SSD much slower since Win 7 reinstall

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I'm running my Samsung 830 SSD on my P67 mobo, two partitions, one for OSX and one for Win7.
The time had come for a new installation of Win 7, so I wiped the SSD entirely, but this time went for GPT formatting, rather than MBR as before.
My new Win7 installation now has much slower speeds on the SSD: I used to get 450MB/sec, and now I'm struggling to get over 300MB/s.
Could the different formatting really be the reason, or did I forget to enable anything/install any drivers. I used the old Win install for quite a while, so could have tweaked this and that, but I imagine on a clean system (after disabling Superfetch and write caching), I think the SSD should run at its fastest out of the box.

Any ideas?

cbrunnem

Distinguished

i thought you couldnt boot windows from a gpt formatted disk?

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I'd really recommend using the SATA III ports coming off the P67 chipset. They're significantly faster than the Marvell crap that the motherboard manufacturers put on. But since you did get good performance before, check that you have the latest Marvell drivers installed.

Naujoks

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
I didn't mess with the hardware, so I wouldn't have thought cables are the issue.
I read that the secure erase is to take about 6 mins though. I indeed zeros are to be written on the entire drive i would have expected it to take longer than 6 seconds, so maybe it didn't work after all....

RealBeast

Titan

It takes about 2 minutes for my 256gb drives, it used to take many hours for HDDs.