Memory not running at specified speed on Rampage III Extreme

Coamex

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I currently have the Corsair Dominator CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 (3x4GB @ 1600 MHz) installed on a ASUS Rampage III Extreme with an Intel i7 980X EE.

The problem comes with me not being able to run the memory at the specified 1600 MHZ. I activate the XMP feature on the BIOS and I get an "Overclocking Failed!" message. I try overclocking manually. I got my system to almost 4GHz and the memory to 1593 MHz and it seems to be stable, although I might be using more V than needed in some settings...not sure.

Anyways, as soon as I try to hit the 1600 MHz mark, it will fail and give me the "Overclocking Failed!" message. I can get to almost 1600 MHz without an issue, BUT if I hit the 1600 MHz mark or just a tad over it...BUM...Overclocking Failed! Which I find VERY weird. Why can I get to ALMOST 1600 MHz, but not to or above it?

I started an RMA process for my Memory with NEWEGG since that was the recommendation from ASUS. ASUS also said that if this new memory doesn't work with the XMP feature, then I probably have a bad CPU and need to RMA it. They never suggested that the MOBO might be the problem, but hey, they are the manufacturers of the MOBO so I don't think they will suggest that first.

Any help and suggestions as to how can I get my memory to run @ its specified 1600 MHz will be greatly appreciated.

Also, I'm considering these memory kits to substitute my current one:
Corsair CMT8GX3M2A2000C9 (Just get the 8GB kit and then add to it in the future since NEWEGG ran out of the 12GB kit)
G.Skill F3-16000CL9T-12GBRM

Any suggestions as to what memory to choose will also be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Solution
Statistical Anomaly (3 R3E + i7 980X)

There's coincidence and there's production issues. Clearly, the observation is the MOBO + CPU, but since I'm not seeing a whole lot of i7 980X causing problems -> my assumption on the root cause is 80% MOBO and 20% CPU. I thought you all would be interested in seeing the links. Keep in mind I 'NEVER' have this much trouble helping people OC RAM - it's simple. But I find myself suggesting 'FRINGE' BIOS settings that are typically meant for a rare instances with 6 sticks of RAM with 'average' underpowered MOBOs.

I cannot rule-out either CPU or MOBO.

Links:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282924-30-unlock-asus-rampage-extreme...

Nubiatem

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010

IMO its REALLY not worth it to RMA, if the timings are tight and cas 9 is not bad then i'd say live with it.
I personally have had some trouble in the past overclocking larger sticks of ram (4gb stick instead of 2) but the performance difference will be non existent, you might not even see a difference in benchmarks. I'd be happy you got to 4ghz and your ram is stable. Have you run stress tests to rule out any additional issues with the ram?

Edit: also check the dram voltage, it should be 1.65, but it should be fine at 1.66.

ref:
ASUS Rampage III Extreme - http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=jy0uafxYBCrJwksC
Corsair Tested - http://www.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1493037
RAM CMP12GX3M3A1600C9 ; 1600 MHz 9-9-9-24-2T ; DDR3-1600 (Dominator-12800C9*XMP*3CH)

BIOS:
1. Load Defaults
2. AI Overclock Tuner -> X.M.P.
3. DRAM Frequency -> DDR3-1600 Mhz
4. Save & Exit =Yes

Test

BIOS
CAS# Latency -> 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9
RAS# PRE Time -> 9
RAS# ACT Time -> 24

Timing Mode -> 2N

I had some work I needed to finish.

{Set 2}
BIOS:
1. Load Defaults
2. AI Overclock Tuner -> X.M.P.

timings:
CAS# Latency -> 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9
RAS# PRE Time -> 9
RAS# ACT Time -> 24

Timing Mode -> 2N

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.40V
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.65+V

Save & Exit =Yes

///FAILURE///

{Set 3}
BIOS:
1. Load Defaults
2. AI Overclock Tuner -> Manual

-- over kill -- /
4. Performance/Watt select -> Power Enhanced
5. Intel(R) C-STATE Tech -> Enabled
6. C State package limit setting -> Auto
7. C1 Auto Demotion -> Enabled
8. C3 Auto Demotion -> Enabled
/

timings:
CAS# Latency -> 9
RAS# to CAS# Delay -> 9
RAS# PRE Time -> 9
RAS# ACT Time -> 24

Timing Mode -> 2N

QPI/DRAM Core Voltage -> 1.40V
DRAM Bus Voltage -> 1.65+V

Save & Exit =Yes

Keep in mind if I were there, all these posts combined would be a 5-20 minute process.

Coamex

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

Did both exactly as you prescribed, Overclocking Failed! was the result. So what needs to be RMAd here in addition to the Memory which I already will RMA?

Thank you again.

Coamex

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010

Roger. I will post the result with the new memory next week. Thank you very much again.

Statistical Anomaly (3 R3E + i7 980X)

There's coincidence and there's production issues. Clearly, the observation is the MOBO + CPU, but since I'm not seeing a whole lot of i7 980X causing problems -> my assumption on the root cause is 80% MOBO and 20% CPU. I thought you all would be interested in seeing the links. Keep in mind I 'NEVER' have this much trouble helping people OC RAM - it's simple. But I find myself suggesting 'FRINGE' BIOS settings that are typically meant for a rare instances with 6 sticks of RAM with 'average' underpowered MOBOs.

I cannot rule-out either CPU or MOBO.

Links:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/282924-30-unlock-asus-rampage-extreme

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283205-30-memory-running-speed-rampage-extreme

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/283218-30-higher-voltage-stock-settings

Solution

Coamex

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
Jaquith! Good news! G.Skill memory arrived today (F3-16000CL9T-12GBRM, 3x4GB @ 2000 MHz), I just installed it, activated XMP...VOILA! System booted perfectly, no issues at all! Memory running @ 2006 MHz with the CPU at a slight OC of 3.45 due to the XMP. So this obviously means that the Corsair Memory was the issue, right? I can't be happier! Just waiting for a sound card and I should be good to go by tomorrow! Any suggestions or comments, please let me know! Thank you again!

Must have been the RAM; it's rare to see bad Corsair's but I've seen their 2000 MHz throw some issues w/o an OC CPU, but this is the first 1600 MHz 3X4GB with problems I've see. Anytime I have to post what 'I' deem to be fringe RAM BIOS settings nothing good can come of it.

At least it ruled-out both the MOBO & CPU. Let me know if something changes...

Good Luck!