What mobo to pick (my supplier is out of Asus)

martyz1980

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Hey all i finally ordered my new components after days of reading up and such.

I ended up with the following parts for my upgrade :

Intel I7-950
Asus Sabertooth X58
Cosair Dominator 6Gb Tri-Kit CL7
Asus Nvidia GTX470

Turns out they cant supply the mobo anymore, they dont have the Asus P6T, P6T se nor the Sabertooth.

The offered the following options :

ASRock X58 Extreme3 (Retail, FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX)
MSI X58 Pro-E (Retail, FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX)
GIGABYTE GA-X58-USB3 (Retail, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX)
Asus P6X58D-E (Retail, FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX)
Asus P6T Deluxe V2 X58 (Retail, FW, RAID, Gb-LAN, Sound, ATX)

Problem with these options is that the last 3 mobo's are more than 50 euros above my budget.
Only the Asrock and MSI boards are the same priced as the Asus P6T.

I dont know what to do, does any1 have experience with one of these other mobo's ?
I'm a real Asus fan and i think they are best for overclocking and thats also what i intend to do.

Any advice ?

Cheers

^^ Out of the boards that you have listed, the
Asus P6X58D-E, Asus P6T Deluxe V2 will be the best options if overclocking but the -E has SATA 6GB/s and USB3.0 which the V2 doesnt have and conversely the -E doesnt have eSATA and Dual-Lan that the V2 offers...
But the ASRock seems to be a decent board if on a tight budget...
http://www.guru3d.com/article/asrock-x58-extreme3-review/

martyz1980

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
Thanks for all the imput guys, in the end i went for the asus P6X58D-E.

Turned out when i got the hardware one of the bits was broken.
When i was finished assembling the new pc it booted fine, installed Windows and after windows install was done it wouldnt boot into windows itself (didnt overclock or anything this was in default setting).
Halfway the loading screen the pc would just reset itself and start booting all over again :(
I tried bios default settings and after put in the Ram timings and voltage, both didnt work.
Only when i turned off a lot of CPU features like speedstep and turbo boost (basicly all the CPU fearures) the PC would boot further than windows loading screen but whenever i would load up a program or completely random the pc would go black instanly and restart again.

The four new components which i bought are back at the shop now for testing and they already admitted that 1 bit of hardware is broken because they are having the same issue in their test setup.
They are now testing my I7-950 CPU, Asus P6X58D-E mobo, Cosair DDR3 dominator trikit and the Nvidia GTX470.
Its most likely the motherboard since i alrady tested the videocard in another pc and i was able to do a 4 hour prime95 test on the pc with no erros.

Im just really scared now that my new hardware has been in a broken motherboard for almost a week now and i dont know if my other components could have been damaged by this.
The shop will prolly replace the motherboard but i dont know about the other bits.

Any thoughts about this ?

I think i need to open a new threat for this but im not sure.

Cheers !

martyz1980

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010

I thought the mobo controlled things like the voltage and such which for example is being send to parts like ram and cpu, i cant imagine a broken mobo not harming those componens when its like over volting or something.

The reboots looked very power issue related if you know what i mean, no BSOD just a total instant blackout and than the reboot.

martyz1980

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2010
True, i never had a Dell before.
Actually i never owned a branded pc, i have been building my own systems for about 14 years now and i will NEVER buy a pre fabricated system...

...*Cough*... Rip Off ...*Cough*...

:)

Still no word from the shop though, im getting tired of waiting

TRENDING THREADS