Sign in with
Your question

Liquid Nitrogen cooled waterloop?

Last response: in Overclocking
January 31, 2013 10:40:02 PM

Hi this is an idea going throgh my head and i want some advice from someone a little more technically minded than me to tell me if it's feasible or if I'm flogging a dead horse.

Would it be possible to create a LN2 chamber, with a radiator style hollow running through the bottom of the copper, to cool the waterloop as it runs through? Nobody i know of makes anything like this. That may be because its a dumb idea but i think there may be some validity in it.

I know people use ln2 to cool the chips and hardware directly, but has anyone ever used it to cool the waterloop on a watercooled pc? Also, by using car antifreeze (which is also coolant), you could theoretically get the coolant temps in your loop down to around -15 degrees.

Do you think i've got a good idea; or do you think i need to lay off the bathsalts?

Cheers
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 10:51:13 PM

Erm... no, that's not going to happen.

The pressure required to keep the nitrogen in liquid form would make such a system EXTREMELY infeasible... and there'd be no way of doing maintenance on it.

You also don't want your watercooling loop to be below ambient temperatures unless it's HEAVILY insulated - otherwise you have all sorts of nasty condensation issues.
a b K Overclocking
January 31, 2013 10:55:42 PM

Yea. No way on earth
January 31, 2013 11:01:38 PM

Liquid nitrogen boils immediately when it comes into contact with warmer objects, so unless you can contain the evaporation and recycle it you would have to constantly keep refilling it.
!