Sign in with
Your question

Temp difference using Noctua NF-F12 on Hyper 212 Evo?

Last response: in Overclocking
February 1, 2013 2:20:03 PM

Hi all,

I'm putting together a (hopefully) silent gaming rig and I've ordered the Hyper 212 Evo, mostly for the cost/benefit of the heating.

I may do some overclocking, but it I do I'd still like to keep the sound to a minimum.

My understanding is that a lot of people have swapped out the stock fan that comes with the Evo for a Noctua NF-F12. I am thinking of doing this myself. I realize that by the time I pay for that fan I'm close to paying for the DH-14, but I've already ordered the Evo and that's what I'm going with for now.

I know that the NF-F12 is quieter than the stock fan at higher RPM's, but that the stock fan is likely whisper quiet at lower RPM's. I'm making this purchase in the hopes of getting as quiet a solution as I can when under load, overclocked, and using an Evo heatsink.

So, the question is, are there any temperature disadvantages to swapping out the stock fan on the Evo for the Noctua. I know a ton of people have done this, but for the life of me I can't find any comparison between the temperatures of these two options (stock fan vs. NF-F12). I find lots of graphs and data about the noise difference, and lots of information about doing it on an H80 or H100, but nothing for the Evo (or even the 212+).

Can anyone who's done this confirm whether the NF-F12 will keep the CPU as cool as the stock fan on the Evo (or cooler), and if not, what kind of temperature differences I might expect? If the NF-F12 is noticeably warmer overclocked and under load, I'll likely stick with the stock fan (CPU life > silence).

Thanks!

a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 3:19:27 PM

I have these very fans on my main rig along with my 212 EVO. I use them in a push/pull fashion and they are VERY quiet, even under a heavy load.

When I first installed, I used only one and noticed quite a difference from the original CM fan in terms of noise reduction while temps stayed as good as, or better than with the original fan.

From my experience, the NF-F12 fans have been excellent.
m
l
February 1, 2013 4:11:59 PM

Awesome, thanks very much for the informative response. Out of curiosity, how much did your temps drop when you moved to a push/pull configuration? I'm going to have a Corsair AF140 Quiet Edition right near the heatsink at the back of my Fractal R4, so I'm not sure I'll need a "pull" fan, but I'm wondering what sort of benefits you got from adding a second fan?
m
l
Related resources
a b K Overclocking
February 1, 2013 4:14:19 PM

Idle temps only dropped a couple of degrees. Under load, temps nearly 10 degrees C. I never top 60C now, even when pounding on my system.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 2:33:06 PM

Monkey With a Mouse said:
Pickup a Noctua NH-D14.....................

That is an awesome HSF.
m
l
February 2, 2013 10:02:42 PM

I'm running it [Noctua NH-D14] right now on my Asrock Extreme 4,it's worth every penny.It's huge!!!!!!!!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
February 2, 2013 10:35:18 PM

I am leaning towards getting one for my next build later in the year. Their performance is simply superb.
m
l
February 2, 2013 10:42:58 PM

I have the similar Phanteks-TC14PE in my AMD rig.........both great coolers,,,,,,,,
m
l
!