Why are AMD processors cheaper than INTEL Processors??

Status
Not open for further replies.

shreejan86

Distinguished
May 24, 2010
Why are AMD processor (quad core) are cheaper than intel (dual core). Are the AMD quads poor than the inte dual core processors?? or whats the reason ??

Computerrock1

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Amd believesin price per performance while intel is better, the amd quad core is more powerful than the core 2 duo and quad. That is ifyou. Uy the phenom ii architecture of the amd brand. Intel prices there cpus higher because they can, and they equakize competition (sort of). Hope this helped!

dinkle85

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2010
Well... What i learn and have knowledge.

Amd are cheaper then intel cause it build suitable for gaming only and little program.

Intel are expensive cause the processor can do a lot then Amd can do such are gaming, extreme programming and more.

Both are good and best depend all your budget and use.... :)

If you take into account you get more for your money with AMD motherboards they are generally better for your money unless you can afford the i5 750 at this price and above Intel tends to be better unless you are running applications that use the extra cores in the X6s

loneninja

Distinguished

Socket 775 chips are mostly a bad value now, either the Phenom II system or an I3 system would perform better for less money than the E8400.

AMD doesn't have as good of an architecture as Intel right now, they seem to give you more cores for less so that you get better multithreaded performance from them while loosing single threaded performace to Intel.

Intel has the performance crown. AMD has the price crown. It's all about trying to capture market share. Intel dominates the high end game, where as AMD focuses on the low to mid-range products because they can't keep up with Intel developmentally. Intel has more money, and can research and produce newer products faster so it seems. So AMD has been behind for a couple/few years now.

Between the E8400 and a Phenom II X4, I might slightly lean toward the AMD chip. Simply because we're finally at a point now where Quad Core CPUs are beginning to help (games these days finally are supporting them). The E8400 was a beast in it's day though.

On the Intel end though, the i5-750 CPU (Quad Core) is the best choice compared to the Phenom II X4 chips.

zxxxt

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Maybe because Intel is more popular so they can priced their products more.

BUT we should thank AMD because AMD processors are cheap, Intel tries not to increase their price too much otherwise more and more people will to AMD.

To be frank, it's because Intel currently has the faster CPU architecture, and thus has the faster processors. They possess the majority of the high-end mainstream to enthusiast sector, while AMD, with their slower CPU architecture (clock for clock), 'controls' the budget to middle mainstream sector. AMD's Phenom II X4 965 3.4GHz Black Edition processor used to cost $240. However, when Intel released their Core i5 750 2.66GHz processor which was faster than the Phenom II X4 965 BE, and had a price of $200. This dropped the price of the Phenom II X4 965 BE to $180, where it currently sits.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
Simple answer : Because Intel is more popular, and ordinary people has not heard of AMD. Just ask a normal person.

Complicated answer : Intel currently has the fastest stock processor, so to attract customers they need to adjust their prices.

randomkid

Distinguished

AMD does not advertise as much as Intel therefore whatever savings made on this are passed on to the consumer. So next time you buy an AMD CPU, do them the favor and pass the good word.

Kewlx25

Distinguished
Intel is running on much newer fab processes and have brand-new arch, so they're charging a premium for the Newest... plus the normal Intel brand tax.

AMD does make great products. If you want the absolute fastest stock CPUs, go Intel. If you want a cheap CPU that OCs well for 1/2 the price and runs all your games just fine, go AMD.

I like my i7 more than any AMD offerings, but AMD still makes a damn good product.

witcherx

Distinguished
May 20, 2009

yeah some of my friends at work are so much blinded by core 2 duo ***... :fou:

Simple answer is wrong. When Athlon X2 was the top end CPU, AMD charged a premium. Its mainly based on who has the clock per clock top end performance. If Phenom II matched or beat Nehalem, i would be priced like Athlon X2 was with a premium.

Thats how it always is. In terms of GPUs for example, ATI has always been the "underdog" and less known vs nVidia but when the 9700Pro came out and spanked the G4K series, ATI charged a premium.

Thats how i is in the PC world. The best performing hardware parts always charge a premium.

ern88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2009
I also have a E8400 cpu. With stock cooling. I have it O/C'd to 3.6 Ghz. I am going to buy a Cool Master V8 cooler. And O/C it to 4.0 Ghz easy. ANd I bet it will perform Better than AMD x4 Phenom 965. The only thing I hate about intel is that the change the Sockets too much.

Raidur

Distinguished
Nov 27, 2008

Yeah, most 'non computer literate' I've talked to about processors usually still think Pentium 4 is the best series. :pfff:

Falsepuppet

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
Intel has to pay for all those different sockets some how...
I mean how many different sockets for P4 alone?
no I kid, I kid.
I personally have never felt a difference. x4 3Ghz is x4 3Ghz.
I dont like how Intel hsa different priority in processing,
but I also hate how I cant increase priority past high with AMD.

Realistically, Intel charges what they do, because they can. AMD, could charge more, easily, but they usually play the checks and balances role. Which is nice.

Without one, there would be a monopoly, and that would be bad for market.
I wont pay 1K for 3.33 when I can get 3.4 or 3.6 for $300, but thats just me. Like stated above, I believe in price for performance, just like AMD does.
Niether one is bad, and for the most part, I can't tell a difference between same number of cores, and same Mhz.

Status
Not open for further replies.