Sign in with
Your question

Issue in LG HDD

Last response: in Storage
April 20, 2012 2:40:41 PM

Hello,
I've been using an LG HDD for some months now. 1 GB. All of a sudden, its stopped working properly. I cant copy files into it. Most of the times the copying window shows up, and then it reads 'calculating time remaining' for a few minutes, and then the HD disconnects.
Anybody help?

More about : issue hdd

a c 353 G Storage
April 20, 2012 3:03:53 PM

Whatt system???
Is this a real old system as 1 Gig HDDs are pretty old.
And did not know that LG made HDD, could you provide a model Number?

If infact HDD is only 1 GB (Note: just my windows 7 operating system + some programs take about 35 Gigs) click on Right click on My computer and select properties and look at how much fre space you have.
m
l
April 27, 2012 10:00:22 AM

RetiredChief said:
Whatt system???
Is this a real old system as 1 Gig HDDs are pretty old.
And did not know that LG made HDD, could you provide a model Number?

If infact HDD is only 1 GB (Note: just my windows 7 operating system + some programs take about 35 Gigs) click on Right click on My computer and select properties and look at how much fre space you have.

im so sorry. i meant 1 TB. This is whats written on its tag.
LG External HDD HXD7 1 TB
S/n 008NMXHHO6954

m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
April 27, 2012 11:46:05 AM

Sounds like you may have a failing HDD.
To check the HDD.
..Goto Start Button.
...Type Command
Should open a dialog box and at the top should say Command prompt
...Right click command prompt and select Run as administrator

In the Dos Box
.. Type in X: Then enter NOTE Do Not use X, use what ever drive letter your external drive is then
..Type chkdsk /R Then hit enter. This will check the HDD sectors and attempt to fix. It can take a long time depending on number of errors it finds.

LG's web site MAY have a bootable HDD uti;lity disk that you can download and create an ISO bootable CD to check the HDDs health.
m
l
May 4, 2012 6:30:06 AM

RetiredChief said:
Sounds like you may have a failing HDD.
To check the HDD.
..Goto Start Button.
...Type Command
Should open a dialog box and at the top should say Command prompt
...Right click command prompt and select Run as administrator

In the Dos Box
.. Type in X: Then enter NOTE Do Not use X, use what ever drive letter your external drive is then
..Type chkdsk /R Then hit enter. This will check the HDD sectors and attempt to fix. It can take a long time depending on number of errors it finds.

LG's web site MAY have a bootable HDD uti;lity disk that you can download and create an ISO bootable CD to check the HDDs health.

its not going to affect the files in the hd, is it? i dont want to lose the files in it.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
May 4, 2012 2:00:09 PM

chkdsk will only affect files that are in BAD clusters. It will attempt to recover the file and relocate to a good cluster. IF it can not, most likely you have lost the file anyways.
Will NOT effect files in good clusters.
m
l
!