Closed

Dell Battery LED

Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
wasn't last night when this started).

Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
dont have a good battery monitor, either.

Duane
6 answers Last reply
More about dell battery

    Make that 4 short yellow and 1 long green, I miscounted.

    It's probably worth mentioning that I've been having memory trouble
    over the past couple of days. I wouldn't expect that it is related,
    as the memory trouble started days ago and the blinking light just
    started last night, but who knows.

    Duane

    Duane Morin wrote:
    > Make that 4 short yellow and 1 long green, I miscounted.
    >
    > It's probably worth mentioning that I've been having memory trouble
    > over the past couple of days. I wouldn't expect that it is related,
    > as the memory trouble started days ago and the blinking light just
    > started last night, but who knows.
    >
    > Duane
    >
    > dmorin@gmail.com (Duane Morin) wrote in message news:<60428b02.0409040525.67c0386a@posting.google.com>...
    >
    >>Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
    >>funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
    >>change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
    >>at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
    >>wasn't last night when this started).
    >>
    >>Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
    >>basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
    >>battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
    >>dont have a good battery monitor, either.
    >>
    >>Duane
    I've got a Latitude CPi r400 and the same thing happened to me the night
    before last. I think it might have something to do with overheating.
    Did you test the battery by pressing the button on the battery? When I
    tested mine, it blinked three green lights. I'm letting my battery sit
    a couple of days and then I'll reinstall it and see what happens. If
    the cells get too hot I guess it take awhile for them to cool down.
    Anyway, I recharged my battery and it charged 100% and lasted about 1
    hour, the same as before. But the light pattern you described was still
    going on the whole time the battery was installed on my computer.

    i have the exact same problem with 4 orange short and 1 green long.

    Reviewing the Dell System Documentation provides ABSOLUTELY no help.

    When I take out the battery and press the battery LED lights on the
    back of the battery, I get the three blinking lights just like the
    other poster...anyone have any ideas what this could be?

    Thanks

    dmorin@gmail.com (Duane Morin) wrote in message news:<60428b02.0409040525.67c0386a@posting.google.com>...
    > Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
    > funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
    > change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
    > at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
    > wasn't last night when this started).
    >
    > Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
    > basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
    > battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
    > dont have a good battery monitor, either.
    >
    > Duane
  4. Quote:

    i have the exact same problem with 4 orange short and 1 green long.

    Reviewing the Dell System Documentation provides ABSOLUTELY no help.

    When I take out the battery and press the battery LED lights on the
    back of the battery, I get the three blinking lights just like the
    other poster...anyone have any ideas what this could be?

    Thanks

    dmorin@gmail.com (Duane Morin) wrote in message news:<60428b02.0409040525.67c0386a@posting.google.com>...
    > Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
    > funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
    > change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
    > at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
    > wasn't last night when this started).
    >

    > Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
    > basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
    > battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
    > dont have a good battery monitor, either.
    >
    > Duane

    the battery is kaput or will be soon its ur laptop lettin you know its dying
  5. Same blinking pattern. But the battery runs for over 3 hours, and recharges fine.

    I thought of flashing the bios to see if there is a correction?
  6. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Battery LED Monitor Laptops