Sign in with
Your question

Nvidia 196.75 can burn vidio card up

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
March 7, 2010 7:07:30 PM

If you have downloaded 196.75 drivers and keep your fan speed at 40 with auto you run the chance of destroying your vidio cards.
Download evga precision (or what can work) and adjust fan speed manually but be sure to apply to windows startup button. A good number is 55 to 65 fan speed, depending on your noise level. If your vidio card temperature reaches 105 celius you could drstroy it. No reply is necessary. :) 
a c 172 Î Nvidia
March 7, 2010 7:12:13 PM

slimjim555 said:
No reply is necessary. :) 

Other than to let you know that this is now the seventh thread on this matter or eighth if you include the one in the comments section.
m
l
March 7, 2010 8:19:21 PM

+1, although it might be a bad idea for me to put this back up at the top of the list. Ah well felt like talking.
m
l
Related resources
March 7, 2010 10:38:54 PM

And who was that moderator that keeps closing those threads? His name is escaping me, but i think it was the name of two animals put together, like rhinofish or mantarayoctupus or something.

EDIT: /Sarcasm
m
l
March 7, 2010 10:40:58 PM

Look up, unless your being sarcastic. Sometimes closing threads are necessary.
m
l
March 8, 2010 8:04:41 AM

mister g said:
Look up, unless your being sarcastic. Sometimes closing threads are necessary.

Hahaha LMFFAO, just had to comment... you need to "LOOK UP"... obviously you didnt see the names in the thread :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

*edit*

This is the first i am seeing it. Is it game specific? or it just causes the card to overheat cause of what it increaseS?
m
l
March 8, 2010 8:49:22 AM

BroHamBone said:
Hahaha LMFFAO, just had to comment... you need to "LOOK UP"... obviously you didnt see the names in the thread :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol: 

*edit*

This is the first i am seeing it. Is it game specific? or it just causes the card to overheat cause of what it increaseS?

Not just games, even Internet Explorer will cause overheat. problem i have is must made sure evga precision turns fans on at higher speed or they goto auto 40%.
You have to say "yes" on each startup with evga precision, mine are set to 68% i use sli and heavy in game candy. Also i use BFG cards but evga precision works fine.
Nvidia control panel is not very good. you would think on auto as heat goes up fan speed goes up but just not good enough to stop damage.
m
l
March 8, 2010 9:06:33 AM

Put an external 8cm fan on the GPU's exhaust that is turned on with the PC and you can forget about all software related overheating issues.
m
l
March 8, 2010 6:25:46 PM

I have a 9400 GT, isn't causing problems, But then again this wouldn't produce too much heat anyway.
m
l
March 8, 2010 7:04:38 PM

Yeah I have dual 8800 GTS 512mbs, and the problem is afflicting them. Luckily, they don't need the fan speed to go past idle to stay cool, but its there. I also have successfully installed them on my friends 9600 GT and the fan controller works perfectly fine through nTune and rivatuner, so I don't know.
m
l
March 8, 2010 9:48:52 PM

slimjim555 said:
If you have downloaded 196.75 drivers and keep your fan speed at 40 with auto you run the chance of destroying your vidio cards.
Download evga precision (or what can work) and adjust fan speed manually but be sure to apply to windows startup button. A good number is 55 to 65 fan speed, depending on your noise level. If your vidio card temperature reaches 105 celius you could drstroy it. No reply is necessary. :) 

how do you ajust your fan speed..?
m
l
March 8, 2010 10:01:52 PM

morgan7881 said:
how do you ajust your fan speed..?

Download and install evga precision or one of the others (its also in nivida control panel), and inside the software you can make the adjustments, then do some testing for what works best, like some say it's not a problem but it sure is on the high end nivida gpu's (best to keep temp below 76 celius if you can)
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
March 8, 2010 10:12:35 PM

slimjim555 said:
Download and install evga precision or one of the others (its also in nivida control panel), and inside the software you can make the adjustments, then do some testing for what works best, like some say it's not a problem but it sure is on the high end nivida gpu's (best to keep temp below 76 celius if you can)

It's not in my Nvidia control panel but then I don't have nTune installed but Rivatuner is one the oldest and IMHO the best for all your tweaking needs.
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:25:13 AM

slimjim555 said:

thank you for that information..i found out the problem ,why i had choppy graphics..the little fan on the bottom of my nvidia
graphics card was not working..got it working and graphics work fine still going to down load evga thank you again
m
l
March 9, 2010 12:49:37 AM

Wow, it was pretty basic to clean dust which I assume was the problem. No offense but that was a long discussion, one more thing though if the card was heated to the extent it distorted graphics the hardware might be damaged. I suggest you have a backup plan should it fail.
m
l
March 9, 2010 7:17:15 PM

Mousemonkey said:
It's not in my Nvidia control panel but then I don't have nTune installed but Rivatuner is one the oldest and IMHO the best for all your tweaking needs.

Control panel ver. 2.8.312.11
Under Performance, select device setting, its at the bottom
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
March 9, 2010 7:21:45 PM

slimjim555 said:
Control panel ver. 2.8.312.11
Under Performance, select device setting, its at the bottom

That's the version I'm using but I don't have that option. :??: 
m
l
March 9, 2010 7:38:34 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That's the version I'm using but I don't have that option. :??: 

That section lets you adjust freqs, voltages and fans, plus you can make macro's and save to profile. I use that version for SLI and game profiles. However, i like EVGA Precsion better. I use BFG GTX 275 OC SLI, plus i got 5% more OC above factory OC. It appears that the upper Nivida GPU's run hot even under normal conditions. BFG said with the new X10 and X11 games keep my cards under 105 celuis.
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
March 9, 2010 7:49:28 PM

slimjim555 said:
That section lets you adjust freqs, voltages and fans, plus you can make macro's and save to profile. I use that version for SLI and game profiles. However, i like EVGA Precsion better. I use BFG GTX 275 OC SLI, plus i got 5% more OC above factory OC. It appears that the upper Nivida GPU's run hot even under normal conditions. BFG said with the new X10 and X11 games keep my cards under 105 celuis.

That sounds like the nTune control panel addition, it's not a part of the basic driver you normally have download and install it separately. Personally I don't like nTune as I've always had issues with it ranging from BSOD's to random lock ups and other general oddities.
m
l
March 9, 2010 8:27:13 PM

Mousemonkey said:
That sounds like the nTune control panel addition, it's not a part of the basic driver you normally have download and install it separately. Personally I don't like nTune as I've always had issues with it ranging from BSOD's to random lock ups and other general oddities.

A download nTune ver 5.05.54.00 is available but i dont use it. Ntune is a old term according to nivida. With the version i use i can not adjust or monitor any BIOS functions. I have not had any issues with this version (knock on wood). I do use it in advanced mode for my gaming profiles from nivida, sli activation and using dual monitors. So far so good.
m
l
a c 172 Î Nvidia
March 9, 2010 8:36:38 PM

slimjim555 said:
A download nTune ver 5.05.54.00 is available but i dont use it. Ntune is a old term according to nivida. With the version i use i can not adjust or monitor any BIOS functions. I have not had any issues with this version (knock on wood). I do use it in advanced mode for my gaming profiles from nivida, sli activation and using dual monitors. So far so good.

I keep calling it nTune but you're so right, I should try and remember to call Nvidia System Tools. :) 
m
l
!