suedehed

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
Just got a new Dell Optiplex 980 with a Core i7. Its nice, but the 2 ATI video cards are not as powerful as my Nvidia. Problem is the Dell PSU doesnt have an PCI-E power connector. I need to find something to replace it. I've found a few for the Optiplex 960, not sure if they will suffice. Anyone have any ideas?

t1ggr

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
I have the same problem, it seems Dell has a proprietary thing going on the motherboard power connector called "micro atx power" or something. This stops you from installing a beefier psu (like 500W+), since the ATX power supply will not fit into the motherboard. Hopefully there is some solution avaliable soon to me (as I got a new radeon hd 5570 card I cannot use at the moment due to the built in PSU is 350W and no 12v power connector exists for PCI-e.

Anyone got a clue to what you can do about this?

t1ggr

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
No, not problem solved, as the built in PSU is only 350W and I need 450W atleast, which means I have to swap the PSU, and the new PSU won't have the mini power connector to motherboard.. Also there is no power outputs to support that even.

suedehed

Distinguished
May 31, 2010

That wont work as the Dell PSU has only SATA connections and as noted below, is only 350.. oh well I guess I sell the Dell on Ebay now..