Issue in LG HDD

Hello,
I've been using an LG HDD for some months now. 1 GB. All of a sudden, its stopped working properly. I cant copy files into it. Most of the times the copying window shows up, and then it reads 'calculating time remaining' for a few minutes, and then the HD disconnects.
Anybody help?
5 answers Last reply
More about issue
  1. Whatt system???
    Is this a real old system as 1 Gig HDDs are pretty old.
    And did not know that LG made HDD, could you provide a model Number?

If infact HDD is only 1 GB (Note: just my windows 7 operating system + some programs take about 35 Gigs) click on Right click on My computer and select properties and look at how much fre space you have.
  2. RetiredChief said:
    Whatt system???
    Is this a real old system as 1 Gig HDDs are pretty old.
    And did not know that LG made HDD, could you provide a model Number?

If infact HDD is only 1 GB (Note: just my windows 7 operating system + some programs take about 35 Gigs) click on Right click on My computer and select properties and look at how much fre space you have.

im so sorry. i meant 1 TB. This is whats written on its tag.
    LG External HDD HXD7 1 TB
    S/n 008NMXHHO6954
  3. Sounds like you may have a failing HDD.
    To check the HDD.
    ..Goto Start Button.
    ...Type Command
    Should open a dialog box and at the top should say Command prompt
    ...Right click command prompt and select Run as administrator

In the Dos Box
    .. Type in X: Then enter NOTE Do Not use X, use what ever drive letter your external drive is then
    ..Type chkdsk /R Then hit enter. This will check the HDD sectors and attempt to fix. It can take a long time depending on number of errors it finds.

LG's web site MAY have a bootable HDD uti;lity disk that you can download and create an ISO bootable CD to check the HDDs health.
  4. RetiredChief said:
    Sounds like you may have a failing HDD.
    To check the HDD.
    ..Goto Start Button.
    ...Type Command
    Should open a dialog box and at the top should say Command prompt
    ...Right click command prompt and select Run as administrator

In the Dos Box
    .. Type in X: Then enter NOTE Do Not use X, use what ever drive letter your external drive is then
    ..Type chkdsk /R Then hit enter. This will check the HDD sectors and attempt to fix. It can take a long time depending on number of errors it finds.

LG's web site MAY have a bootable HDD uti;lity disk that you can download and create an ISO bootable CD to check the HDDs health.

its not going to affect the files in the hd, is it? i dont want to lose the files in it.
  5. chkdsk will only affect files that are in BAD clusters. It will attempt to recover the file and relocate to a good cluster. IF it can not, most likely you have lost the file anyways.
    Will NOT effect files in good clusters.
Ask a new question

Read More

Hard Drives LG Storage