Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Eyefinity with crossfire 5870's?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
March 8, 2010 2:06:34 AM

Okay I am planning on going with 3 22-inch monitors setup in eyefinity. My computer is a gaming rig and I need to decide on crossfiring 2 5870's or using a single 5970.

My decision doesn't depend on something like getting a second 5970 for four gpu's... 2 gpu's is all i will go for now and in the future. That said eyefinity supposedly "just" works on crossfire setups. Some say that dual 5870's will give overall increased performance but i have already bought my monitors and the return period is over dumb move but o well :)  so I am not gonna end up with a 30'' (to expensive anyways) so what's your verdict? 5970 or 2 5870. Also i hear that 5970 has bad heat management. The big thing is that in order to get a 5970 i need the patience of a monk. if you know a place i can get one quick that'd be great!!
a b C Monitor
March 8, 2010 2:21:08 AM

1 5870 will drive 3 x 1920x1080 quite well.
Depends on the resolution of the 22 inch, is it 1920x1080 or 1680x1050?
If it's the latter a single 5870 should do it quite well, plus OCing means you got a pretty nice set-up.
If they are 1920x1080 then 2 5870's will be more useful.

However, if you want 4xAA (plenty) and max out most games then 2 5870's is the way to go.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 8, 2010 2:24:46 AM

Two 5870s will beat a 5970, but also be slightly more expensive, and will have better availability which would help balance things out.

Either way you will have to deal with crossfire driver issues. So Id say it all comes down to whether you want to game now or later.
m
0
l
Related resources
March 8, 2010 11:15:53 AM

paperfox said:
Two 5870s will beat a 5970, but also be slightly more expensive, and will have better availability which would help balance things out.

Either way you will have to deal with crossfire driver issues. So Id say it all comes down to whether you want to game now or later.



if the monitors are all 1920x1080 will the image look stretched?

If i get two 5870's will their be any driver issues. I hear that with the 5970 frame rates are better with eyefinity.

m
0
l
March 8, 2010 11:27:40 AM

gamrWraith001 said:
if the monitors are all 1920x1080 will the image look stretched?

If i get two 5870's will their be any driver issues. I hear that with the 5970 frame rates are better with eyefinity.


you shouldn't have any driver issues. The image depends on the game (whether it natively supports the higher widescreen resolution) on if it's stretched or not. I dont' know if the 5970 frame rates are better at eyefinity, I'm running 3 5870s in Crossfire, in Eyefinity, and haven't had any problems.
m
0
l
a b C Monitor
March 8, 2010 7:59:34 PM

gamrWraith001 said:
if the monitors are all 1920x1080 will the image look stretched?

If i get two 5870's will their be any driver issues. I hear that with the 5970 frame rates are better with eyefinity.


If the game properly supports custom resolutions then no.
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 1:02:54 PM

In my experience Eyefinity+Crossfire does not work well. On a single 5970 it works well BUT you may need to turn down settings to get good frame rates. Heat/noise on a 5970 is acceptable IMO but you can create a fan profile if you want. ex @50% fan settings my card will idle @48C and peak at 85C under load. Also, you can place a couple of 120mm coolers facing the cards.

On fps games such as MW2, your screen will look stretched. There is a FOV fix on widescreengamingforums but it had no effect on my rig. Recent titles should support Eyefinity.

Good luck.

@microterf :

How did you get your Eyefinity running on TRIFIRE 5870s?
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 3:03:37 PM

@hunuok, Yes, I have it running with 3 5870s. I works fine. Have only used it on RAcing games (NFS shift) and Flight sims(FSX)
m
0
l
March 9, 2010 3:49:06 PM

microterf said:
@hunuok, Yes, I have it running with 3 5870s. I works fine. Have only used it on RAcing games (NFS shift) and Flight sims(FSX)


What am I doing wrong?lol I cant for the life of me get Eyefinity to work PROPERLY on dual 5970s. On a single 5970 YES but NEVER in quadfire. :cry: 
m
0
l
March 10, 2010 3:30:45 AM

What drivers are you running? I'm running 10.2. I do know that before, CRossfire and Eyefinity weren't supported, but they work now. That might be your issue.
m
0
l
March 10, 2010 3:45:33 AM

microterf said:
What drivers are you running? I'm running 10.2. I do know that before, CRossfire and Eyefinity weren't supported, but they work now. That might be your issue.


I have run bundled software, 9.12s (+hotfix), 10.1s (rubbish), 10.2 and 10.3 pre. 10.3 pre seems the best but a steady 5-10FPS across the board is hardly anything to write home about. Mind you, these were on LOW settings. Enabling AA/AF/Post processing would turn it into a slideshow.

PS Sorry to the OP for going off topic. ;) 
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 12:06:14 AM

hunuok said:
I have run bundled software, 9.12s (+hotfix), 10.1s (rubbish), 10.2 and 10.3 pre. 10.3 pre seems the best but a steady 5-10FPS across the board is hardly anything to write home about. Mind you, these were on LOW settings. Enabling AA/AF/Post processing would turn it into a slideshow.

PS Sorry to the OP for going off topic. ;) 


no problem at, what your talking about can actually end up helping me ;) 
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 1:55:06 AM

with the new drivers you still cant run eyefinity with 2 5970s?
BTW, where the hell did you guys get all these 5970s. can't find them anywhere.
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 4:04:10 AM

well on topic but slightly different, if you don't have the monitors yey, i would recommend getting ones that swivel 90 degrees so that you don't play in extreme wide screen mode like 5760x1080 but instead play with 3240x1920 (this is with 3 x 1920x1080)
m
0
l
March 11, 2010 5:28:37 AM

microterf said:
with the new drivers you still cant run eyefinity with 2 5970s?
BTW, where the hell did you guys get all these 5970s. can't find them anywhere.


Contrary to what ATI says, Eyefinity doesnt work with dual 5970s. I thought it was just my rig, but after googling, it seems widespread.

Living in Seoul, I know a distributor for PC components so he got me a couple.

@mindless, portrait mode seems like a good idea because it looks less stretched. Personally, I feel as though the bevels are wider in that configuration. Having the option to svswivel 90 degrees is a good option to have though.
m
0
l
March 15, 2010 7:19:34 PM

I am also having a problem with dual 5970's it seem that if i run without crossfire in bc2 i get about 88-99% gpu usage on the first 2 gpu's and about 70 fps on med settings but if i run quadfire i get 40-50% gpu usage across all 4 gpus and 10 fps on drivers 10.2 and pre10.3
m
0
l
April 7, 2010 9:33:20 PM

I have 2 5870s (1gb) on an i5 rig (now at 4.0Ghz). Single monitor crossfire performance is fantastic. CF+Eyefinity at 5760x1080 is hit or miss. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Fps is not the problem. Massively annoying microstutter is the killer and why i'm going back to a single card eyefinity until ATI come up with a fix for CF+EF. Also a huge number of people reporting similar mircostutter when crossfiring with eyefinity, many with high oc i7s, should really google around the subject before committing in my opinion. Looks like a single 5970 eyefinity works well though and probably only slightly less powerful than 2 5870s (which don't really work properly in CF anyway).
m
0
l
!