Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Need recommendation for a PSU on a partially purchased new build

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2010 3:30:53 PM

I've just started to order parts for my mainstream general purpose build and would like to get some ideas on the correct PSU.
This is my first build, been pushing a keyboard for many years.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: 19 March '10 BUDGET RANGE: $1100, After Rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: General surfing, beginning graphics manipulation, Movies and TV, Visio, seeing how many tabs I can open on my browser.

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS (TechNet) Win7 Ult 64bit.

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com, Micro Center COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: US

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU, ATI GPU, Case with good airflow,

OVERCLOCKING: Yes/Maybe SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No, not with my MOBO

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1680x1050

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS:
I have already purchased:

GA-P55A-UD4P LGA 1156 P55 ATX Motherboard

Core i5 750 Processor

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler

CORSAIR XMS3 8GB (4 x 2GB) DDR3 1600 CMX4GX3M2A1600C8

These are burning in as you read this.

I will be using my previous:
22" LCD Dell Monitor
Radeon HD4650 512mb (Until the GPU price drops, hopefully in the next couple of months, then HD 5770)
Keyboard Logitech Wave
Seagate 500GB SATA2 7200rpm 32MB cache (until I can get the SSD of my dreams)
Mouse, speakers, etc.

No DVD or floppy drives.

I have been roaming this great site (and others) for information for the last couple of years, and have read all of the stickies and many threads on new builds and many other subjects.

Narrowing the case down to likely the HAF 922.

PSU that I have in mind:

Corsair VX550W

Corsair HX620W

Any other PSUs I should be looking at?
Is there an advantage to 3 rails, or is 1 good? Modular?

Thanks for any feedback.

Best solution

March 22, 2010 3:43:45 PM

the 620 is good but there has been a 650 watt revision of in in the form of the hx650

a good psu is a good psu irrespective of how many rails it has

you might wanna look into the antec earthwatts 650 it tends to be round the same price as the vx 550

the best 650 watt unit on the market is the seasonic X650 if you want the best

but other then that either one should be good depending on how high spec graphics card you gonna get or if you planning on dual graphics card in future

500 watts is more then sufficient to power any single graphics card,650 watts to 750 watts for dual cards the newer ati 5 series dont need a lot of power Ati reccommends 600 watts for dual 5 series but as said depends on how high you gonna go with your graphics cards
March 22, 2010 4:18:22 PM

Thanks for the reply,
Will be using a single card, my MOBO has limited channels, if USB3 and SATA 6GB comes out I'd like to use them.
I'm from the US but living overseas now, my brother is burning in the MOBO, CPU and RAM, then will send it to me. Couldn't find a reasonable P55 board here.
I'm limited to what I can get locally, haven't found any seasonic here yet, I have looked. Can get Corsair, Antec and lots of not recognizable brands.
Was planning on 550w, but will get 650w for a safety margin.
Won't worry about the rails.
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2010 4:25:09 PM

650watts can quite easily run dual 5770's with room to spare you could throw a 5970 on a 650watts and still toy around on medium power usage

550 watts if fine for just bout anything i just said the antec 650 because its so close to the vx 550's price
m
l
March 23, 2010 12:42:40 AM

Best answer selected by Dave76.
m
l
!