Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Burned two motherboards, whats going on???

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Asus
  • Motherboards
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
January 31, 2013 4:55:09 PM

i build a new rig and seen to two burn two motherboards (asus p8z77-v deluxe ) and i dont know why yet!!!!

now the problem is i burned two mother boards that are asus p8z77-v deluxe with chip-set...
-
the first mobo i found a screw behind the board, so i thought thats the problem and went out and bought
another one due short circuit , then i install the chipset to the new mobo and work perfectly for a week with no problems.

before yesterday i was refixing some tubing on the motherboard and did a leak test yesterday after that my mobo
stop working like before...

could i be installing the chipset wrong or something, im not sure and i need a new mobo but before i do that
i was wondering what could be the problem???

mosfets blocks are copper could they be hitting the voltage and creating circuit problems???

More about : burned motherboards whats

a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 5:12:56 PM

looks cool but can we see it in the light, with lots of close ups on the hardware please?
m
l
January 31, 2013 5:24:56 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
looks cool but can we see it in the light, with lots of close ups on the hardware please?

(thats why their is two missing screws on cpu, i removed the chip too cut and removed the TIM)

any thing else, please ask!!!
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 6:09:15 PM

ok so from what i can see on the 3rd image down from the top is that your water block is not cooling the caps because it is not tuching them, and was the thermal meteral under that block replaced or was that the same stuff that was there, same goes for the lower MB block was new thermal meteral used under them? With the new boards i have not seen the need for the MB blocks and yes i have used them in the past, and will use them again if need be, but i think that it would be better off not using them on the next build of this system leave the MB air blocks on the MB and upgrade the case fans if needed, to get better air flow through the case.

if you would like to take a look at my build log for some ideas go right ahead.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/page-274855_29_450.ht...
m
l
January 31, 2013 6:25:24 PM

okay,for the upper two mosfets , their is chipset (heatkiller) then under is the thermal pad(from heatkiller and removed asus thermal pad and heatsink) and under the whole board is the metal piece from the original asus heatsink for support... as for the z77 chipset , (lower block clean the tim and applied my as5) mini block under artic silver 5 with two screws with plastic washers from heatkiller's delivery scope

-the mosfet set came only with thermal pads
- mini block (for z77 chipset) came with two screws and plastic washer and nuts and thermal pad (which i didnt use due ac5)

NOtE: "ashrafkreidieh" says water cooling is about cooling , cooling as in looking cool as well... for me its as well. WE LOVE IT!!!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 10:26:37 PM

i am in total agreance with you and if you want the MB blocks in the system than add them it was only a thought, well they do say that 3 is a charm you can try for another round but try to take us through it with you in order for us to help with any possible issues along the way this time if that is possible.
m
l
February 1, 2013 11:46:32 AM

toolmaker_03 said:
i am in total agreance with you and if you want the MB blocks in the system than add them it was only a thought, well they do say that 3 is a charm you can try for another round but try to take us through it with you in order for us to help with any possible issues along the way this time if that is possible.

okay, cool... new mobo arrives on Thursday... (btw CPU block doesnt have all four screws because no mobo and i wanted my chip outside and just remount two screws back)

i found this review on FROZENCPU.COM:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14588/ex-blc-1020/Hea...

Be very careful with installation. Consider not doing this.
03-19-2012
Reviewer: La Riva (1)
The blocks are OK, the construction is OK -- everything that you would expect from Heat Killer. I have their CPU & GPU blocks. Here is the problem with this set. ASUS''s native south bridge cooler is very wide with an "arm" that provides additional support for the cooler plate itself. With Heat Killer that arm does not exist, so a heavy copper block ends up resting on the chip itself (whether you use tape or paste) By itself it is manageable (just dont overtighten) however, once you plug in the tubes and connect the tubes to the rest of the system, there is sideways tension applied to the block. Because of a two screw setup the block can shift a little bit on the axis of the mounts. with tube tension applied it simply chips the corner of the chip it suppose to cool. A similar situation occurs with the voltage module cooler. It is heavy, and while it does not actually break chips underneath it, it does loose contact with them as soon as tube tension is present. My 2 ASUS boards are heading for RMA. This is not the first liquid cooling setup I''m configuring, so arguably I know what I''m doing. Heat Killer would have been much better off if they would have followed ASUS''s standard cooler design and spend a bit more copper to build proper support structure. Once again. Be very(!) careful with the installation

BUt what is causing the motherboard to short out??? he had the same probem as i did !!! what are we doing wrong??
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 3:22:16 PM

in all of the cases that i have used MB blocks on i have installed them with a thermal epoxy making them a one time use block for that board. I install the blocks with the tubing and fitting in place so that i have as little stress on the bolck as possible at the time on install give it a couple days to harden and finish the loop, i hope this helps.
February 16, 2013 6:23:13 PM

toolmaker_03 said:
in all of the cases that i have used MB blocks on i have installed them with a thermal epoxy making them a one time use block for that board. I install the blocks with the tubing and fitting in place so that i have as little stress on the bolck as possible at the time on install give it a couple days to harden and finish the loop, i hope this helps.

btw i finally finish my loop, third board did the trick;-)

i read your forums amazing...

BE VERY CareFull when installing twaterblocks on the mobo, take ur time.
m
l
February 16, 2013 6:23:23 PM

toolmaker_03 said:

btw i finally finish my loop, third board did the trick;-)

i read your forums amazing...

BE VERY CareFull when installing waterblocks on the mobo, take ur time.
m
l
February 16, 2013 6:24:59 PM

Best answer selected by ashrafkreidieh.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 16, 2013 8:11:01 PM

thanks for the BA man
m
l
!