128GB Vertex 4 vs Intel 510

Rallye2011

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hey All,

I've been agonizing over this decision for the past few days, and haven't been able to make any real headway. I am hoping you all here can help me make an educated purchase. I know OCZ has been hammered over the sandforce failures in the older Vertex lines, but does this still hold true for the Vertex 4? Is the additional (almost 50 dollars) worth spending on the slower Intel 510?

djscribbles

Honorable
Apr 6, 2012
Probably the reason for the lack of replies is simply due to the infancy of the Vertex4. The real question is, would you be comfortable taking a risk on a fledgeling product to save the 50$ and get some extra speed.

As the previous poster said, the Vertex4 isn't using sandforce anymore, so what your getting is a big unknown; you should probably expect to have some bumps along the way with firmware and such, simply because it is so new (though octane users got the brunt of the beta testing).

I will say I've had decent luck with OCZ customer service (had to return one, they failed to ship it back, after I called, they gladly upgraded from a vertex2 to vertex3 and overnighted it to me). I've never used an intel (mostly due to the extra cost).

Rallye2011

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Thank you both for your responses. I was aware of the controller swap which is the big reason I am even considering OCZ.

I guess my best bet will be to wait a month or two and see what happens as more people pick up 4s and report back their experiences.

The OCZ Vertex 4 is a brand new ssd that does not have an established track record. I recommend waiting a few months until a track record can be established.

I maintain the ssd database listed in the sticky at the very top of this forum section. I have already included links to 15 technical reviews of the Vertex 4.

Here is the link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the OCZ section and the Vertex 4. Then follow the links to the technical reviews. You'll also find all the links to the 510 reviews in the Intel section.

Rallye2011

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Hey Johnny,

I've poured over the reviews, (via your thread) and the thing stopping me from buying the 4 right now is problems with the older drives. Like you said, my best bet is to wait.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
Waiting is probably a good idea. OCZ's first pass at Everest was pretty bad. I was thinking about the Vertex 4 as well, but went with the Mushkin Chronos instead. Figure the warranty is good enough, and the data I store on the SSD not very critical, so if I get issues I'll just swap it out. It was a steal at about $0.99/GB.

Rallye2011

Honorable
Apr 20, 2012
Actually I decided to bite the bullet and go Vertex 4. 3 days in, and it hasn't missed a beat. The performance is fantastic and hopefully it continues to be reliable. I store all my critical data on separate drives, so a failure won't cause much harm. 1.15 a gig.