CPU:I7 870 (OC to 4.0ghz)
GPU:5870x2 in Crossfire(slight OC)
Ram:8 gb DDR3 2000
HD:1 TB WDx2 in Raid format
PSU:Kingston 1000W
Motherboard:MSI P55

More about : upgrade high end question

March 23, 2010 8:25:36 AM

You should buy a SSD and then burn your $ on something else, because 2 5870s is pretty much overkill for any game. The only way I could justify getting those cards is if they could work in eyefinity while in crossfire to push multiple displays. Crysis is also a challenge but practically no1 even play it. Its considered a benchmark by most and not really a great game. Tibia, The 2D overhead RPG game that was released in 1997 has more players and more hours logged than both Crysis warhead and crysis wars put together to give you a comparison.
m
l
March 23, 2010 8:31:50 AM

Jarmel said:
My current rig is
CPU:I7 870 (OC to 4.0ghz)
GPU:5870x2 in Crossfire(slight OC)
Ram:8 gb DDR3 2000
HD:1 TB WDx2 in Raid format
PSU:Kingston 1000W
Motherboard:MSI P55

+1 on killerhurts SSD recommendation. But not about moving to Antartica... :) 
Are you up to watercooling? It's going to be better than Artartica.

Anyway, what is your objective in upgrading? Do you want to up your benchmark scores or just want to tinker with your PC for the sake of it?
m
l
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
March 23, 2010 9:04:03 AM

@killer
Actually Metro 2033 is pushing the computer's limits right now but I'm atleast able to get 30 fps.
@random
The problem with watercooling is the hassle. My main objective ideally is to get more FPS in gaming. I was looking at upgrading my CPU but from what I understand there would be little if any benefit. I am considering a SSD, it's just the size that's a problem.
m
l
March 23, 2010 9:41:34 AM

+1 for SSD.

Everything else seems fine to me.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 23, 2010 2:18:42 PM

@ killerhurts, Crysis is a great game. You just crazy! I even thought it was great when I could only run it on medium at 1024x768 with a 3850 and Athlon 5000+ X2

Anyway, yeah some SSDs. Get two and use them in RAID ^_^
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:17:53 PM

I am playing crysis now, still on the "Adapt or Perish" stage. Its great so far...

@jarmel,
If you haven't done so... get at least 2 more monitors for a 3-monitor eyefinity. It is nice to hear from someone how it performs...
And if you haven't got a surround 5.1 or 7.1 speaker system, get it too.. you will love it...
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:20:22 PM

if you have the money i would look into i7 930. i don't know why, i7 870 is pretty good but 1366 is more future proof
m
l
March 23, 2010 11:27:08 PM

samdsox said:
if you have the money i would look into i7 930. i don't know why, i7 870 is pretty good but 1366 is more future proof

He already considered it but decided CPU upgrade will do little to increase his FPS in games.
@jarmel,
If still in doubt about SSD size, go with megaman's suggestion to get 2 and put in RAID 0. Thus a 64GB SSD will sum up to 128GB enough to install the OS and a handful of games. Just get the 150mbps read/write speed as some cheaper SSD's have lower read/write speed.
m
l
March 24, 2010 1:29:12 PM

Jarmel said:
@killer
Actually Metro 2033 is pushing the computer's limits right now but I'm atleast able to get 30 fps.
@random
The problem with watercooling is the hassle. My main objective ideally is to get more FPS in gaming. I was looking at upgrading my CPU but from what I understand there would be little if any benefit. I am considering a SSD, it's just the size that's a problem.

If your only objective is to get more fps, a SSD is not going to help you. It will help you load windows and games faster, helps when transitioning levels in games but will not increase your FPS. If this is an improvement you are happy with then go ahead and invest in them but just felt like warning you not to expect better FPS :p 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 1:55:31 PM

liquid cooling could be an option?
m
l
March 24, 2010 2:23:47 PM

Ok I'm not against upgrading the CPU but from what I understand, the 930 wouldn't really benefit me unless I had watercooling and OCed the CPU to above 4.0.

Liquid cooling I had seriously considered when I built the PC but the problem was(atleast at the time)none of my parts were compatible with any liquid cooling system at the time(870 and 5870 being new at the time).

Would there really be a performance jump if I got two SSDs and hooked them up into RAID? I'm thinking about trying out a MMORPG and someone said that SSDs specifically help out with that genre of games.
m
l
March 24, 2010 3:19:59 PM

That sounds logical as MMORPG's have to load a lot of new landscape while running around. I dont know if a normal HD would have trouble with loading the required data though. Would be worth a little research imo or mabe somebody else knows the answer.
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
March 24, 2010 3:51:18 PM

There isn't a whole lot you can do to gain more FPS. That system smashes current apps. If you've got the bug and the cash, +1 for some SSD's in RAID0.
m
l