Dell Battery LED

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
wasn't last night when this started).

Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
dont have a good battery monitor, either.

Duane

Make that 4 short yellow and 1 long green, I miscounted.

It's probably worth mentioning that I've been having memory trouble
over the past couple of days. I wouldn't expect that it is related,
as the memory trouble started days ago and the blinking light just
started last night, but who knows.

Duane

Duane Morin wrote:
> Make that 4 short yellow and 1 long green, I miscounted.
>
> It's probably worth mentioning that I've been having memory trouble
> over the past couple of days. I wouldn't expect that it is related,
> as the memory trouble started days ago and the blinking light just
> started last night, but who knows.
>
> Duane
>
> dmorin@gmail.com (Duane Morin) wrote in message news:<60428b02.0409040525.67c0386a@posting.google.com>...
>
>>Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
>>funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
>>change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
>>at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
>>wasn't last night when this started).
>>
>>Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
>>basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
>>battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
>>dont have a good battery monitor, either.
>>
>>Duane
I've got a Latitude CPi r400 and the same thing happened to me the night
before last. I think it might have something to do with overheating.
Did you test the battery by pressing the button on the battery? When I
tested mine, it blinked three green lights. I'm letting my battery sit
a couple of days and then I'll reinstall it and see what happens. If
the cells get too hot I guess it take awhile for them to cool down.
Anyway, I recharged my battery and it charged 100% and lasted about 1
hour, the same as before. But the light pattern you described was still
going on the whole time the battery was installed on my computer.

i have the exact same problem with 4 orange short and 1 green long.

Reviewing the Dell System Documentation provides ABSOLUTELY no help.

When I take out the battery and press the battery LED lights on the
back of the battery, I get the three blinking lights just like the
other poster...anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

dmorin@gmail.com (Duane Morin) wrote in message news:<60428b02.0409040525.67c0386a@posting.google.com>...
> Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
> funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
> change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
> at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
> wasn't last night when this started).
>
> Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
> basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
> battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
> dont have a good battery monitor, either.
>
> Duane

i have the exact same problem with 4 orange short and 1 green long.

Reviewing the Dell System Documentation provides ABSOLUTELY no help.

When I take out the battery and press the battery LED lights on the
back of the battery, I get the three blinking lights just like the
other poster...anyone have any ideas what this could be?

Thanks

dmorin@gmail.com (Duane Morin) wrote in message news:<60428b02.0409040525.67c0386a@posting.google.com>...
> Just last night the battery LED on my inspiron 5150 started blinking a
> funny pattern -- 3 orange short, then 1 green long. This does not
> change regardless of whether the AC is connected or not. BIOS check
> at power on tells me that the battery is 100% charged (though it
> wasn't last night when this started).
>

> Anybody know what that's all about? I used to have a ThinkPad that
> basically lost its ability to hold a charge, and I'm worried that my
> battery on this one is dying. Since I run Linux on it without ACPI I
> dont have a good battery monitor, either.
>
> Duane

the battery is kaput or will be soon its ur laptop lettin you know its dying

frames

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2011
Same blinking pattern. But the battery runs for over 3 hours, and recharges fine.

I thought of flashing the bios to see if there is a correction?