Solved

Windows 7 on SSD

So I will be purchasing an SSD in the next month or two(hopefully)

My problem is, that the computer I am using used to be an HP system and didn't come with a Windows 7 disk.

If I create a backup disk for it, will I be able to load Windows 7 off of it?
23 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about windows
  1. You should be able to clone the current OS disk -- all partitions, including the SRP and any HP repair partitions -- using Easeus Todo Backup (http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm) or a number of other drive cloning programs. You should also have a set of HP restore disks that you can make from the data on the HP partition.

Oh, and first make a system repair disk on a cd too -- just type that in the start run box and use the wizard, it will sort out any issue of the ssd being different than the old hdd.
  2. RealBeast said:
    You should also have a set of HP restore disks that you can make from the data on the HP partition.

What do you mean by that?

From what I am understanding, you are saying to use that software to clone the OS(Only the OS? no apps?) onto the new SSD. And then run the the system repair disk to eliminate any problems. Correct?
  3. No, actually you can clone all of the apps too -- I make a back up clone of my 240gb ssd every couple of months onto a 250gb hdd using Ghost 15 and have used it to exchange ssds and often test the back up drive -- it is an identical clone of the original, all programs, data, everything.

The restore disks are useful if you do not have an install disk to fix problems other than this, but you would need to clone the HP partitions onto the new drive also to use those disks in the event of a future problem. See here: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01867124&lc=en&cc=us&dlc=en

Yes, the system repair disk is useful to correct errors in the SRP, like the name of the drive that contains the OS -- I don't always need it when swapping clones, but occasionally do.
  4. Okay, so this is what I will be doing:

-Make a Recovery Disk and System Repair Disk
    -Buy the SSD of course, then plug it in
    -Run the cloning software and transfer the OS and some apps.
    -reboot(if needed)
    -Then run the system repair disk.

That should ne it right?
  5. That's it -- assuming that you currently have your bios SATA mode set to AHCI.

If you currently use IDE mode you can change it to AHCI, it is much easier than it used to be back in the early XP days. Just follow this guide from MS: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976
  6. Alternative to cloning (not a fan of cloning HDD->SSD). and you have accesse to a windows 7 installation disk, ie barrow from a friend).
    Use the windows 7 Installation disk to install windows on to SSD (With old HDD DISCONNECTED and bios set to AHCI.
    Do NOT enter the Key during the installation. Once you have completed the install then enter YOUR HP ksy and activaite.
    But You will have to re-install all your programs.
  7. RetiredChief said:
    Alternative to cloning (not a fan of cloning HDD->SSD). and you have accesse to a windows 7 installation disk, ie barrow from a friend).
    Use the windows 7 Installation disk to install windows on to SSD (With old HDD DISCONNECTED and bios set to AHCI.
    Do NOT enter the Key during the installation. Once you have completed the install then enter YOUR HP ksy and activaite.
    But You will have to re-install all your programs.

This is way better than cloning, didn't think it was possible.

But I think my friend has the Ultimate, and I just have Home premium. Still possible?
  8. Best answer
    You can legally download the Windows 7 Home Premium trial iso: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Home-Premium/3000-18513_4-75187815.html

A fresh install is always better than a clone if you have all of your other program disks and keys.

I always start with a fresh install and use cloning for backup purposes.
  9. "But I think my friend has the Ultimate" Short answer No, However you can Use any version of Premium, Full, oem, or Upgrade version.

Cavet, if you use the Upgrade disk, you must use Custum Install and apply two 'fixes" (A) edit the registry to change MediabootInstall from a "1" to a Zero and (B) run a dos cmd. If that is your option I will post the steps as they are rather simple.

For all three versions - DO NOT enter your Windows Key code during the install process. Once windows has been installed then enter your HP windows Key and activate.

As with any windows install to a SSD (recommend clean install when going from HDD to a SSD). Remember:
    1) DISCONNECT all other HDDs until AFTER windows is installed on the SSD.
    2) Make sure the BIOS is set to AHCI.
  10. RealBeast said:
    You can legally download the Windows 7 Home Premium trial iso: http://download.cnet.com/Windows-7-Home-Premium/3000-18513_4-75187815.html

A fresh install is always better than a clone if you have all of your other program disks and keys.

I always start with a fresh install and use cloning for backup purposes.

^ And how will I install it with that method?
  11. Just download the Premium trial, burn it to a disk and then do as RetiredChief says about disconnect all HDDs, set to AHCI SATA mode in bios right before install, and not entering the key until done.
  12. Okay, this is what I will be doing:

- Download the trial
    - Drag the files onto a CD
    - unplug harddrives, leave SSD plugged in
    - boot up from the CD drive
    - let Windows install, when it ask for the key, say later
    - Once in the desktop put in the key
    - shut down
    - plug harddrives back
    - set SSD to primary, and AHCI

Correct?

Also, where do I find my Windows 7 key?
    I remember finding it like a week ago, but I forgot! Haha
  13. No, the step where you set the BIOS to AHCI should be immediately before you do the Windows install, right after putting the SSD physically into the machine.

And the trial will burn to a DVD -- OSs are much bigger now.

You can wait to put the key in until you are happy all is well -- those are 90 day trials.

The windows key should be on a sticker on the computer.
  14. 1) the Bios setting to AHCI must be done BEFORE installing windows.
    2) I think you meant put on DVD, not CD. and this will be an Iso, so don't just copy like any old file. If Yousing windows DVD burner, I think if you stick a DVD in then drage the File to the DVD drive shown in My computer it will select iso burn. Other wise make sure you select iso burn otherwise the DVD will not boot.
    3) On my laptops it is on the underside. Should be a sticker on the computer, if Not in the documentation.
  15. Okay, also, lets say for some reason it doesn't work, Windows 7 will still remain on the harddrive I am using right now, correct?
  16. yes, unless you reformat.
  17. Yes, infact you should be able to daul boot into windows 7 on SSD, or the HDD. On my Gigabyte system if I hit F12 during post after the post completes it brings up a boot menu - should show DVD drive, HDD and SSD, In my Asrock MB it is F11. So need to check manual. NOTE this does not change the boot priority in BIOS. for example if you set boot first device to SSD, use the Hot key to bring up a boot menu and select say the HDD. The computer will boot th the HDD, But should you reboot, the computer will boot to the SSD unless you again hit the Hot key for the Boot menu.

Does HP provide this option - I have NO idea - LOL.

PS - Once you have windows 7 installed on the SSD, all drivers loaded and working and all programs installed:
    ..Use windows 7 backup to create a image of your SSD "C" drive, located in control panel.
    .. select to put the Image on the HDD, or on a set of DVDs (normally 3+). My self I put on the internal HDD and as a precaution copy it to an external drive.
    .. When the image file has completed, it will prompt you to make a BOOTABLE repair disk - will not have to:
    ....... Barrow a disk
    ....... Will NOT have to re-install windows, Reload drivers, redo all them pesky windows updates, not have to REINSTALL all programs.
    Need to restore next time, just pop repair disk in, select retore from Image and WALLA, 10 minues latter Boot into Windows!!your windows and all programs have been install

18. Never mind, completely different one on the case.
  19. Not sure but edited my post to include Backup. Have to run, Take care, good luck and most of all
    ENJOY that SSD
  20. Okay, so this will be the install process:

- BURN the Windows Home Premium Trial to a DVD
    - Unplug the harddrives, leave SSD plugged in
    - Change SSD to AHCI mode in the BIOS
    - Harddisk priority to the SSD
    - First boot device to the DVD
    - Let windows set up
    - Dont enter the key when it ask
    - Once I feel everything is fine, put the product key in

And done correct?
  21. Yes, that's it.
  22. Awesome, I honestly can't thank both of you enough! Wish I could select you both as best answer, seeing how you equally helped me.

And hopefully this works out well for me!

Again, thanks a ton guys! :)
  23. Best answer selected by The Halo Don.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Windows 7 Hewlett Packard Storage