Avaya 4621 not getting an IP?

tdalton

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
Hello,
I have an Avaya 4621 that I brought home to test connecting back to a Cisco ASA. I'm getting an IKE phase 1 error so I put a capture on the ASA's outside interface looking for any traffic from my broadband/WAN IP and it's seeing nothing from the Avaya which is connected to the same broadband router that I am. I also tried to assign a static IP from the same network to the phone but I still can't ping it! I'm perplexed as to what to do from here and would appreciate any help. Thank!

notchris

Distinguished
May 25, 2009
do you have a Avaya VOIP PBX in place for it to connect if not I doubt the phone will work
Your PBX needs a static public IP so that the phone can look for it to connect with the PBX and boot.
If you have a switch between the VOIP PBX and your ISP you need to set up some form of port forwarding to assign the public IP to route to the PBX with a local IP I am not familiar with your Cisco Switch you'll probably need something like Teraterm to log into the cisco switch and change these settings

hope this helps

tdalton

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2010
It turned out to be a frustrating problem. My laptop was connected wirelessly to the same router that the phone had a wired connection to. Unbeknownst to me, the wired connection only had LAN connectivity and couldn't reach the internet. I defaulted the router back to factory and the phone is now hitting the ASA. Thanks for the reply and consider this case closed!