Motherboard help for first time buider

jeggi

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010
Hey all,
I'm currently working on building a mid level gaming computer and want to make sure I'm not bottling my system by choosing a bad motherboard. I'm not using out of this world components so I doubt its an issue. Here's whats going in:

XFX Radeon HD 5670 1GB

4 Gb Ram

Pentium Dual Core 2.93 Ghz

The motherboard I'm looking at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130234

I know the motherboard specs for FBS is plenty large for my processor but is there anything else I need to take into consideration? I don't plan on ever running crossfire so I don't care about having two two PCI slots.

Basically I'm trying to put together a fairly cheap system that can play Starcraft 2.

Thanks in advance!

Solution
MSI is a great manufacturer, highly recommended by me due to their excellent technical support, now on to your question;

No, you wont be bottlenecking your motherboard with 4GB or RAM, a 2.9 Dual Core, and a 5670.

I personally would go for an AMD CPU, cheaper bang for the buck. If you'd get an equally priced AMD CPU you could possible unlock a 3rd or 4th core (read newegg reviews to check their unlock rates ).

Not only that, but most motherboards now-a-days have an option to unlock those extra cores, very easily by just hitting a button.

You'll be fine running starcraft 2 with what you've chosen, don't except Full blown 1920x1080 - 100 FPS, but it shouldn't have a problem.

Also, what PSU/Case are you getting ? The 5670 is a...

dompolanco

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2010
MSI is a great manufacturer, highly recommended by me due to their excellent technical support, now on to your question;

No, you wont be bottlenecking your motherboard with 4GB or RAM, a 2.9 Dual Core, and a 5670.

I personally would go for an AMD CPU, cheaper bang for the buck. If you'd get an equally priced AMD CPU you could possible unlock a 3rd or 4th core (read newegg reviews to check their unlock rates ).

Not only that, but most motherboards now-a-days have an option to unlock those extra cores, very easily by just hitting a button.

You'll be fine running starcraft 2 with what you've chosen, don't except Full blown 1920x1080 - 100 FPS, but it shouldn't have a problem.

Also, what PSU/Case are you getting ? The 5670 is a fairly large video card, you may want to make sure it'll fit.

Solution

jeggi

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2010