registry on secondary attached hard drive

Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage,microsoft.public.windowsxp.help_and_support (More info?)

Hi there,

Is there any way I can read the registry on a second hard drive that used to
be the primary hard drive on another computer.

I took the hard drive out of the other computer and put it as a secondary on
my computer to access the files.

I also would like to access the registry in it to see some settings.

How can I do this?

Thanks,

Gordon
2 answers Last reply
More about registry secondary attached hard drive

    you cannot edit the registry
    only the primary drive where you are running the OS, you will have
    acess to registry files

    --
    Double.Trouble
    Double.Trouble's Profile: http://forums.tech-arena.com/member.php?userid=1532

    From the File selection - choose "Load Hive" then navigate to the location
    of the file that contains the part of the registry you wish to view - just
    be sure to "Unload Hive" before existing the registry editor.

    --

    StringFellow Hawk

    "Dom, Give me Turbos"
    "Gordon J. Rattray" <gordscorp@shaw.ca> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > Is there any way I can read the registry on a second hard drive that used
    > be the primary hard drive on another computer.
    >
    > I took the hard drive out of the other computer and put it as a secondary
    on
    > my computer to access the files.
    >
    > I also would like to access the registry in it to see some settings.
    >
    > How can I do this?
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Gordon

Configuration Registry Computers Microsoft Hard Drives Windows XP