Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Request for Assistance

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2010 6:01:28 PM

I am new to the idea of building a computer. If anyone were to ask me, can't drive a nail to . . . . . But as a teenager I did rebuild a couple of hotrods so can building a gaming system be far off. I think I'm ready to order parts and start building. I've got my list made, can you tell me will it work ? Somethings I overdid for gaming or at least making my rid 3 years worth of future proof.

To begin with I've got the case, monitor, keyboard and mouse. Stuff on my order, thus far are:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition

MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-790XTA-UD4 AM3 AMD 790X SATA

HSF: COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus

GPU: 2 SAPPHIER Vapor-X Radeon HD5770 cards.

RAM: 8GB of RAM in the form of 8 2GB Strips of G.SKILL 240-Pin DDR3

HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD10002FEX 1TB 7200 RPM

OPT: PLEXTOR 24X DVD/CD Writer Black SATA Model

Rosewill RCR-1C002 74-in-1 USB 2.0 3.5" Internal Card Reader

Koutch PCI to USB2.0 Card Model 10-PU530

Glue/Goup: Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound

Thank you for patience and understanding. I've tried to take the best ideas and work them into a AMD system that can be a multifunctional tool or myself. My plan is to be able to play Video game from Long Island with my brothers in Virginia and Texas. Am I there ? Will this work ?

More about : request assistance

a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2010 6:49:25 PM

PSU??? I don't see one list as bought or need to buy. I would recommend Corsair 650TX or Antec EA-650 for your build. They have plenty of power for your system.

HDD: I would look at the Seagate 7200.12 1TB hard drive over the WD Black 1TB. The Seagate is based on 500GB platters, which makes them faster than the WD.

RAM: If the build is a gaming build, there is no need for more than 4GB of RAM, so drop 4GB's to save a little cash.
Score

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2010 7:03:25 PM

Not bad at all, especially for a first build.

Instead of two 5770s, I would go for a single 5850 or a single 5870 for your video card, depending on your budget. If you're starting from scratch, always go for a single card over crossfired cards if the performance and price is comparable. You'll have much less in the way of potential issues, not to mention better future flexibility and less heat.

I would also recommend the Seagate over the WD drive. If you don't mind going down to 500GB, the Samsung Spinpoint is highly rated as well.
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2010 7:22:52 PM

^+1... capt_taco's comment on the ATI 5850.

It is a good idea to get a single GPU, which allows you to add a second GPU when games become to demanding for one GPU....

Also, I would recommend getting Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit for your operating system.

Score
February 23, 2012 1:10:26 AM

Best answer selected by mousemonkey.
Score
February 23, 2012 1:10:27 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!