Is the 4890 better than the 5770?

Metroidman

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
I know someone who will give me an XFX 4890 for $140 and I'll get the lifetime warranty. I'm just wondering if that's a better deal than just getting a 5770 for $160

Personally i wouldn't pay that much for a second hand 4890 guarantee or not. You have the chance of driver improvements with the 5770 which is now not likley with the 4890, so it could end up quite a lot closer performance wise.
If it was me i wouldnt consider the 4890 untill you were talking $100.
So i would go the 5770 route if it was me

Mactronix

If your monitor is 1680x1050 or below either card will be great so go with the HD5770 for DX11 and greater power efficiency.
At 1920x1080+ it's a judgment call as to whether you would prefer the extra performance of the HD4890 or the extra features of the HD5770.

why get older tech and lose out on newer features, if you are talking a minor performance increase.

Funny, some people pay $300 for a 20% performance increase...

and with driver improvements, and more importantly, Dx11, performance may end up being BETTER with a 5770.

You don't get an extra 20% through driver improvements. And again, based on the hits the entire 5000 series (and especially the 5770 and below) takes in Dirt2/AvP DX11 mode, I don't think the 5000 series is powerful enough for DX11, so the only advantage the card has is debateable to say the least. [And again, if we had more DX11 games, we could come to a fair comparision of where the 5000 series stands in DX11 performance...)

This is the main reason i didn't get a new card when they released, people point to DX11 and Eyefinity lower power etc.
I have a set up that isn't struggling and i refuse to pay what i see as over the odds anyway for a piece of hardware that i would basically be gambling on as to if its new improved feature set would actually be any use to me in the near or slightly further off future.
On balance i have decided to wait for the 6 series personally.

Having said that i still would recommend the 5770 over the 4890 at those prices. There may be better deals out there. Depends on what Metroidman is actually after.

Mactronix

welshmousepk

Distinguished

yes, people pay for more power, thats not what hes asking. not many people would sacrifice new features for a minor performance increase.

and you can't point to a couple of games that had some DX11 features added at the last minute and call dx11 bad.

im sick of people saying stuff liike this when they know nothing on the subject.

DX11 has the potential to INCREASE performance. when we start seeing games with real implementations of dx11 (and even some built on it) the 5770 will not only look better, but perform better too. dx11 is not just a few visual enhancements like dx10, it offers new ways of handling rendering tasks to decrease workload while improving visual fidelity.

@op, its your call. but personally, i would go for the 5770 for the sake of a few frames. and with dx11 you will most likely end up with a better card.