Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Solved

Need Advice on HD video editing workstation

Last response: in Systems
Share
March 22, 2010 6:42:57 PM

I've been building gaming computers for a few years now and recently started editing HD video and I need some help.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: within the next 6 months BUDGET RANGE: $1200 (including monitor) after rebates

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Web surfing, video editing

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard and mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Newegg only

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference

OVERCLOCKING: No SLI OR CROSSFIRE: No

MONITOR RESOLUTION: Max resolution 1920x1080

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I would like it as quiet as possible.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MSI P55M-GD45 LGA 1156 Intel P55 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80605I5750 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ATI 100-505564 FirePro V3700 256MB PCI Express 2.0 x16 Workstation Video Card - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

(2) CORSAIR XMS3 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2/64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ICY DOCK MB882SP-1S-1B 2.5" to 3.5" SSD & SATA Hard Drive Converter - Black - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.2 Modular Active PFC Power Supply - Retail
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Total: $958.90 (minus monitor) *I haven't picked an monitor yet because I don't know what to look for when doing video editing...I've heard that I should get a IPS monitor but I don't even know where to begin to look.
March 22, 2010 7:15:37 PM

*Shake hand*. I built my current PC for HD video editing as well. :D  Some notes for you:

1. Get as much fast RAM as you can afford, preferably triple channel. If you can, push to i7 with 6GB DDR3.

2. The SSD is too expensive and quite unecessary at this stage. You can upgrade later but having an SSD boot drive won't improve much from a video editing standpoint because you are not likely to save your stuffs in a tiny 64GB drive, especially considering HD content eats HDD space like people eat hotdogs in NYC. Get 2 1TB 7200rpm SATA to replace your 1 64GB SSD. If you can push it, get 1 7200rpm for boot and 2 1TB 7200rpm for RAID-0.

3. For $89.99, I would personally go for a mainstream gaming card like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I haven't heard of any current workstation card at under $100 that helps with HD video editing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Unless you are a pro, any tune-able LCD monitor will do (which is like all LCD monitors :D ). You just need to tune it for color and brightness accuracy and that's about it. I am using my LCD HDTV as monitor. It's literally WYSIWYG because my vids will be shown on that TV anyway. :D 

March 22, 2010 7:32:18 PM

testdasi said:
*Shake hand*. I built my current PC for HD video editing as well. :D  Some notes for you:

1. Get as much fast RAM as you can afford, preferably triple channel. If you can, push to i7 with 6GB DDR3.
On the current setup above, it has 8GB of DDR3. I could probably go for the i7 but there wasn't really a big increase in performance of the i5-750 and i7-920 but maybe I am wrong.
testdasi said:
2. The SSD is too expensive and quite unecessary at this stage. You can upgrade later but having an SSD boot drive won't improve much from a video editing standpoint because you are not likely to save your stuffs in a tiny 64GB drive, especially considering HD content eats HDD space like people eat hotdogs in NYC. Get 2 1TB 7200rpm SATA to replace your 1 64GB SSD. If you can push it, get 1 7200rpm for boot and 2 1TB 7200rpm for RAID-0.
The reason I looked into the SSD is because all of the data I'll be using would be transferred to my NAS box. I can looking into those two/three drives and see what I can do.
testdasi said:
3. For $89.99, I would personally go for a mainstream gaming card like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I haven't heard of any current workstation card at under $100 that helps with HD video editing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I would also love to know this too. :) 
testdasi said:
4. Unless you are a pro, any tune-able LCD monitor will do (which is like all LCD monitors :D ). You just need to tune it for color and brightness accuracy and that's about it. I am using my LCD HDTV as monitor. It's literally WYSIWYG because my vids will be shown on that TV anyway. :D 
I didn't want to have a big TV sitting on my desk or even sitting on the couch while editing video. I was looking at either a dual or triple monitor setup actually.
Related resources
March 22, 2010 8:05:50 PM

testdasi said:
*Shake hand*. I built my current PC for HD video editing as well. :D  Some notes for you:

1. Get as much fast RAM as you can afford, preferably triple channel. If you can, push to i7 with 6GB DDR3.

2. The SSD is too expensive and quite unecessary at this stage. You can upgrade later but having an SSD boot drive won't improve much from a video editing standpoint because you are not likely to save your stuffs in a tiny 64GB drive, especially considering HD content eats HDD space like people eat hotdogs in NYC. Get 2 1TB 7200rpm SATA to replace your 1 64GB SSD. If you can push it, get 1 7200rpm for boot and 2 1TB 7200rpm for RAID-0.

3. For $89.99, I would personally go for a mainstream gaming card like:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I haven't heard of any current workstation card at under $100 that helps with HD video editing. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

4. Unless you are a pro, any tune-able LCD monitor will do (which is like all LCD monitors :D ). You just need to tune it for color and brightness accuracy and that's about it. I am using my LCD HDTV as monitor. It's literally WYSIWYG because my vids will be shown on that TV anyway. :D 


1) Correct, depending on your volume (of output) and the Bitrate of your acquisition and output formats. (Socket 1366 likely overkill).

2) WRONG !! Couldn't be more wrong ... Install a 64GB Kingston (a.k.a. INTEL) SSD as your boot drive NOW!! ... It WILL speed ALL operations and YOU WILL NOT WANT TO REINSTALL YOUR ENTIRE ENVIRONMENT (Performance tweaks, updates, drivers, templates, etc.) LATER ... MUCH EASIER TO DO THAT NOW !! For $150 ... 12 second boot .. all OS/Browser ops accelerated significantly ... fast app loads and overlay swapping. .. DO NOW ..

3) WRONG !! NOT ATi (NOT RADEON) ... nVidia GTX250 thru GTX275 most closely mimmic the PNY QuadroFX and, ADOBE and AVID and a HOST of other partner plug-ins (3D particle effects, transitions, motion titles) are all tweaked towards direct addressing of nVidia hardware features.

4) W R O N G ! ! You want 120Hz 1080P (2ms refresh) HDTV(s) &/or 1920x1200 2ms refresh LCD monitors (HDCP ready).

This is prolly gonna be a "squabble" ... and I have lots to do but, I'll just say this ...

THE i5-750 is TOTALLY unsuited to transcoding and rendering ... If you insist on socket 1156, your CPU would be an i7-860 !!

For your needs and budget (with authority) ... editing is what I do (1979) ... BS in Radio/TV/Film from UT .. Versed in AVID/Pinnacle Liquid/Vegas etc.

** CPU: AMD Socket AM3 Phenom-II x4 955 Black Edition (get MBOX/C3 stepping)

** RAM 2x2GB or 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 CAS7 Dual channel kit

** mobo: 890GX (latest w/USB3/SATA-III/8x8SLI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

** Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212

** Paste: Arctic Silver MX-2 (no cure time ... sure release)

** GPU: SAPPIRE OR PNY nVidia GTX250/260/275) 1GB GDDR3

** BOOT/Apps: Kingston (a.k.a. INTEL) 64GB SSD ($150)

** Content: Samsung Spinpoint F3 (500GB $54 or 1TB $89) or SEAGATE 1TB 1200.1 <<< All use 500GB platter technology).

** PSU Corsair 650W (80 PLUS) SLI ready (SINGLE RAIL DESIGN !! )

** You have a case, but we have 3 or 4 super-favorites, for $54~~$99 (with instant discounts)

I know exactly what I am talking about ... exactly. If you are outputting less than 30 minutes of programming per month or are editing at up to HDV/AVCHD H.264 at up to 1080/30P 25Mbits/sec CBR 2-Pass >>> BR or .wmf ... This *is* your setup.

If you invest in sockets 1156 or 1366 at this time, you are throwing your $,$$$.xx away !

PCIe3.0 (the next major bus standard) will be out in under 12 months (with native/INTEL SATA-III & USB3.0) ... Do you really want to spend $400 more on a socket 1366 i7-930 (with a puny quad core) right now ??? ... That would be foolish.

= Alvin =

(Editing a bunch @ 50Mbits/sec+ for a living ?? ... different story)
March 23, 2010 11:12:00 AM

Alvin,

Thank you for the reply and that was exactly what I was looking for. Someone in the business or that was in the business.

A couple things though...

1. I can't seem to find any GTX250/260/275 1GB video cards. I can find the GTX285 in the 1GB form but that is it.
2. What are the 3-4 super favorite cases you mentioned???
3. This machine would be used for editing racing videos and other HD content as a hobby. Most videos would be over an hour long if not more...does this change anything?

Thanks again!

~Geran
March 23, 2010 7:56:49 PM


(1) Where are you ?? ... Lunar Outpost 09 ??

(2) I'll get some links for you ...

(3) YES ... IT DOES ... VERY MUCH !! We need to have a bit of a chat ... Lots of variables to address but, ...

... In your shoes, regardless of audience or output format (assuming HD) ... YOU are in a position of having to just build the best rendering system (render engine) that you can afford ... period. Even a Xeon X2 with 12GB of ram would not be entirely out of the question, if any kind of money is "involved" (to earn or to spend).

We should talk about you either having a big-brother who does Demolition-Derby at the local track, and blogging to Grand-dad about it ... or ... You work for a Top Formula One race team and are shooting wireless multicam at tracks all over the planet.

... or ... maybe somewhere in between ... or maybe you are racing turtles or hampsters and shooting them with Hi-8 video ... Just let me know how often you are doing these long segments and how you will ditribute it ... the format/bit-rate and if there is any intent to broadcast or for public viewing (venue).

Start Talkin '

= Alvin =
March 23, 2010 8:45:10 PM

Alvin Smith said:
(1) Where are you ?? ... Lunar Outpost 09 ??
I am in VA. :hello:  Maybe my searching skills are a little rusty. :p 
Alvin Smith said:
(2) I'll get some links for you ...
Thanks. :) 
Alvin Smith said:
(3) YES ... IT DOES ... VERY MUCH !! We need to have a bit of a chat ... Lots of variables to address but, ...

... In your shoes, regardless of audience or output format (assuming HD) ... YOU are in a position of having to just build the best rendering system (render engine) that you can afford ... period. Even a Xeon X2 with 12GB of ram would not be entirely out of the question, if any kind of money is "involved" (to earn or to spend).

We should talk about you either having a big-brother who does Demolition-Derby at the local track, and blogging to Grand-dad about it ... or ... You work for a Top Formula One race team and are shooting wireless multi-cam at tracks all over the planet.

... or ... maybe somewhere in between ... or maybe you are racing turtles or hamsters and shooting them with Hi-8 video ... Just let me know how often you are doing these long segments and how you will distribute it ... the format/bit-rate and if there is any intent to broadcast or for public viewing (venue).

Start Talkin '

= Alvin =
I'll be doing this maybe 2 weekends (at the most 3 weekends) a month during the summer. These will be mainly my own videos except for certain things that I rather not discuss on here (not porn...lol). I would like to it be out outputted in 1280x720 x264 if possible. I thought about a dual Xeon setup but currently I am just doing this a hobby and don't want to spend a ton that is why I limited my budget to around $1200 +/- $300 with the monitor included.

~Geran

Best solution

March 23, 2010 10:40:30 PM
Share


OK ... So ... You are not sitting in a Fox-Sports Broadcast Trailer, in Daytona ... cool.

Phenom-II x4 965 @3.4GHz ...
G.Skill RipJaws DDR3(1600)CAS7 2x2GB Dual Channel Kit (or two) @ $114 ea.
Hyper 212 Cooler
MX-2 Paste
Sapphire or PNY .. nVidia GTX250 1GB GDDR3 (not vaporX)
Kingston 64GB SSD ($150)
Spinpoint F3 or Seagate 1200.1 ... 1TB@7200RPM HDD (~<$100)
Samsung 22X SATA DVDR ($26)
Card Reader ($20)
Win7 Pro64 OEM
HAF - 922 or Antec 300 Illusion Case
28" LCD Mon from Tiger Direct (~$330)

There ya go. .. Prolly, w/extra RAM and Mon and Shipping ... under $1500


= Alvin =
March 23, 2010 10:43:34 PM

If you would like any advice concerning your private project(s) ... You can click the envelope next to my Astronaut Avitar and send a private msg. Long as it does not involve goats or minor children, I'm game (I think) ... even if it goes against my personal politics ... I'd prolly help.

= Alvin =
March 24, 2010 3:54:29 PM

Updated build based on Alvin's advice:

Motherboard
GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H AM3 AMD 890GX SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

CPU
AMD Phenom II X4 965 Black Edition Deneb 3.4GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor Model HDZ965FBGMBOX - Retail

Video Card
PNY VCGGTS2501XPB GeForce GTS 250 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Retail

RAM
(2) G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRM - Retail

BOOT HDD
Kingston SSDNow V Series SNV425-S2BD/64GB 2.5" 64GB SATA II Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) - Retail
ICY DOCK MB882SP-1S-1B 2.5" to 3.5" SSD & SATA Hard Drive Converter - Black - Retail

CONTENT HDD
SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Optical Drive
LG DVD Burner Black SATA Model GH22NS50 - OEM

Case
COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel , SECC Chassis ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit 1-Pack for System Builders - OEM

Monitor
ASUS VW246H Glossy Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor - Retail

Power Supply
Antec EarthWatts EA650 650W Continuous Power ATX12V Ver.2.2 / EPS12V version 2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified ... - Retail

Cooling
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus Intel Core i5 & Intel Core i7 compatible RR-B10-212P-G1 120mm "heatpipe direct contact" Long ... - Retail
ARCTIC COOLING MX-2 Thermal Compound - Retail

Subtotal: $1,525.84

Alvin,

Is two monitors worth it for video editing?
March 24, 2010 5:29:54 PM

snowgoer1998 said:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Multi-monitor-display-effic...

Yes, two monitors are worth it, if it's in the budget...

Once you try it, you'll never go back
If it is worth it then I'll make run in my budget. After reading that article it definitely seems worth it. I currently use two monitors at work but that is it.

Thanks for the link! :D 
March 25, 2010 7:52:42 AM

thereason said:
Updated build based on Alvin's advice:


Subtotal: $1,525.84

Alvin,

Is two monitors worth it for video editing?


DUDE !!! That is exactly what I'm buying ... I'm going with a SAMSUNG SATA DVDR and I'm doubling the RAM kit, but, YESSsss !!!

FYI ... you can shave $60 by stepping down the proc to a 955 (-$40) and taking advantage of the mobo combo(-$20) (by doing both).
That will pay for the cooler that will allow you to OC almost as fast as 965 ... I am betting the extra 4GB ram will help more and, there will be the option to up to 6 or 8 cores, in coming years. I just want to get into the "snappy quad" game, at thi$ point.

TWO monitors ??

I'm gonna make my 52" 120Hz LCD HDTV work ... I also have a 22" 1080P HDTV as real-estate for media (clip) bins reference.

BUT LOOK WHAT I HAVE GOT FOR YOU !! . . . TWO OF THESE >>>

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

You will need to purchase at least one (maybe two) DVI(M) >> HDMI(F) adapters to go from your PNY 250 to these.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...



March 25, 2010 7:59:12 AM

So called "PROS" may scoff at this product but ... It will do 4 layers of video and sees all 4 cores ... the online help morphs into interactive tutorials and leads you "by the hand" through any process ... it is also context sensitive.

Definately the most "usable" product with "excellent results" ... great bang-4-buck!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

March 25, 2010 11:35:57 AM

Alvin Smith said:
1) Correct, depending on your volume (of output) and the Bitrate of your acquisition and output formats. (Socket 1366 likely overkill).

2) WRONG !! Couldn't be more wrong ... Install a 64GB Kingston (a.k.a. INTEL) SSD as your boot drive NOW!! ... It WILL speed ALL operations and YOU WILL NOT WANT TO REINSTALL YOUR ENTIRE ENVIRONMENT (Performance tweaks, updates, drivers, templates, etc.) LATER ... MUCH EASIER TO DO THAT NOW !! For $150 ... 12 second boot .. all OS/Browser ops accelerated significantly ... fast app loads and overlay swapping. .. DO NOW ..

3) WRONG !! NOT ATi (NOT RADEON) ... nVidia GTX250 thru GTX275 most closely mimmic the PNY QuadroFX and, ADOBE and AVID and a HOST of other partner plug-ins (3D particle effects, transitions, motion titles) are all tweaked towards direct addressing of nVidia hardware features.

4) W R O N G ! ! You want 120Hz 1080P (2ms refresh) HDTV(s) &/or 1920x1200 2ms refresh LCD monitors (HDCP ready).

This is prolly gonna be a "squabble" ... and I have lots to do but, I'll just say this ...

THE i5-750 is TOTALLY unsuited to transcoding and rendering ... If you insist on socket 1156, your CPU would be an i7-860 !!

For your needs and budget (with authority) ... editing is what I do (1979) ... BS in Radio/TV/Film from UT .. Versed in AVID/Pinnacle Liquid/Vegas etc.

** CPU: AMD Socket AM3 Phenom-II x4 955 Black Edition (get MBOX/C3 stepping)

** RAM 2x2GB or 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws DDR3-1600 CAS7 Dual channel kit

** mobo: 890GX (latest w/USB3/SATA-III/8x8SLI)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

** Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212

** Paste: Arctic Silver MX-2 (no cure time ... sure release)

** GPU: SAPPIRE OR PNY nVidia GTX250/260/275) 1GB GDDR3

** BOOT/Apps: Kingston (a.k.a. INTEL) 64GB SSD ($150)

** Content: Samsung Spinpoint F3 (500GB $54 or 1TB $89) or SEAGATE 1TB 1200.1 <<< All use 500GB platter technology).

** PSU Corsair 650W (80 PLUS) SLI ready (SINGLE RAIL DESIGN !! )

** You have a case, but we have 3 or 4 super-favorites, for $54~~$99 (with instant discounts)

I know exactly what I am talking about ... exactly. If you are outputting less than 30 minutes of programming per month or are editing at up to HDV/AVCHD H.264 at up to 1080/30P 25Mbits/sec CBR 2-Pass >>> BR or .wmf ... This *is* your setup.

If you invest in sockets 1156 or 1366 at this time, you are throwing your $,$$$.xx away !

PCIe3.0 (the next major bus standard) will be out in under 12 months (with native/INTEL SATA-III & USB3.0) ... Do you really want to spend $400 more on a socket 1366 i7-930 (with a puny quad core) right now ??? ... That would be foolish.

= Alvin =

(Editing a bunch @ 50Mbits/sec+ for a living ?? ... different story)


Relax, mate! Don't have to be that aggressive! :non: 

You may be an expert so I am not going to argue over whether you know what you are saying or not. I'm just trying to present my point here.

2) I was saying SSD isn't worth the performance boost. My current system boots in about 30 seconds and edit 24mbps at very bearable speed (or rather fast). With the $150 I can save now, get some good return and possible get a 300GB next year.
And moving whole-sale is not even a problem. Probably takes 2-3 hours at most.

3) I said I did not know of a card UNDER $100! I have never said there is no card that does not help. I have never said ATI helps. So what is wrong here?

Btw, if you know of one, please let me know. I am looking into getting one as well.

4) They are very expensive! I'm looking at a budget here, you know.

So chill!
March 25, 2010 7:49:24 PM

DUDE !!! Just laugh at my barking ... Arf!!! Bow-wow-wow-wow !

I am quite well "chillatinated" ... (Pssst ... I'm in Austin, Texas ... Shhh)

I strongly disagree about the SSD ... I have litterally written volumes on the advantages and I can only say (1) that you will feel it (2) Storage is the prime drag on any system and is 2 orders of magnitude slower than RAM and why not cut that gap in half while speeding all operating system swap-ops and browser temp files while enjoying 10 times the reliability and ... THE BIG #(3) . . . You will want to install the boot SSD NOW because you will be spending over 100 hours tweaking your windows environment and installing apps and running cummulative windows updates and device driver updates, etc., and you might even lose track of that original Win7-OEM Distribution disk ... You will not want to throw all that work and "environmental evolution" down the drain, LATER ... SO DO THIS NOW !

= I HATE YOU for making me type all that crap ... please think on this ! ... Ahhhrg !!

March 31, 2010 11:59:44 PM

Best answer selected by TheReason.
!