Sign in with
Your question

I5 build finished with Pics

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2010 9:24:42 PM

First build finished (woot woot) up and running! Just wanted to say thanks to everyone's input and advice helping me assemble my first build.

Specs
i5 750
G.SKILL 4gb CL7
HD 5770
GA P55a UD3
CM 212+
Antec 300
OCZ 700w
Sony 24X dvd drive
Microsoft 6000 wireless keyboard and mouse

Windows 7 64 Ultimate

Wiring Nightmare

Finalized

Still looks sloppy but when I get more time I will do some serious cable management! Thanks Again to everyone here at Tom's

More about : build finished pics

March 22, 2010 9:39:34 PM

I say who cares what your wires look like on the backside of the motherboard... Out-of-site, out-of-mind are my thoughts... Looks Good!
m
l
March 22, 2010 10:30:55 PM

I agree, if you cant see them then there is nothing to be worried about.
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2010 7:00:27 PM

tecmo34 said:
I say who cares what your wires look like on the backside of the motherboard... Out-of-site, out-of-mind are my thoughts... Looks Good!

I thought that if the wires are everywhere then it affects airflow? I just built a computer and its a clear sided case but you can't see any of the wires except the main mobo cable. if there arn't many wires everywhere then air flows there the case very well.
m
l
March 23, 2010 8:08:08 PM

Look at the pictures carefully. His wires are beside the drive bays or laying in the bottom of the case (the strength of a bottom CPU case design) and thus not in the airflow paths.

Nice build.
m
l
March 23, 2010 8:15:56 PM

Congrats.

With that Antec case you can stuff a lot of wires behind those drive bays and not see them. The only complaint I've had with those cases is that I always add 2 fans in the front and there is no good way to run those wires through the case. IOW the square opening in the case that the fan goes through seems to not have enough room for the wires and body of the fan at the same time. It barely works, otherwise I've thought about notching the cases a bit.

Those fans have a lot of room. I figure with the 2 stock fans pulling air out the top and back, and 2 fans that I add pulling air into the case at the bottom front, there will be plenty of airflow over everything inside.
m
l
March 23, 2010 8:44:02 PM

The Antec 300 Illusion model comes with two front dual speed fans already installed (with filters).
m
l
March 23, 2010 9:02:32 PM

aus10 said:
I thought that if the wires are everywhere then it affects airflow? I just built a computer and its a clear sided case but you can't see any of the wires except the main mobo cable. if there arn't many wires everywhere then air flows there the case very well.

dndhatcher touched bases on it. The cables are behind the drive bay and don't affect the airflow. Your main concern is getting the cables neat so they are not blocking the airflow and it doesn't matter what they look like behind the drive bays or motherboard tray. Now, many people work to make them neat, as well... I'm just not one of them to a degree.

Back side... Not Important

m
l
March 23, 2010 9:06:33 PM

Oh ok i see now.
m
l
March 24, 2010 6:39:31 PM

Ya as I said when i have more time I will do some cable management but right now this is what I got going. But case seems very cool

Whats the average temps for and i5 750? do these look normal or high?
m
l
March 24, 2010 6:58:28 PM

Those temps are at idle. You need to load your CPU with PRIME and see what the temps stabilize at.
m
l
March 24, 2010 7:37:34 PM

Like dnd said, need load temps.
Also, kinda need to tell us what ambient is.
m
l
March 24, 2010 8:03:49 PM

Those idle numbers for comparison to load should be good enough.
m
l
March 25, 2010 6:45:46 AM

This is an hour after testing on prime, what am I looking for as far as temps go?

m
l
March 25, 2010 4:34:46 PM

Anything under 60 is good. Under 50 is great for loaded.
m
l
March 25, 2010 5:09:35 PM

Awesome, this is sort of off topic but is there a real main difference bewteen class 7 & Class 9 in memory for gaming. I spurlged on the extra $ for the class 7 but it seems my system is unstable when i switch from class 9 (default) to class 7 through the bios. Is it worth the lower latency to do that, if so, whats the best way to manually switch the frequency without hurting my system?
m
l
March 25, 2010 5:19:16 PM

When you overclock, you should be able to use the tighter timings (maybe after a voltage increase) and maybe can get a few percent better performance.
m
l
March 25, 2010 5:38:04 PM

...And if I dont overclock im assuming its not even worth it?
m
l
March 25, 2010 5:43:35 PM

You should be able to tweak the timings & voltage without technically overclocking in order to get it to run at the rated speed/timing.
m
l
March 25, 2010 5:45:15 PM

You just bought an i5 750. I thought mild overclocking was mandatory. ;) 

Check out the Toms CPU articles. They did a test of various overclocks and found around 3.2GHz leaving turbo on gave a nice speed boost without any CPU voltage increase and thus not much power usage increase.

Your RAM should run at the rated timings at a rated voltage. You may have to set ALL the RAM timings in bios to get it to work and may have to set the voltage to the max rated on the RAM to get it stable at those timings.
m
l
March 25, 2010 6:05:12 PM

Quote:
You just bought an i5 750. I thought mild overclocking was mandatory.

Haha ya Im still getting use to my system, I havent even gamed on it yet, (but I did buy battlefield 2) Everytime I turn on XMP to Profile 1 in the bios it wont even reboot. It prompts me that windows has voltage issues and to reset Load deafault settings. Once I switch the timings I would have to switch the voltages too? even in my manual it doesnt even tell how to do this at safe operating speed. Well I guess I can start gaming at regular settings then switch to tighter timings to see if there is that much of a performance increase. Thanks for all you advice and input
m
l
March 25, 2010 8:20:52 PM

You can try switching just the timings, but often RAM needs a notch or two up on voltage for best performance.
m
l
March 28, 2010 3:16:29 AM

Wait a minute...you have XMP ability on your board? I have a gigabyte P55A-UD3 board as well, but I don't have any XMP profiles.
m
l
March 29, 2010 1:28:42 AM

Quote:
Wait a minute...you have XMP ability on your board? I have a gigabyte P55A-UD3 board as well, but I don't have any XMP profiles.

You should if you have that mobo. Its under the MB Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) tab, it gives you the option for it, thats how you can set your memory's timings and voltage manually. Its just very confusing :??: 
m
l
!