Sign in with
Your question

Request or information and guidance

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2010 5:07:21 PM

I've been reading your great site and think I'm ready to order my parts for my first homebuild. I guess, while I maybe going overboard in some areas, I really would like to know if this system will work.

I have a case, monitor, mouse and keyboard. I planning on ordering the following:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-780XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb/s

PU: COOLER MASTER UCP RS900-AAAAA3 900W

VIDEO: 2 SAPPHIRE Vapor-X 100283VHL Radeon HD 5770

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1002FAEX 1TB 7200 RPM

RAM: for a total of 8GB 2 G.SKILL 4GB (2X2GB 240-Pin DDR3

OPTIC: PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CDE Writer Black SAT

Rosewill RCR-IC00274-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5 Internal Card Reader

Koutch PCI to USB 2.0 Card Model IO-PU520

Arcitic Silver 5 Thermal Coumpound OEM

Will this sytem work ? Is if, at least a little future proof. I'm waiting for you opinions before I hit the order button. Two cards, cross fire, yeh, will it work ?

Thank you as always for you assistance and thoughts.

Sam
March 22, 2010 7:24:42 PM

It WILL work ... but some of your choices are unwise and some others are not the best component for the price/performance ...

... Want to take them on, one at a time, with explanations ?? ... OR ... Do you just want us to show you how we would modify to suit your apparent intent ??

= Alvin =
m
l
Related resources
March 22, 2010 7:44:46 PM

This build is for gaming?
What is your budget?

There is more than one Phenom II Black edition.

Cooler Master sells a few decent PSUs, but most are not. The one you chose has not been properly reviewed and should be avoided. Your build does NOT need 70A on the 12V rail... but you want to buy for the future so that's OK. Just get a good PSU:

Corsair HX850
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Corsair 850TX

OCZZ850M

There are other good ones but none available on newegg atm.

Next, unless you are purchasing 64-bit XP anything more than about 3GB of RAM will be useless. if you ARE getting 64-bit, forget it. It's junk.
64-bit Vista or Win 7 are fine, and will support 8GB. However, you will not see any benefit in games from more than 4GB.
m
l
March 22, 2010 8:20:31 PM

I heartily agree, on all counts ...

... mY little contribution, to this thread, is that TWO 5770s will both be trash in under 2 years with no upgrade path.

MUCh better to got with ONE SINGLE Radeon 5870, NOW and add a 2nd one in 18 months (when it will be DIRT CHEAP !! ) Think about that. Check benchmarks ... All the senior techs, here, are of unified consensus, on that point. 2x5770 is just the worst cost/longevity option there is!. DO THE MATH !! Seriously !

= Alvin =
m
l
March 22, 2010 8:34:08 PM

On the BLACK QUAD CPU ...

The 965 is just a 955 that is incremented by one multiplier ....

If you spend the price difference on a CoolerMaster Hyper212 cooler, you can run that 955 faster than a stock 965, in about 2 seconds flat.

Regardless of which you choose ... get one with a model number that ends with "MBOX" ... Do not get the "IBOX" stepping. ("much improved" MMU)

= Alvin =
m
l
March 22, 2010 8:38:48 PM

RAM: Preferably, one DUAL channel kit (to match desired capacity... fewer timing issues with 2 sticks total) ... You want them in staggered slots with an empty RAM socket in between (this is a config requirement ... not just for cooling/expansion).

G.Skill RipJaws 2x4GB Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 CAS7 (or 2x(2x2GB) if must)

= Alvin =
m
l
March 25, 2010 12:30:24 PM

Thanks for all the great advice and after you give the final Approval on my parts list, I'll make my order. I never would have started this project without the help of my son and your advice in showing me sites that take me step by step in build a rig.
With out further ado:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4 GHz Socket AM3 125W

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA 6Gb's USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard

Cooler: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus (Although it doesn't say anthing about being for the AMD, I was advised by on the experts that this one was the best and cheeper in price than the one I orignally listed. Thank you)

RAM: G.SKILL 8GB (4x2GB) 240-pin DDR3 1600. (Everone says I won't need more than 4GB to gaming, but I do powerpoint prosentations and would like to try other things so . . . . Getting more will keep my broher in-law happy) Does this RAM come with any bands to protect them from heat ?

GPU: 2 SAPPHIER Vapor-X Radeon HD5770 cards (When the price of the 5850's comes down, I'll them)

HD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5 TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0 Gb/s

OPT: PLEXTOR 24x DVD/CD Writer Black SATA

O/S: Windown XP Pro O.E.M. (I've got a copy of Windows 7 Home Edition but my home network and most of my games are currently on XP. After I've learned more about the new Windows I'll convert everything. In the meantime, I'd like tdo start this rig on XP platform)

EXTRA: Rosewill RHB-220 4-port USB 2.0 Hub

EXTRA: Rosewill RCR-1C002 74-in1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Cad Reader w/USB port

Goop: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

That's my rig and some of the reason's why. My big question:

Will it word ? Am I buying any of the totally wrong part ? Should I purchase any cable packages or lights to avoid a trip to Radio shack after I start assembly.

You site is the best. I've spent several eveing here when I started spend a half hour and lifted by head up two hours later.

Thank again. I'm looking to making my order and getting started.

SAM
m
l
March 25, 2010 2:20:23 PM

you can just buy windows 7 pro it has a full XP mode
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:11:36 PM

I would recommend going with this hard drive... SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB

The Seagate 1.5TB have been know to have firmware issues and the Samsung Spinpoint F3 is one of the fastest non-SSD hard drive you can buy!
m
l
March 25, 2010 3:28:57 PM

OK, I switched out the hard drive. Willl my system work ? 8 GB RAM, 2GB strips in each of the 4 memory slots ?
m
l
March 25, 2010 6:46:49 PM

Well, not exactly.

There are three kits matching your description
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=E...
However probably will not run at 1600Mhz on that machine, so they are a bit of a waste.
You are more likely to be able to run at 1333Mhz. This is a limitation of the CPU.
This Corsair Dominator kit might be your best option

I'm not seeing what PSU you settled on, and you won't need quite that much power in this build. If you want to keep your options open though, here's a full list of power supplies in the 70 amp range, ranked and with links to the reviews.
http://rankedpsulist.dabbledb.com/publish/rankedpsulist...
m
l
March 25, 2010 6:49:58 PM

i'd like to reiterate that buying two 5770s now is not optimal. a single 5870, or failing that a 5850, will suit you just fine in the short term and give you an upgrade path for the long. the price is roughly the same.
m
l
March 25, 2010 7:21:12 PM

whatelsematters said:
i'd like to reiterate that buying two 5770s now is not optimal. a single 5870, or failing that a 5850, will suit you just fine in the short term and give you an upgrade path for the long. the price is roughly the same.

BING-GO ! ! !

There are over 10 good reasons to go with ONE SINGLE BETTER CARD "out of the gate" ... Truthfully, I am sick and tired of typing all those reasons out for those of you who fall into this "lust or bust" trap.

I'll just say, ... do yersef a great big favor and listen to this advice ... we live here ... we keep each other "very honest" ... This is WHY TOU CAME!

= Al = ... sigh.
m
l
March 25, 2010 7:34:50 PM

Proximon said:
However probably will not run at 1600Mhz on that machine, so they are a bit of a waste.
You are more likely to be able to run at 1333Mhz. This is a limitation of the CPU.
This Corsair Dominator kit might be your best option

(1) Why would you get the Corsair Dominator @ 1333 for $249 When you can hav TWO 2x2GB G.Skil 1600 CAS7 kits for $228 ??? (minus $21)?

(2) Won't the 1600 run at 1333 ??

(3) Did you know you can take any 3 of those 4 1600s and stick them in a Socket 1366 TRIPLE CHANNEL mobo and crank to the max ??

. . . Why would'n you want more performance overhead and more forward portability ??? For $21 LESS ??

I must be missing something, here ... please do set me straight !

= Alvin =
m
l
March 25, 2010 7:54:19 PM

1) Corsair support, and a kit that is guaranteed (by Corsair) to work. G.skill is a good company but they don't have the support.

2) Yes. Although if it tries to boot up at 1600 and fails the OP won't have a spare 1333 DDR3 lying around to boot into BIOS and fix it.

3) I'm not sure how comparing an Intel system is relevant. This is the AMD memory controller we are talking about. It's not something that can be updated with software.

So the real question would be, why would you trade compatibility and ease of use for a FRACTION of one FPS in Crysis?
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/phenom-ii-ddr3,2319...
m
l
March 25, 2010 8:37:06 PM

Lotta "IF"s there ...

... So you are saying "definitavely" that ASUS or GIGABYTE AM3 boards will choke on it (with his proc) ?? The bios won't step down for "Sure-Boot" ??? That is the norm ?

Support ??? Now I'm snorting so hard snot is coming out of my nose !!!
... I'm gonna pay 10% more for a laof of WonderBread(TM) ?? For "Support" ???
... Pardon me while I choke ... It works or it doesn't ... RMA

(3) . . . I'm sayin' he can move that RAM to a triple channel, should the need arise, and it will be more viable and portable (to someone), in future.

(IV) . . . It is cheaper, too!

There *IS* some logic to going with a stock carbuerator, on a new mustang, rather than to use a better racing part, that is cheaper.

... You should prolly be a little ashamed at sowing fear of "no boot". Is Corsair paying you ?? (PS: Love their "P" series SSDs ! .. Bought a P128).

= Al =
m
l
March 25, 2010 8:50:06 PM

Continuing the RAM discussion ... (if you please)

Sorry for the "uppity" tone ... It may surprise us both to learn that I don't know absolutely everything about everything and I do respect that you (largely) know your dope.

A L S O > > > ... I am gettin a Gigabyte 890 w/a 955 (in my cart right now) and I (myself) have 2x of the G.Skill 4GB kits in my cart as well ...

... If what you are saying is the whole honest truth, then maybe I/we should seek an even CHEAPER kit of "commodity RAM" (@1333) ... without the adornments and fancy names ... something in a CRUCIAL or ADATA generic green or brown ??

= Al = With more respect than may seem apparent.

m
l
March 25, 2010 9:09:22 PM

While these might not "Dominate", they sure are cheaper ... Would these be that much worse than the Corsair ? (MINUS $61 ! )

EDIT: CORRECTION ... THESE ARE $60.01 Cheaper than the Dominator ... are the Dominators REALLY that much better ??

I am having a hard time wrapping my brain around this ... it is tiny. (big head ... little brain).

= ? =
m
l
March 25, 2010 10:05:55 PM

The Dominators aren't any better than any other RAM with the same specs. You just pay for the name. The real difference is the speed and timings. The Kingston RAM would work, but I'm not crazy about the 1333 MHz rating combined with CAS 9. If it was my system I'd spend $20 more on these:

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail $114.99

1600MHz along with CAS 7 timings for a great price.
m
l
March 25, 2010 10:15:38 PM

Well that was what I had in my cart already and what I suggested in the first place ... Then my "senior" comes into the thread trying to sow all sorts of doubt about boot-fails and other stuff ... Am I right (technically and socially) in my "all-good/nofear" defense ??? He is saying the proc (965.client/955.mine) won't acheive 1600 anyway and the bios might hang (without possibility of access).

That *sounds* like utter BS, to me ... It has me second guessing what I thought I knew and may be needlessly sowing doubt and clouding the issue ...

... I am doing my rig x4-955 because I can't afford a 930 ... I have said that more ram is faster than faster ram ... The kingston is very inexpensive ... I am ready to go with 8GB of the 1600 Jaws ... Now this guy is trying to Dominate my action.

= Alvin =
m
l
March 25, 2010 10:23:49 PM

I think this conversation is best moved to your own thread. This is turning into quite an impressive hijack. That said, I highly respect Proximon. He's been around a long time and contributed a ton to this forum. 4GB of the Ripjaws wouldn't have a problem running at their rated specs on your system. Proximon is correct in saying you may have to drop the speed down to 1333MHz when running 8GB, though. The on-board RAM controller on the AMD chips has a hard time running 8GB at 1600MHz. I would still get that RAM. The worst case is that you would have to drop the speed down to 1333MHz for stability. The speed difference will be negligible anyway.
m
l
March 25, 2010 10:48:57 PM

^+1...

I'm with shortstuff_mt on highly respecting Proximon and his contribution to this forum. He is one of the few I would seek personal feedback on issues with, along with the likes of JohnnyLucky, shortstuff_mt, randomizer, hunter315 and a few others.
m
l
March 25, 2010 11:02:46 PM

I just wanted to make sure the OP realizes if he gets the 955, he can have equivalent of the 965 in a few clicks?
m
l
March 25, 2010 11:57:10 PM

I have no problems with this thread :)  I just think I need to be clearer, and I can sum up my position very quickly:

Buying an 8GB kit will ensure that the company involved, whichever that happens to be, supports that kit as an 8GB kit. They sell it as 8GB, they are saying it will work as 8GB.
You buy 2 4GB kits, they can say, "we never intended those kits to run as 8GB."

Much of my concern here is just that the OP will have a smooth building experience. My impression is that two 4GB 1600 kits probably have an 85-90% chance of working plug-and-play.
m
l
March 26, 2010 1:21:58 AM

Great ... thanks ... much clearer ...

Was not trying to hijack ANY-thing ... Just wanted the "correct" answer for BOTH our very similar (potentially 8GB) builds.

Not trying to hijack anything ... Yeah ... The Zombie seemed out of character. I wasn't getting that but ALL makes perfect sense, now.

I hope you can understand my OWN confusion ... Truthfully ... I didn't think timings were that tight, at 1600. I guess they are (10% or more of the time .. significant).

= Al =
m
l
!