Sign in with
Your question

Guinea Pig Needed - Windows 32-bit + 4GB RAM

Last response: in Memory
a c 347 } Memory
November 23, 2010 11:00:45 PM

Trial of 32-bit OS with 4GB RAM - Resources, Subjective Performance, and Stability.

I am curious and so are others, unfortunately all my rigs are Win 7 x64 Pro so I cannot test a theory.

Windows 32-bit can only access 4GB period ; so it 'seems' odd to me to use a Page File {slow} in exchange for Real RAM {fast}. Therefore, 'why do it'?

Try turning-off the Page File {see image}; but first post your Resource Monitor Before & After. I understand the 'page file' extended memory, but I'm not convinced it any more stable than a full 4GB of real running out vs 3.5GB real + 0.5 + extended.

#1 - Post the 'standard' Resource Monitor:

#2 - Turn-Off Page File and Restart:

#3 - Post the 'NO PAGE FILE' Resource Monitor:
{see above}

#4 - Try to 'Break' a/k/a use the heck out of your rig and report findings. Most of you will notice an Improvement.

Thanks! :D 

a b } Memory
November 23, 2010 11:50:46 PM

I have done that.

The improvement is good. But you must have lots of memory.
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
November 24, 2010 1:35:39 AM

I'm trying to 'see' the differences in the Resource Manager. I've tried it before too and specifically I'm looking for 'maxed' 32-bit RAM. So if you could I'd like to see the before and after Resource Manager.

Thanks!
m
l
Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
November 24, 2010 1:50:54 PM

Set up free account at photobucket.com, 'print screen' {use Alt + PrtScn} - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Print_screen , Use Photoshop or Paint - save as jpeg, upload, in the Post body or use photobucket.com's 'IMG Code' {click on it copies the code and URL. Sounds like a pain, but after a few times it's silly easy. Too I often link an outside image by right click 'copy image URL...

Thanks!
m
l
a c 347 } Memory
November 24, 2010 6:39:36 PM

VERY Remote my assumption {good assumption} is that if you got to the point of running out of RAM then you'd need open almost every App on your rig, and Physical or virtual {Page File} won't make too much difference to get a BSOD.

Keep the Resource Manager open to keep an eye on your RAM; I turn-off the Page File all of the time on my i7 and never get close to running out.
m
l
!