XP not recognizing my Sony F707 Camera

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 2, 2004 2:26:46 PM

Hello,

I have a Sony F707 camera and have been running "Windows 2000" for
the last couple of years.
I just changed computers and now I'm running "XP"; here's my problem:
XP only recognizes the F707 connected to a USB port on a computer
power up.
If I have the computer running and then connect the F707 the computer
doesn't
see the camera.
I've tried the PTP mode on the F707 and it makes no difference.
There are no XP drivers that I can find (XP doesn't need a driver
according to Sony's WEB site).

Does anyone have any ideas on how can fix this?

Thanks,
Keith
Anonymous
December 3, 2004 12:41:26 AM

I guess this is just one more reason not to switch to XP. Since I'm still
running W2k, I really don't have much of an answer for you. Honestly, I'd
suggest you may want to get a USB card reader. (?) I can get a new Sony
reader rather cheap these days. ~$50 I believe. Drop me an EMail if you're
interested...

Seymore...
www.SonyCams.com
Sony F717 / TRV70
Nikon N90s, FM2, SB22 Speed-Light Flash
Nikon MF 50mm 1.4/f16 -- AF 24-50mm 3.3-4.5/f22
Nikon AF 60mm 2.8/f32 -- AF 35-135mm 3.5-4.5/f22
Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 4.5-5.6/f32 -- AT-X 100-300mm 4/f32
remove "REMOVE" to reply directly

"Dowser" <kebb@lle.rochester.edu> wrote in message
> Hello,
>
> I have a Sony F707 camera and have been running "Windows 2000" for
> the last couple of years.
> I just changed computers and now I'm running "XP"; here's my problem:
> XP only recognizes the F707 connected to a USB port on a computer
> power up.
> If I have the computer running and then connect the F707 the computer
> doesn't
> see the camera.
> I've tried the PTP mode on the F707 and it makes no difference.
> There are no XP drivers that I can find (XP doesn't need a driver
> according to Sony's WEB site).
>
> Does anyone have any ideas on how can fix this?
>
> Thanks,
> Keith
December 4, 2004 11:36:46 AM

I too have XP. When I first began using my Nikon D70 recently, I didn't
install the software that Nikon said was essential for downloading images.
Instead I just attached the USB cable, turned the camera on, and it was
recognized. After a couple of weeks this was no longer so. Then I attached
and turned on the camera before power-up, and it's recognized again. Great.

So who works on the PC doing something else and THEN gets around to the new
images? When I take some pics, I want to see the images pronto (instant
gratification-- the sign of our times). The fact that the camera is
recognized only after power-up is no reason to dump XP, which I wouldn't
want to do without. I've been using Windows since 3.11 and remember the
weaknesses of various versions since then.
December 4, 2004 5:32:10 PM

In message <corpfd$srj$00$1@news.t-online.com>,
"MB" <marciabeinhauer@t-online.de> wrote:

>Then I attached
>and turned on the camera before power-up, and it's recognized again.

What do you mean by recognized?

Are you talking about a window popping up in response to the connection,
or whether or not the drive is listed in "my computer"?
--

<>>< ><<> ><<> <>>< ><<> <>>< <>>< ><<>
John P Sheehy <JPS@no.komm>
><<> <>>< <>>< ><<> <>>< ><<> ><<> <>><
December 5, 2004 9:46:14 AM

By "recognized" I mean it's in the list on My Computer. I click it, then
copy the images to the Nikon folder that I created on my "Photos and Videos"
drive. Then I turn off the camera and go to my favorite photo program for
viewing and cropping or dumping the images, FixFoto.
Anonymous
December 5, 2004 1:20:35 PM

that's strange, my desktop and laptop both run XP, and my 707 was recognized
immediately. It comes up with the warning that it is not a USB 2.0 device,
but other than that, it works perfectly.

Rex

"Seymore" <g_seymore@REMOVEhotmail.com> wrote in message
>I guess this is just one more reason not to switch to XP. Since I'm still
> running W2k, I really don't have much of an answer for you. Honestly, I'd
> suggest you may want to get a USB card reader. (?) I can get a new Sony
> reader rather cheap these days. ~$50 I believe. Drop me an EMail if you're
> interested...
>
> Seymore...
> www.SonyCams.com
> Sony F717 / TRV70
> Nikon N90s, FM2, SB22 Speed-Light Flash
> Nikon MF 50mm 1.4/f16 -- AF 24-50mm 3.3-4.5/f22
> Nikon AF 60mm 2.8/f32 -- AF 35-135mm 3.5-4.5/f22
> Tokina SZ-X 80-200mm 4.5-5.6/f32 -- AT-X 100-300mm 4/f32
> remove "REMOVE" to reply directly
>

> "Dowser" <kebb@lle.rochester.edu> wrote in message
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a Sony F707 camera and have been running "Windows 2000" for
>> the last couple of years.
>> I just changed computers and now I'm running "XP"; here's my problem:
>> XP only recognizes the F707 connected to a USB port on a computer
>> power up.
>> If I have the computer running and then connect the F707 the computer
>> doesn't
>> see the camera.
>> I've tried the PTP mode on the F707 and it makes no difference.
>> There are no XP drivers that I can find (XP doesn't need a driver
>> according to Sony's WEB site).
>>
>> Does anyone have any ideas on how can fix this?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Keith

Anonymous
December 6, 2004 9:48:46 AM

The device recognition on USB ports is solve
I checked the USB ports in the hardware set-up
menu and sure enough there was a yellow sign telling me there was
a USB port conflict. I deleted the conflict and now USB port devices
are recognized when inserted.

Keith
Anonymous
December 7, 2004 1:33:04 AM