Sign in with
Your question

No hard drives detected upon start-up

Last response: in Systems
March 22, 2010 9:42:00 PM

Hey there everybody! *waves*

I built my PC from scratch and from day one I've been getting this error. I must have skipped something fundamental and I figured it's quite likely that someone here knows what I've done wrong.

If I go into BIOS both my SATA HDDs are listed in the Main Menu and Boot Priority menu. When I log in to Windows both my drives are perfectly accessible. The trouble is that when I boot up my computer and all the diagnostics appear on-screen before getting to Windows the message "No hard disk drives detected!" flashes momentarily on-screen though it doesn't seem to be causing any problems. Still feels wrong though and I'd like to fix it.

I spoke to someone who deals with hardware more than I generally do and they said the problem was that I had not plugged my primary master into SATA port 0. My primary drive is currently plugged into port 1 but after searching my motherboard (ASUS P5Q-EM) and the user manual I'm pretty sure that the SATA ports for my motherboard actually start at port 1 - there does not seem to be a port 0.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks heaps,
sphynx.
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2010 9:50:53 PM

This is probably one of the asus motherboards with express gate.

My friend had this on his computer and he wanted me to look at it and figure out what it was. It seems to be looking for some kind of networked hard drive, like a ata over ethernet type thing. But that's all it seems to be for. You could try disabling expressgate in the BIOS but it may or may not go away (I didn't do this). I just told him to ignore it.
m
l
March 22, 2010 9:56:43 PM

Yes, this is an ASUS motherboard with ExpressGate. Initially I had ExpressGate enabled but it is currently disabled and there has been no change at all with that message.

I don't think that the message relates to network drives as a friend has the same motherboard though a model or two up and he was getting this message but once he plugged his primary master into port 0 the message stopped appearing. Problem is I don't seem to have a port 0.
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
March 22, 2010 10:00:10 PM

What gave me that impression is what the text was that flashed on the screen when I read it fast enough. He then just ignored it and I never looked into it further because his computer runs fine - it is in fact the most stable computer he has had.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2010 1:21:21 AM

I think that the error message is because the BIOS is looking for a RAID setup. Disable RAID in the BIOS.
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:26:45 AM

Sorry about the long absence, I've been formatting a drive and haven't had the opportunity to reboot. The exact message is

"Adapter 1
Disks information:
No hard disk drives detected!"

From that message alone I didn't get the impression that it was a network drive that it was looking for though I could be mistaken.
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:29:02 AM

pmjmelect, my SATA is currently configured as IDE, not RAID. I don't have a RAID configured. Is there a way to explicitly disable RAID?
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2010 6:31:10 AM

Yeah, set it as IDE or ACHI.

There was text that flashes by before the screen that you wrote the message from, and it was that stuff that leads up to it that I was referring to.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2010 6:48:13 AM

You will find it under storage configuration, configuration SATA as, this should be set to IDE not Raid.
Also try disabling the Marvel IDE controller if you have no IDE devices. Found in Advanced onboard devices configuration.

m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2010 6:48:30 AM

You will find it under storage configuration, configuration SATA as, this should be set to IDE not Raid.
Also try disabling the Marvel IDE controller if you have no IDE devices. Found in Advanced onboard devices configuration.

m
l
March 23, 2010 4:26:06 PM

What Windows are you installing? XP, Vista, or Win7?
m
l
March 30, 2010 5:23:00 AM

I currently have Windows 7 64-bit installed but the error was exactly the same with XP 64-bit.

Thanks for the advice pjmelect. I tried those changes in BIOS but unfortunately the error remains.
m
l
!