Sign in with
Your question
Solved

AMD Overdrive Test, computer completely dead. What happened?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 31, 2013 2:54:52 PM

So, my computers general specs are: Black thuban 1100+ phenom II, 6870 HD raedon, 700W psu.

Basically I upgraded to windows 8 and then i saw that catalyst had integrated overdrive so I checked it out. I had my CPU overclocked for 2 years at 3.9 GHz instead of the 3.5 stock it comes with or whatever, not a big deal, stock cooling and it never overheated previously.

I saw it had no options to fill in anything and just a test button. so i clicked it. it found my specs, tested halfway, then pc crashed.

It's completely dead now. Press power button, mess with cords or buttons nothing.

So i'm just trying to find out what happened. did my psu die? did my cpu die? mobo? What's the likely culprit on an amd overdrive test = dead pc scenario?

thanks
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 2:59:21 PM

Power supply.
m
l
January 31, 2013 3:03:49 PM

psu huh. that's what i figured. damn. Well, here's my dilemma. I got the $$$ for a nice pc but the sale ends in 3 days, not enough time for me to buy a psu on newegg and wait for it to come in and see for sure. Would you recommend upgrading now or upgrading in a year's time once the new gen consoles come out to drive competition?

again thanks for the support I figured it was the psu. So random though lol
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 4:22:07 PM

It may be the PSU, it may not. Take everything out and reseat it. If you have the time, breadboard it outside of the case. If you get the same results, borrow a PSU or go to a brick and mortar store and get a PSU and try it out. Can always take it back. The 1100T is still a very viable CPU for gaming and other applications. Just swapped out my 1090T for a 3570k a few days ago.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 5:35:02 PM

unhook the motherboard connector and use a paperclip to jump from green to any black wire. If it doesn't turn on, its deed.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 8:52:22 PM

vrumor said:
It may be the PSU, it may not. Take everything out and reseat it. If you have the time, breadboard it outside of the case. If you get the same results, borrow a PSU or go to a brick and mortar store and get a PSU and try it out. Can always take it back. The 1100T is still a very viable CPU for gaming and other applications. Just swapped out my 1090T for a 3570k a few days ago.

sorry to hijack the thread but I have a 1090t and I'm thinking of going for a 3570k, are you impressed with the performance/cost vrumor
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 10:20:08 PM

Yes very impressed with the performance increase.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 10:25:31 PM

Cool thats good to know I more than likely will be ordering it next week with the asrock z77 extreme 6 mobo
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 11:20:35 PM

vrumor said:
Yes very impressed with the performance increase.

Sorry for the thread-jack, but...

I upgraded from a Phenom IIX6 @3.4Ghz to a 2600k @4.0Ghz (Just recently bumped to 4.2Ghz) and the improvement's I saw were not that noticeable for the few games I play and the video rendering I do.

What type of applications did you see the most change in?
m
l
February 1, 2013 2:42:43 AM

Im not very tech savvy about testing with a paperclip and whatnot but i appreciate the tips. ordered a 850w psu on newegg and ill return once i try it out.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 1:13:03 AM

corsair's own website, so its a safe test.

http://www.corsair.com/en/blog/testing-your-corsair-pow...
!