AMD Phenom II + AMD 5870

spoe71

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I am in the market for a new PC because, for once, I want to enjoy a bit of eye-candy in some of my favorite games. I am by no means a hard-core gamer; my tastes range mostly for story-based RPG type games, such as Dragon Age Origins and the upcoming Dragon Age II, which I intend to buy the day it releases, and Mass Effect 2 (which I do not own because my current system is just not strong enough). I also plan to move to Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO once it launches and I'm considering EVE Online as well. I don't think I've ever owned a first-person shooter or other games of that ilk. I want a system that will allow me to enjoy such games at near the optimum graphics levels.

There are several options for CPU + Graphics Card options on the system I am looking at. I wanted to get your opinions on which might handle the system demands of higher graphics settings.

AMD Phenom II X6 1090T + ATI Radeon HD 5870 1GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T + ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB
AMD Phenom II X6 1075T + ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

The third option is the least expensive by a substantial margin, but I do not know if there is enough of a difference between the 1090T CPU option and the 1075T option, nor do I know if there is a substantial difference between the HD 5870 and HD 5770. Thank you in advance for any input you can share. I'm very illiterate when it comes to modern computer components and systems.

well the 5870 is alot faster than the 5770, and theres not a huge difference in price between the 1090t and the 1075t, id go with the 1090t which isnt more than 20$ more than the 1075t

and with 6cores ull do great, gaming will be a synch with great graphics enabled, and the processor wont be bottlekneck by this videocard either

first off i need to know whats ur current powersupply to know if u system can power such an upgrade thanks

spoe71

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
What might the difference be between the AMD I mentioned and the Intel i7 CPU? I ask because, after browsing a bit more, it seems a better option financially is to go with the i7 930 (8MB L2 Cache, 2.80GHz) and the HD 5870, and that has 8GB of RAM standard instead of 6, which saves a bit more money as I planned to upgrade to 8 anyway.

spoe71

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I'm sorry I wasn't so clear with the questions; I am an infant when it comes to computers and the lingo associated with them. I treat your advice like gold when I make decisions based on them. Thanks for the time in all of this. I certainly appreciate it.