CPU/GPU Temps and BSODS

soulbringer

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Hey guys, I generally dont get this stuck, but im loosing my ***.

I recently upgraded my CPU cooler to the Zalman CNPS9700LED, and my gfx from 9800gt to HD48701gb. I know when i put the zalman on i put too much thermal paste (arctic silver) on the cpu, so i shutdown, removed and cleaned. then put the right amount on and reseated everything. I also done this to the 4870, as the thermal paste on that was no good.

At the moment the cpu idles at 30c Stable, and GPU at 39c. when i play a game or something it will rarely climb more then 10c.

I have:

E6600 @2.4 (oc's to 2.93)
P5QL-SE mobo
2gb DDR2 667
550w psu
2 HDD
stock, or overclocked im getting a BSOD when im playing game and the event logs are not as helpful as you would think. Win7 doesnt give me an error code. I cant think of what to do ?..

Any suggestions?

Set it back to stock settings and see if you still receive BSODs. If you don't receive any BSODs, then it's most likely an unstable overclock. Otherwise, did you remember to remove your 9800 GT drivers before installing your HD 4870?

soulbringer

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Yeah, thats generally an easy fix. I was using the builtin overclock profile on the mobo for an age (just 20% as my ram wont tolerate any more) and that was fine since the day i got my mobo. It was bsoding then, so i restored setup defaults on the mobo. And when i upgraded the card i reinstalled win7 shortly after, i do understand the conflicts involved with leaving traces of nvidia/ati drivers. Searched the registry and now the only nvidia product is the AGEIA (nvidia ) physX installation.
Im a qualified computer technician, and have exhausted all of the general trouble shooting steps. Im just hoping there was a common answer like ati driver versions being gay. I have recently rolled back the driver and so far so good but its a very random thing so i cant do somthing to test if this works

vvhocare5

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2008
Its not the ATI driver...and you call yourself a computer technician - seriously....?

Its the overclock.
Have you run Prime for any period of time?
Memtest?
Furmark?

You need to test and isolate/verify each area of your system. Start with the CPU, go to memory and then graphics - then start oc'ing

soulbringer

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
Funny story, i really am a qualified tech, it would seem however one of my problems is not being able to explain things clearly.

My current system is all set to default. Thats what i meant when i said i "restored setup defaults"
As for the graphics card, i have not touched the clock settings just enable ccc overdrive to adjust fan speed. when i pulled the pc apart i was working in a static free environment, and put the pc back the same way as before i started. and yes i have run all of the benchmarking util's and all of the testing software at my disposal. i am assuming that this is a driver error and have rolled back the drivers to see if my problem continues.