Which is the best PCI Express X16 low profile graphics card for gaming

salmanstm

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2010
I have a low profile pci express slot. I cant upgrade my pc so i want the best graphics card available for pci express X16 low profile to fulfil my gaming needs.

nrnx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I am pretty sure that the OPs system has no higher than a 350W PSU for a HTPC/Low profile. The card I listed is indeed the best for the price. If you had a slightly bigger PSU that 250 would work just fine, however it is more than likely you don't so the 5570 is your best bet.

Oh good, another slimline. I wish people would stop buying those.

The absolute best thing you can do is take everything out of the crappy slimline case and put it into a regular case. Then upgrade the power supply and video card. Because as others have said, your odds of finding a slimline power supply that can handle anything decent are about zero. When all this is over, smash the old slimline case with a hammer so no one else can use it.

Of course, you could still be screwed if your motherboard has an oddball proprietary power connector. Then your only option is to get a whole new machine. So check that it has a standard 24-pin or 20-pin connection before you do anything. Dell or HP or whoever doesn't make any money if you upgrade your machine with off-the-shelf parts, so they will do their best to make it difficult and steer you into buying a new Dell or HP or whatever. If your motherboard does turn out to be the proprietary kind, don't reward that type of bullshit; just learn to build a new machine yourself instead of staying beholden to the pre-built manufacturers.

mister g

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Correct, you just have to pull out all the wires and remember to put them back in the right place when you put it in a new case. And with a new case there will be no low profile slot, although if you got a low-profile card... you might want to buy a full one.

nrnx

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
I don't think there is such a thing as a "low profile slot", its the card itself which is low profile the motherboard should be a full pci-e slot. If you get a new case and PSU you can go with a Radeon 5770 and have great gaming performance and awesome HD video.