Sign in with
Your question

Need Help w/ radiator placement

Last response: in Overclocking
February 1, 2013 1:09:50 PM

I just got a COOLER MASTER Seidon 120M and I am trying to figure out where to put it. The youtube CM video stated to put the radiator as intake from the back. I have a http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... case and it has the best ventilation of any case I have ever seen.

I am wondering a couple of things w/ the good ventilation of this system could I put the radiator as exhaust as this case has very good air flow?

Also has anyone tried putting the radiator to intake in the front of the case from the 5.25 bays? It is a 4u case.

More about : radiator placement

a c 190 K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 3:25:39 PM

Why didn't you ask a question before buying that cooler? :p 
oh well, not to worry now I guess,
Yes you can put the rad at the rear exhausting, I'd also recommend another fan on there in pushpull configuration to maximise what limited cooling potential you have
Moto
m
l
February 1, 2013 3:35:33 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Why didn't you ask a question before buying that cooler? :p 
oh well, not to worry now I guess,
Yes you can put the rad at the rear exhausting, I'd also recommend another fan on there in pushpull configuration to maximise what limited cooling potential you have
Moto

$50 after rebate for a limited time for a cooler that got decent reviews. Granted a different one was $35 after rebate the next day >< Though the one I got is a little better.

I do have an extra 120mm fan laying around. 2000max rpm vs the 2200-pwm speed of the other fan.

I guess if I test my case temp and compare it to the room temp, I can see how much cooler my cpu will benefit from intake. Since my case has really good air flow I am hoping there wont be that much of a difference.

Though I am still wondering if anyone has used 3x 5.25 bays to mount the radiator as I am thinking that might be the best setup. My bay covers have screens in them to allow for airflow and limit dust.
m
l
Related resources
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 3:39:20 PM

Its still an allinone though :p 
I'd say you will grab two or three degrees off your temps with pushpull
yes. plenty of folks have mounted rads in the drivebay position, or on the floor (although your tubing may not reach for that)
but you are right to feel the experimentation bug biting, for all my knowledge and experience, your room is unique and what suits most may not suit your particular set up, so its always good to experiment and record results, that way you find the best set up for you,
its nice to see you have an inquisitive and open attitude to things :) 
Moto
m
l
February 1, 2013 4:04:02 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Its still an allinone though :p 
I'd say you will grab two or three degrees off your temps with pushpull
yes. plenty of folks have mounted rads in the drivebay position, or on the floor (although your tubing may not reach for that)
but you are right to feel the experimentation bug biting, for all my knowledge and experience, your room is unique and what suits most may not suit your particular set up, so its always good to experiment and record results, that way you find the best set up for you,
its nice to see you have an inquisitive and open attitude to things :) 
Moto

I did a bit of research before buying what I did, was looking at regular HSF coolers and the stock is good enough for what I need. Though after reading some stuff and talking to some gamers I got the geek bug that goes for overkill vs logic. I didn't care for the enormous heat sinks that take up the little area I have to see in my case. It seemed like the liquid cooling helps a lot more when you start to get into higher over clocking speeds. Granted i am a little fearful of liquid for a couple of reasons: leaks and pump failure. I even hear these closed loops might evaporation issues after a couple years of use. A custom loop might be years down the road, duno want to see how this one goes. Though even though I have the bug, I try to buy the most for my money as I have plenty of other more costly hobbies (boating and scuba).

I think I will see if the radatior can fit. Granted i will have to drop the CDROM to the lowest or remove it all together and put it in an enclosure. The case is a 4u though the one of the bays is taken up by the cases power/usb/headphone slot.

I guess one thing I worry about having intake setup behind the machine that it will make the case less efficient at moving air. As well as the heat that will rise from the PSU exhaust and that is sucked into the radiator intake.

Before I mount it to the back I will get two thermometers and see how the two temps vary. If they are close by only a couple F I might just mount it in exhaust.

Thank you for your input! I try to find out what the right thing is and go with it, instead or arguing a point.

Solarity
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 4:07:38 PM

Theres no reason to fear liquid, tubing rarely splits under normal working conmditions and pump failure would show itself by your pc shutting down to protect itself so no damage is suffered,
You will find what works best and I wish you all the best of luck in it, but we are here for any advice you need :) 
**Edit, and in W/c there is no such thing as overkill, just rads and pumps we didn't have in the loop before :) 
Moto
m
l
February 1, 2013 8:26:04 PM

I am at home and looking at it, in order to mount it into my bay I will have to remove my Blue Ray drive and put that in an external housing. Then I will need to figure out a way to mount the radiator to the bay. I did a test w/ an electronic meat probe and according to the probe it says room temp at tower level is 70*F (~1-2*F), I poke the probe into the the air vent near the rear fan and I am getting about 1.5*F (~1-2*F) over ambient room temperature. Granted I have been running prime95 for only about 45 minutes, my hottest core maxed out at 150*F. The 3750k is running at 3.6Ghz in turbo mode. I am going to run it for a bit longer to see if the temperature is going to rise much into the case right now I am looking at ~1*c Delta T.

Note a good portion of that heat might be coming from the CPU, I think the temperature will be even less as I won't have the heat generated by the heat sink.

I am also assuming that this meat probe is working properly
m
l
February 2, 2013 1:26:09 AM

Did another test the air in front of the rear exhaust fan is .72*c Delta T. I also think some of this heat might be contributed from the CPU. This after running prime95 for hours also my hottest core got to 69*c w/ stock cooler. I am curious to run the same test to see what my bench marks will look like w/ the new cooler.

So with the very good air flow of my Rosewill Challanger case I think I will set the fans to exaust out. In some test the where they changed the fans to intake it increased the temp of ever other component in the case, including the GPU.

Also as exhaust I won't have to worry about dust or adding a filter in front of the fans, which would reduce the air flow.

As the tubes aren't as flexable as other coolers and I would have to remove my blue ray drive and get additional hardware to mount it to the 5.25 bay, I am going to run it as exhaust. Thank you science!!!
m
l
a c 190 K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 5:11:47 AM

Hehe, for science....
Moto
m
l
February 2, 2013 8:11:33 PM

I have prime95 running w/ my new cooler in place with another 120mm to push air while the other one sucks. I did notice since the pull has PWM it does slow down and I do feel a back draft when the pull fan isn't operating at the fastest speed. When I started prime95 the pull fan increased it speed and I no longer feel the back draft. I have been running prime95 for 10 minutes and the CPU is more than 20*c cooler than stock fan.
m
l
!