated ;) 
!