Issues with Sabertooth 990FX??

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I just purchased a Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and was extremely pleased with it for the first day that I had it. I was able to overclock my Phenom II 965 to 4.335ghz @ 1.452 Vcore. On my old boards a 4.3Ghz overclock required a 1.488 or 1.5 Vcore with this CPU.

Well, on the 2nd day of owning this board the audio took a crap. It started sounding fuzzy and then quickly started making exorcist noises at all times. So, I called Asus to see if they would replace it and I was told to go back to the place of purchase and get a new one because if Asus were to send me one it would likely be a refurb.

So, I did as they said and got my new Sabertooth yesterday. I loaded everything up at stock settings and then figured I would try my old settings from the other board. I got a blue screen on startup of Windows. I have messed with various settings and can't even get this thing to pass a standard IBT (Intel Burn Test) at anything over 3.9 Ghz.

Even my old boards (Asrock 770DE+ and Asus M4A87TD EVO) can run 4ghz on stock voltage with no issues using this processor and cpu cooler.

All hardware and settings on the original Sabertooth board:

AMD Phenom II X4 965 @ 4.335 Ghz @ 1.452 Vcore (21.5 x 201.6) Max temp under IBT on Very High settings was 55C after nearly an hour.

Coolermaster 212 in push/pull

16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR3 1600

OCZ Modstream 600W PSU

Sapphire 7770 @ 1200 core / 1300 memory

Fractal R4 Case

Crucial M4 SSD (OS)

Windows 7 X64 Ultimate with all updates installed

Bios settings on original Sabertooth:

AI overclock tuner - manual
cpu ratio - 21.5
CPU Bus - 201 ( it automatically adds .6 to anything you set it to)
PCIE - 205
Memory frequency - auto (DDR3 - 1608 Mhz)
CPU/NB Freq - 2814
HT Link - Auto
CPU Offset Voltage - .0750000

If I didn't list it, it's because the setting is still at auto.

On the new board, I have tried a simple overclock of just upping the multiplier to 20 and setting the voltage to 1.5Vcore (for 4.0Ghz) and the system will boot but within a few minutes of starting IBT the system will typically freeze or restart.

I have checked all the voltages/temps and everything is within spec and I assume everything is showing the correct information as Aida, HWinfo, and CPU-Z are all reporting the same numbers and they seem to be fairly close to what is set/showing in the bios.

I have disabled all power saving features (CQ, C1 etc). I have reinstalled the OS to rule that out. I have installed my cpu, memory and 212 back on my old motherboards and both have been able to hit 4.3Ghz on 1.5Vcore (Asrock) and 1.488Vcore (Asus EVO). So I have ruled out my CPU. I have tried other memory and that makes no difference either. My CPU temps are acceptable, topping out at 55C. Both boards are running the newest BIOS. I tried loading the bios defaults and then changing just the CPU multiplier..

So far I can honestly say that in my experience, the Asus TUF series (The Ultimate Force) should instead be called The Ultimate Fail series.

So, is this just a bad/under performing board or am I missing something?

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012
I now have a third Sabertooth 990FX R2.0 and all is well. So far the audio works and the system easily overclocks like the first board. Hopefully this one doesn't decide to fail like the last two did.

ish416

Honorable
Jul 5, 2012

Both boards were running the newest BIOS. It was just a crap motherboard.

The new (third) board has performed like the original but still has audio.