Sapphire HD 5850 Toxic's in CrossfireX Lack Performance

Redsnake77

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
OK, upon completing my new build I've installed Stalker Clear Sky, Crysis and Far Cry 2 in order to compare my systems performance to the results published on Tom's Hardware for their article Radeon HD 5850: Knocking Down GTX 295 In CrossFire. I'm down by 10 to 20% on Tom's benches when I add the same AA levels to Crysis and 40-50% in Far Cry 2, and for Clear sky I had to turn down Sun rays and Sun to medium, with Depth of Field turned off (I don't like the blurring effect) to get playable frame rates. I'm now using the Catalyst 10.2 hotfix from the Sapphire website. I've swapped the cards round and back again. I also tried the cards individually and didn't have to turn down Sun and Sun Rays in Clear Sky to achieve 25-30 FPS. Is this a problem with the 10.2 Catalyst working in Crossfire? My resolution is 1920 x 1200, I have 6GB DDR3 at 1600MHz, 8,8,8,24 timings, and I'm using an Enermaxy Galaxy 850w PSU. My OS is Win 7 64bit Home premium. Crossfire is enables in CCC, and I enabled the Show the Crossfire logo, to ensure. I'm running the cpu at stock speeds at the moment. Any help or advice would be appreciated, as I'm feeling bit swindled after upgrading from my overclocked E6850 and pair of BFG 8800GTX OC2 cards in SLI.

Theres something up with that, have you tryed both cards seperately to see if there both working fine on there own?

I take it your using a Core i7 920?

stalkerdx11ultratessela.png

You should be maxing Stalker easy. I'm using a single HD5850 @ stock, with a Core i7 920 @ 4Ghz 3GB of RAM.

Redsnake77

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Hi omgitzfatal. Yep tried them individually like I said, and they seemed to perform better, didn't have to turn down the Sun rays and Sun detail, but still only got 20-25fps. I'm using a stock clocked i7 930, but as Toms Crossfire review showed in the Lynnfield comparison on the second to last page these 3 games aren't as sensitive to clock rates as other games are. Do you know where I might be able download the 9.12 Catalyst? I couldn't find them on the AMD drivers sight, they seem to be pushing 10.2.