georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
hello im looking to buy a 60gb ssd for boot drive can anyone give me some ideas of what ssd to get? i was looking at ocz agility 3 but heard its bad is this true?

georgew91

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
i got amd so nope. And i was thinking about geting a 120gb but my steam folder is over 100gb so i may as well get a 60gb as my steam folder wont fit on a 120gb ssd ethier. Im from uk so prices are higher :( this is the site i use (scan.co.uk) so if anyone could recomend one from here i would highley appricate it. thankyou

game junky

Distinguished
I have used OCZ, Samsung, Crucial, Intel, Sandisk & Corsair SSDs over the course of the last 2 years.

OCZ initially was fraught with numerous failures - after lots of firmware updates and prayer, several of the replacement drives seem to be somewhat stable. I wouldn't purchase them if you value your data and don't continually backup or if you never want to experience an outage.

Corsair was fairly middle of the road - I had 1 failure but it seemed to be a heat-related failure within the laptop case. Pretty quick

Crucial has been incredibly reliable - I haven't had a failure even though I have roughly 20 deployed in older laptops that needed to speed-up their boot times and wanted to not worry about an accidental drop destroying their data.

Samsung has been really reliable as well - Dell deploys the 470 series in their newer e-series laptops and they've been really quick and reliable. No failures yet in over a dozen machines.

I have the Intel 520 series in my desktop - I upgraded to this from a OCZ Vertex 2. Even going SSD to SSD, there was a noticeable performance difference. Fastest drive I have ever used and I have yet to have a hiccup and have had no compatibility issues. I use the 120GB and it has my OS, Program Files (including BF3 which is pretty chunky for a game) - I have plenty of spare room without having to worry about managing my files.

Here is my standard reply:

If reliability and stability is a major concern, then I recommend Samsung. Samsung was awarded contracts to supply Dell, Sony, Lenovo, Apple and other off the shelf brands with OEM versions of their 470 Series SATA 2 3Gb/s ssd's. Eventually the 470's were released for retail sale to consumers. There have been no major issues reported. The 470 has an absolutely stellar record.

Then Samsung released their 830 Series SATA 3 6Gb/s ssd's as successors to the 470. The first ones were OEM versions for Dell and the other off the shelf brands followed by release of retail versions for consumers. The ssd's are Samsung's own design with their own components and firmware. It looks like Samsung got it right again.

Here is a link to the ssd database:

http://www.johnnylucky.org/data-storage/ssd-database.html

Scroll down to the brands you are interested in and follow the links to the technical reviews.

TRENDING THREADS