Overclocking the amd fx-6100

toomuchtes

Honorable
Nov 25, 2012
This was my first pc build, so I didn't really know what I was doing when I bought all the parts. I decided to buy an amd fx-6100 and two radeon HD 7850s (dumb mistake I know, I self taught myself, it was my first time so I didn't low what I was doing. Please don't criticize, trial and error). Anyway, My cpu is bottlenecking the rest of my system and I don't have money to upgrade so I figured I should overclock to get more preformance until I have the money. I have a watercooler and also, I really don't know how to overclock. Can someone help me?

System specs:
amd fx-6100 3.3ghz
Asrock 970 extreme3
8gb DDR 3 1600mhz
Seidon 120m watercooler
1TB WD SATA 6g/s
GS700 (700-watt psu)
Two radeon HD 7850s

mgsnap

Honorable
Mar 30, 2013

On that system, go into your BIOS. OC the cpu to 4.0ghz, multiplier anywhere from 19x to 21x. increase your FSB which will say NB bus on your motherboard BOIS to 2600mhz 13x multiplier. Change your CPU voltage from anywhere between 1.38 to 1.4v Increase the NB bus voltage by 1.8v to 1.9v. Then do a stability test, poviding its all stable you may go up to MAX 4.2ghz, MAX multiplier 21x. You should then get a very good increase in performance or at least less bottle necking meaning higher FPS.

Note: Monitor cpu temps, should not never exeed 62 degrees celcius.
DO NOT, tamper with your ram, GPU clock or voltage settings, cpu frequency or anything else on the MoBo.

biopolar

Honorable
Mar 7, 2013
It's quite possible. I wasn't a fan of the FX6 Zambezi.

Before overclocking, reading(though boring and tedious) will be necessary.
Shell's link is a very good guide to start with. I would just start upping multipliers and FSBs and voltages all over the place.
Overclocking has its risks. Go slow, follow the guide.
Download Core temp, HWMonitor, Prime95.
You will need these to monitor your temps and prime95 for stability of the OC.