Unknown partition repair in windows xp

makan2000

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hello,
suddenly my computer's windows xp didn't work and when I wanted to install another xp ,the messsage"unknown partition" was shown .Is there any way to backup my files on this hard and also repaire this hard

michaelzervas

Honorable
May 18, 2012
I have the same problem mate! i format the hd and then i see unknown partition and after some changes iv done the HD was named ''NEW RAW'' my hd is old but i can't believe that it's broken because it shows available disk space.. hope someone helps us. -Mike

The most important thing, in my opinion, is to save your files. If you have a second drive, or an external hard drive, I would borrow another computer, download a bootable CD like Parted Magic, burn to the CD, boot your broken machine from the CD, and copy all the files that you need to your external drive. Do this first, before any process overwrites files that you need.

Once that's done and checked, you don't have to worry about losing data. You could try a Repair Installation from the XP CD, or just wipe the drive and do a new install.

You should probably check the drive to see if it is good. Download diagnostics from the drive's manufacturer.