Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Just purchased a 285 GTX

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 7, 2010 10:25:55 PM

I just purchased a 285 GTX for $399 a couple days ago.... Can someone convince me it wasn't a bad idea? I'm having regrets about not waiting for the DX11 400 series cards, and unfortunately I can't return it cause of newegg's policy.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Model
Brand MSI
Model N285GTX SuperPipe OC
Interface
Interface PCI Express 2.0 x16
Chipset
Chipset Manufacturer NVIDIA
GPU GeForce GTX 285
Core Clock 680MHz
Stream Processors 240 Processor Cores
Memory
Effective Memory Clock 2500MHz
Memory Size 1GB
Memory Interface 512-bit
Memory Type DDR3
3D API
DirectX DirectX 10
OpenGL OpenGL 2.1
Ports
HDMI 1 x HDMI (via Adapter)
DVI 2 x DVI
TV-Out HDTV / S-Video Out
General
Max Resolution 2560 x 1600
SLI Support 3-Way SLI
Cooler With Fan
Power Connector 2 x 6 Pin
Dual-Link DVI Supported Yes
HDCP Ready Yes

More about : purchased 285 gtx

a b } Memory
March 7, 2010 10:49:24 PM

Wow, I'm sorry.

You could have had a faster card for exactly the same cash without even having to wait. You could have a 5870 for that (which trades blows with the GTX 295, and absolutely flattens the 285).
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 10:55:05 PM

I've had extremely bad experience with ATI in the past and avoid it at all costs... So knowing that doesn't bother me at all
m
0
l
Related resources
March 7, 2010 10:55:15 PM

Agree with cjl, a 5850 or 5870 would have been a better buy if you are insistent on getting a card today and not waiting for Fermi.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 7, 2010 10:58:14 PM

An HD5870 would have been much better; big waste of $400.
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:02:53 PM

lol
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:06:13 PM

christopher313 said:
I've had extremely bad experience with ATI in the past and avoid it at all costs... So knowing that doesn't bother me at all


99% of people have had good experiences with ATI and Nvidia. The other 1% who have a bad experience assume all graphics cards of that particular brand must be bad.


But if you really want Nvidia, $400 on a GTX285 is a complete waste of money. The only high end Nvidia card worth its money now is maybe the GTX260 for about $160. Nvidia DX11 Fermi is coming out within 30 days, so return your GTX285 and wait till Fermi comes out.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 7, 2010 11:07:06 PM

Bluescreen; find me a GTX260 under the price of an HD4890, :p .
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:08:40 PM

^ Well, if retailers didn't jack up the price, they would cost about the same as a 4870... >_<

I guess you can always go ebay and buy them for 75% of the cost, which I'd assume now must be $150-ish for a used card.
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:17:41 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
99% of people have had good experiences with ATI and Nvidia. The other 1% who have a bad experience assume all graphics cards of that particular brand must be bad.


But if you really want Nvidia, $400 on a GTX285 is a complete waste of money. The only high end Nvidia card worth its money now is maybe the GTX260 for about $160. Nvidia DX11 Fermi is coming out within 30 days, so return your GTX285 and wait till Fermi comes out.



Yeah, wish I could return it, but newegg has terrible return policies. Oh well, I'll probably buy another one and do a 2-way sli
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:28:39 PM

Think it's worth it? It had terrible reviews even when it was introduced years ago. You said Bluescreen, did the 285 crap out?
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:32:33 PM

mister g said:
Think it's worth it? It had terrible reviews even when it was introduced years ago. You said Bluescreen, did the 285 crap out?



Well I'm stuck with it i guess, unless you guys know a good way of getting rid of it
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:35:01 PM

RMA itis the easiest way out, tell us how did it occur though?
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:44:08 PM

Bluescreendeath said:
How long ago did you buy it? You can return it (RMA) within 30 days for a refund.

http://www.newegg.com/HelpInfo/FAQDetail.aspx?Module=6



That item off of neweggs website:

Quote:

Return Policies

This item is covered by Newegg.com's VGA Replacement Only Return Policy.

* Return for refund within: non-refundable
* Return for replacement within: 30 days



So, your best bet is to definitely purchase one or two more and do an SLI configuration, because there is no way to get rid of it otherwise.
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:49:42 PM

Like the above dude try replacement, but if not you said it bluescreened we'll try to help you here. SLI doesn't work with a busted card.
m
0
l
March 7, 2010 11:57:47 PM

mister g said:
Like the above dude try replacement, but if not you said it bluescreened we'll try to help you here. SLI doesn't work with a busted card.


Where did he say it bluescreened? His original issue was not waiting for the Fermi and regretting it. He could probably get a replacement for the same card, but I think he wants a refund which he wont get (see my above post -- its covered under VGA limited returns -- NO REFUNDS). Thats why I recommend 3 way SLI on that card. Just make sure you have a good PSU for that (745w and up)
m
0
l
a b } Memory
March 8, 2010 12:10:35 AM

christopher313 said:
I've had extremely bad experience with ATI in the past and avoid it at all costs... So knowing that doesn't bother me at all

That's not a good reason to avoid them. A bad experience with one card can happen with either ATI or Nvidia, and that has no real bearing on how reliable their other products are.
m
0
l
a b } Memory
March 8, 2010 12:12:08 AM

christopher313 said:
Yeah, wish I could return it, but newegg has terrible return policies. Oh well, I'll probably buy another one and do a 2-way sli

I definitely wouldn't buy a second. I would stick with the single for now, and buy a different card in a year or two to replace it. SLI is not worth the cash at this point.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 12:18:47 AM

1337man3 said:
Where did he say it bluescreened? His original issue was not waiting for the Fermi and regretting it. He could probably get a replacement for the same card, but I think he wants a refund which he wont get (see my above post -- its covered under VGA limited returns -- NO REFUNDS). Thats why I recommend 3 way SLI on that card. Just make sure you have a good PSU for that (745w and up)


My bad, shadow posted and I forgot the OP was christopher, I got a question why would he want 3 way when he could get a 5970 aor less than that? I know he doesn't like Ati.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 12:27:25 AM

I still don't understand how Newegg was selling a GTX285 for $400 when you can buy a better 5850 for $300. Or a GTX295 or 5870 for ~$450, and they and they significantly outperform the GTX285.

As for the no-return policy, the people who made that no-refund rule probably knew $400 for a GTX285 was a complete ripoff, so they didn't want any poor guy to find out and return the GPU for a refund.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 12:28:39 AM

+1, the no refund is actually pretty standard among internet supppliers, although a 15% restocking fee may or may not have been more reasonable.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 12:47:55 AM

Actually, is there an exchange policy?
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 12:56:31 AM

Not sure about ur city, but where I live, selling display cards as second hand products to other people in the city is what I usually do

Or better yet, try to sell it to a friend, convince them like someone convinced u that a 285 is good~

If not, 285 isn't a bad card at all, just keep using it, I mean as of right now, DX11... hmm yea 4 games supported and only one is good

Besides, all DX11 games support DX10, you gain more frames just to play it under DX10 and yea, 285 never had much problems compared to 5800 series.

Before anyone tries to flame me, put ur own asses in this dudes shoes

m
0
l
March 8, 2010 12:59:34 AM

+1, still my guess is in a year or two the price of the card should drop to like current 9800 prices. So he could SLI and get awesome performance, or so I hope.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 2:31:38 AM

I don't console people, much less people this paranoid.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 6:22:11 PM

Wow, he's SOL at this point. Could he return it and ask for a 400$ Newegg gift card, and get a 5870? If not, you could always use 3D vision, the one usefull think about Nvidia cards....
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 6:36:23 PM

He can't return it, it's been delisted and Newegg won't allow him to.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 6:37:49 PM

Hahah. Ownd. Should have posted a thread asking if it was a good idea first. Let this serve a lesson to reaserch+ post a thread first, then buy, not the other way around.
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 7:40:41 PM

The GTX 285's availability pwned someone.
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
March 8, 2010 9:00:51 PM

lol
m
0
l
March 8, 2010 10:09:59 PM

MouseMonkey, I've dectected that people are posting their idea, and thoughts, in such a manner to hurt Nvidia.

Please close this thread like all the other discusions that hurt Nvidias image!
m
0
l
November 15, 2011 1:16:12 PM

Do you still have this card, and are you willing to sell it?

MSI N285GTX Superpipe

Steve

steveklein4@comcast.net
m
0
l
a b Î Nvidia
a b } Memory
November 15, 2011 1:39:07 PM

Wow... necro thread. Might need a lockdown.

Knighthis - if he even comes here anymore, just private message him instead of reviving a year old thread.
m
0
l
November 15, 2011 2:14:25 PM

Very Sorry!

Will not happen again!



wolfram23 said:
Wow... necro thread. Might need a lockdown.

Knighthis - if he even comes here anymore, just private message him instead of reviving a year old thread.

m
0
l
!