GPU for Intel D915 GAV

Mossimo

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
Hi all!

I have been out of the gaming scene for quiet some time and have been working mostly with business laptops which never had amazing graphic cards so I never really played any games on em.

Now I see all the new games coming out and I want to be able to play them on my old desktop system;

Processor: P4 3.20 GHz (Dual Core)
MOBO: Intel D915 GAV with PCI Express x 16 slot
RAM: 2 GB

Now I know what u r thinking, its a damn old system! BUT I just do not want to change it - just wanna stick a GPU in it so that I am at least able to play some of the newer games (even at lower graphics settings).

Ladies n gentlemen, what do u suggest? which GPU should I go for?

Well, if you're willing to lower detail settings, a 5670 will do the trick fine.

If you have a good PSU (5-6A to spare on a +12V rail) you could aim for a 5750 or 5770, but those cards might be a little bottlenecked (nothing worrysome, though). Now, if you plan on doing a system change in a year or so, you can carry them onto your next build getting a XFire system/MoBo wich is a nice plus to have with those cards.

Cheers!

EDIT: Added thought.

G

Hi MOSSIMO,
I too have a 915gav motherboard and nvidia 8600 gts card but i m running win xp on it... I am thinking of installing windows 7 on a different partition. But before that I want to make sure that motherboard , lan and audio drivers will work on Win 7 or not..as u have mentioned u have win & on 915 gav spo can u tell me which drivers u installed? original ones or u found any new drivers.
Intel site has no new drivers for win 7
Thanks in advance !!!

abhishekk1987

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2010
hi wa1
Well I was not asking about graphic card...I had purchased the card 1 yr back and its working grt...its a PNY verto xfx nvidia 8600 GTS 256 mb card ......wat i was asking is drivers of motherboard and lan and other drivers for win7. i have INTEL 915GAV MOTHERBOARD P4 3.0 GHZ WITH HYPER THREADING ENABLED, 500 GB,2 GB RAM 1*1 DUAL CHANNEL,

I INSTALLED WIN 7 3 DAYS BACK ON DIFFERENT PARTITION AND TO MY LUCK EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE ON MY PC... I DIDNT HAD TO LOAD MOTHERBOARD DRIVERS....I DONT KNOW HOW WIN 7 HAS DETECTED EVERYTHING AUTOMATICALLY....
BUT I HAVE INSTALLED MY NVIDIA DRIVER SEPARATELY....EVEYRTHING IS WORKING SMOOTH !!!!!!

HOWS YR PC RUNNING???

TRENDING THREADS