Sign in with
Your question

6Gb onboard support RAID 0?

Last response: in Motherboards
November 24, 2010 3:23:05 PM

Noticed the ASUS x58 boards don't support on board RAID making me sad because I know the Sandforce 2K controller and RAIDing two drives next year would be a great use. What other manufactures support this? yes, I know I am better off on getting a standalone controller but...
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 3:41:39 PM

Duh, which ASUS X58 MOBOs; mine certainly does an it's 'average' - ASUS P6X58D-E. The only on-board RAID 'I' trust is Intel or in my case ICH10R {R=RAID}.

ASUS P6X58D-E - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=gFBKfNyhppW9tDbB
Intel ICH10R controller
6 xSATA 3.0 Gb/s ports
Intel Matrix Storage Technology Support RAID 0,1,5,10

Hmm, I just looked and 100% of the ASUS X58 have Intel ICH10R ; they ALL have RAID Support?!
m
l
November 24, 2010 3:50:51 PM

None of the ASUS support 6Gb RAID.
m
l
Related resources
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 3:56:41 PM

What drives are you looking at?
m
l
November 24, 2010 4:29:10 PM

jaquith said:
What drives are you looking at?

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3971/sandforce-announces-...

The drives using that controller. Obviously will be next year but I know I want to upgrade at that time. Current have Dual P64's in a RAID 0 on my P5W-DH that I will be moving to the upgraded board/RAM/CPU. Really looking at the x58 over the SB platform because the RAM total. Right now 24GB is rarely utilized but in the future it will be just like people said "32MB will never be used!".
m
l
a c 717 V Motherboard
November 24, 2010 6:33:42 PM

The drives, I read the articles, are primarily SAS which are incompatible with SATA; I run SAS on my servers and SSD isn't going anywhere near my servers until the Write lifespan limit is solved.

Since these drives are coming out 'later' who knows when, the X68 will be available and those specs are not available. I built an SR-2 and even with it's capabilities the RAID 0 (2) C300's are being run-off a dedicated LSI RAID Controller w/battery. Therefore, running (2) of these will be 1. VERY Costly, 2. CRAZY to run-off ANY on-board RAID 0/1/10 and WACKY if in RAID 5 with on-board.

If it were me then these would only show up as RAID 0 in a $6,000-$10,000+ rig. The on-board RAID is the least of your worries.

Reason, IF your rig fails, doesn't matter why, I GUARANTEE the RAID will be so corrupted that you'd need to format and start all over. Battery-Back-up: ANY data stored in the buffer will be written as soon as the rig is back up running.

Cost, sizable SandForce SSDs are going to be on the cheap side $700 if not a lot more expensive.

MOBOs:
GA-X58A-UD9
ASUS P6T7 WS {SAS}

m
l
!