Sign in with
Your question

NEW Intel 330 Series 120GB

Last response: in Storage
April 21, 2012 2:55:50 PM

Hi,

I just finished installing the new intel 330 SSD and have a couple of questions :

The disk has 111GB usable space ( i knew that happened o HDDs but i am not sure why this happened to an SSD also) and wanted an opinion about my CrystalMark results. The disk is installed in a P55 board with SATA 2 and i have done all the tweaks suggested (disable indexing, hibernation, superfetch etc.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

More about : intel 330 series 120gb

a b G Storage
April 21, 2012 9:29:47 PM

I don't know why people still do SSD "tweaks." They are a hold-over from when SSDs really sucked at random file I/O (before the original Vertex). There's no reason to disable indexing or SuperFetch on an SSD. Even on an SSD, searching an indexed volume is faster (an algorithmic advantage), plus Windows won't do a full-text file search without indexing on. SuperFetch will only help performance. Even though your fancy SSD can read at 500 MB/s (example), RAM is going to be faster. The background I/O from SuperFetch isn't going to interfere with anything else and it only uses RAM that isn't used by any other process on the system. Hibernation is a double-edged sword. If you want or need that feature, there's no reason why an SSD can't take an extra 8GB (or however much RAM you have) of data written to it. If you don't want it (even on a HDD system), turn it off and free the extra space. I have 4 SSDs currently in operation in my various computers and none of them are tweaked in any way (2 M4 drives, 2 SF-1222 drives) besides running in AHCI mode.
Related resources
April 22, 2012 5:15:23 AM

aicom said:
I don't know why people still do SSD "tweaks."

I stopped reading right there.

Anyone else to contribute about the initial available space of the SSD?
a b G Storage
April 22, 2012 5:39:11 AM

darkling said:
I stopped reading right there.

Anyone else to contribute about the initial available space of the SSD?

Then you must have missed the last part where I said disabling hibernation is fine if you need the extra space.
April 22, 2012 7:05:25 AM

See, i recently bought a 120GB 320 series SSD, it was showing the same usable space.

Reason for both storage drives (HDDs and SSDs) is decimal to binary conversion, plus in SSDs some manufacturers like Intel provide some extra space for garbage collection, etc.

120GB=120x10^9 B according to the storage industry, since they use the decimal system.
Otherwise in binary, 120GB = 120x2^30 B, since 1GB=2^30B.

Now, 120x10^9/2^30 = 111.75 GB

Your Reads look fine, i guess you're asking about the writes? Because they're both about the same as my 320 series (using AS SSD)...iirc 330 series should write higher (given a SATA 2 interface reads should be around the same as what you're seeing).

Anyway, use the intel SSD toolbox, it recommending disabling superfetch for my drive (and you just click a button and it does it).
a b G Storage
April 22, 2012 7:29:13 AM

SuperFetch doesn't provide much benefit for pure SSD-only systems. But where disabling SuperFetch can really reduce performance is if you disable it on an SSD+HDD system. The SSD may not need it, but the HDD could really benefit from it. Applications and files loaded from the HDD can be cached in unused RAM with SuperFetch to speed up access times.
!