Help with my memory!

Arkyance

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010
Alright, so I have an old computer (Compaq Presario SR2170NX) and it was getting slow for playing games. I bought some ram to put into it. The old ram was Double Sided (DS from now on) and the new was Single Sided (SS from now on).

I installed the ram properly multiple times, in all the different configs (2 slots for ram, 6 different installations, including single card, to see if it was defective). Both cards worked properly on their own, but in my Bios, it only detected 1 stick of RAM. I used DXdiag, it said 1GB of ram, But the total page file added up to 2GB.

I took some screen shots, edited them for your convenience and will describe each one.

DXdiag telling it like it is.

Lolwut?

I think this is my SS.

DS?
Anyways, what's the problem?

Rondeil

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
I see you're using DDR 333Mhz. Have you tried setting the dram frequency clock in bios to 333MHz, cause for some reason it is 266 when you install a new card. Try to match any other frequencies of the ram you can find in the bios.

What kind of ram are you using anyways?
Are both the cards manufactured by the same company?

Other thing that might be wrong is faulty Dimm slot. Try switching the cards if you have more than two slots, or try some other combinations...

Replay when you try to do all this.

I hope i helped.

Arkyance

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2010

What??? I'm using DDR2 at ~556 MHZ. I only have 2 slots. The Dimm slot is working, as far as I know. The cards are Kingston and Crucial. I'll see if any of your ideas work however.