Sign in with
Your question

Cutting out

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2010 7:39:23 AM

Hello,
I have just built a i7 920/Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7/Corsair Dominator DDR3 3x 2Gb sticks/Zalman 750 Heatpipe PSU. I have tried a 256Gb Corsair SSD and a SATA hard drive.
Every time I try and install Windows 7 I get so far and then the computer just cuts out (usually reboots) I have plenty of cooling and the processor is running around 45degrees with stock cooler ( I am going to watercool as soon as stable). Any ideas welcome.

More about : cutting

March 23, 2010 7:44:35 AM

jerryc_57 said:
Hello,
I have just built a i7 920/Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7/Corsair Dominator DDR3 3x 2Gb sticks/Zalman 750 Heatpipe PSU. I have tried a 256Gb Corsair SSD and a SATA hard drive.
Every time I try and install Windows 7 I get so far and then the computer just cuts out (usually reboots) I have plenty of cooling and the processor is running around 45degrees with stock cooler ( I am going to watercool as soon as stable). Any ideas welcome.

Do you have any beep codes going on?

You might want to try to take off power cable and side panel and then find battery on motherboard and remove that as well.

Once you have that done hold down the power button for 30 seconds and then put it all back together.

Now you have it all back together turn it on don't go into the BIOS just put the Windows 7 disc in and boot from DVD. I hope this helps you!

(If it hasn't please tell us if your computer is posting or if there are any beep codes.)
March 23, 2010 7:57:08 AM

The speaker just does a single beep on boot and all the self testing leds go out. It seems to run fine for a while and then just cuts out. I have tried resetting the CMOS.
Related resources
March 23, 2010 8:02:55 AM

jerryc_57 said:
The speaker just does a single beep on boot and all the self testing leds go out. It seems to run fine for a while and then just cuts out. I have tried resetting the CMOS.

I want you to check this out:

http://www.computerhope.com/beep.htm

I mean this might help I hope. I'm going to look into this a little more though.
March 23, 2010 8:06:37 AM

Thanks.
I have had plenty of experience in building machines but this is my first i7 setup and this new Gigabyte motherboard is very nice but rather complex as it has an awfull lot of lights and displays. It's like turning on a christmas tree to start with.
March 23, 2010 8:11:45 AM

I checked out computerhope and it agrees that the single bios beep is OK on Award.
March 23, 2010 8:18:57 AM

jerryc_57 said:
Thanks.
I have had plenty of experience in building machines but this is my first i7 setup and this new Gigabyte motherboard is very nice but rather complex as it has an awfull lot of lights and displays. It's like turning on a christmas tree to start with.

I looked up your motherboard and your CPU support list:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/CPUSuppo...

Your CPU is on there, but I don't understand whats going on.

Is your 24-pin connected all the way?

Is your PSU giving the hardware enough power to use?

March 23, 2010 8:27:40 AM

Yes, the power should be plenty for the hardware installed. Checked the connections - no problem.
I think that I will have to re-wire it all and then check the ram one stick at a time and see if I can narrow it down. It is always a problem when these things just happen suddenly for no apparent reason. It boots fine and then starts installling Windows from the CD, in fact usually goes almost all the way then just seems to give up.
Anyway check back later and I will let you know how things went.
Thanks
March 23, 2010 8:37:24 AM

I have the same problem but in an AMD board. I traced it to the HD settings in BIOS ( under integrated peripherals ) being in AHCI. Set it to IDE or SATA. Hope this helps...
March 23, 2010 8:44:05 AM

Thanks for the input. I have just downloaded the latest bios update so I will try that. I checked the HD settings and they all seemed ok.
March 23, 2010 5:47:33 PM

Jerryc what is your HD setting in your BIOS say? Is it currently AHCI? If it is please set i t to IDE or SATA like what randomkid said.
March 23, 2010 6:02:17 PM

Hi
Tried that, no change. Updated BIOS to latest version F6 with no help. Then I tried some different Corsair 1333 DDR3 modules but still same probs. It just shuts down instantly and then re-boots and shows 8.8. on the digital display and lights up like a christmas tree! Very pretty but not very useful!
March 23, 2010 6:15:32 PM

Alright.

What kind of video card are you using? If so how many?
March 23, 2010 6:46:06 PM

Sapphire 4890 2Gb just the one. That came from my old system where it worked fine.
March 23, 2010 8:18:42 PM

Another thing you could try to do is download the windows 7 ISO image from microsoft and burn it at the slowest DVD rate your DVD burner can do. Your Windows 7 DVD may possibly be damaged and a new DVD may fix the problem.

Edit: I'm not sure how your RAM modules work (does it have to be in 3's?) but if you could possibly just put in 1 stick for now and try that out. Possibly even try each stick by themselves to see if that clears anything up. I've had installations before that for some strange reason didn't want multiple sticks of RAM in the computer and would only install with 1 stick. Adding the others didn't seem to screw it up after installing the OS.
March 24, 2010 9:40:00 AM

Hi back again
I have tried a couple of different(originals) Win7 discs 32 and 64 bit with same problem. AS far as the ram goes I've tried just one stick at a time and swapping them over to make sure there wasn't a faulty stick. However I have been running Memtest86, the latest version, for a couple of hours now and it seems very stable, no errors! Maybe it just has someting against Micro$oft!!
March 24, 2010 11:43:21 AM

Really strange... can you still return it and get replaced with another one of the same model or perhaps another brand altogether?
March 24, 2010 12:05:17 PM

Yes, I guess so but it has all the features I was looking for. I always used to buy Asus but after the problems I had with the P5Q3 Deluxe Wi-Fi@n edition motherboard I thought I would try a different company. Gigabyte has always had a good reputation and this board received good reviews even though its a bit pricey. I will continue trying to sort it for now(I have contacted Gigabytes and Corsair's technical services) but if no luck I guess I will RMA the board. The memory seems to be fine.
Thanks for your help I will keep you posted of my progress.
March 24, 2010 3:20:43 PM

Sorry, but I couldn't find anymore information about this problem and I even called some shops in Boise to try and help you all they told me is hardware failure through either:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7
or
Zalman 750 Heatpipe PSU

I hope this helps, but I'm going to be off this thread now and if I do hear anything new about this problem I will post back here until then I really hope you can figure this out please tell up if you do find a solution and what that solution required in case someone else on TomsHardware has this problem thank you jerryc_57.
March 24, 2010 3:42:19 PM

Thanks for your help, it's looking like a RMA soon on the board.
March 24, 2010 3:45:25 PM

K well best of luck and I hope the new board you get will not be a DOA. If you need help finding a board you can create a new thread and just ask some of the good people on tomshardware what they think of a new board for you or you can always just get the same board you started with, I think you just got un-lucky.
March 25, 2010 9:05:36 AM

I have been looking on some other forums and there seems to be a problem sometimes with PSUs that although work fine are incompatible with certain motherboard settups. I have ordered a new Corsair HX 850w which is 80+ certified Silver and I'll see if that does the trick.
March 25, 2010 2:49:03 PM

jerryc_57 said:
I have been looking on some other forums and there seems to be a problem sometimes with PSUs that although work fine are incompatible with certain motherboard settups. I have ordered a new Corsair HX 850w which is 80+ certified Silver and I'll see if that does the trick.

I'm not sure if I've ever heard of the PSU not being right for the motherboard unless the hardwares just not getting the right amount of power at an even flow or that the motherboard is 24-pin and you just have a 20-pin. hu..
March 25, 2010 4:33:31 PM

No, it was a new one to me too, but when you're in a tight spot you tend to grasp at straws! The Zalman PSU I am presently using is a good one 750W and rated 80+ certified. I re-built the entire computer today, just to check but everything is still working(or rather not working) the same. I will try the new psu tomorrow but if that fails I will arrange to RMA the motherboard I think.
March 25, 2010 4:36:57 PM

jerryc_57 said:
No, it was a new one to me too, but when you're in a tight spot you tend to grasp at straws! The Zalman PSU I am presently using is a good one 750W and rated 80+ certified. I re-built the entire computer today, just to check but everything is still working(or rather not working) the same. I will try the new psu tomorrow but if that fails I will arrange to RMA the motherboard I think.

AH..

Okay I see what your saying now. I'm sorry your problem seems like it could be a rare one.
March 26, 2010 12:38:47 AM

jerryc_57 said:

I hope it gets sorted out soon. I know how it can be stressing to have something not working for so long...
March 26, 2010 6:39:53 AM

Thanks, I'll let you know later how I get on.
March 26, 2010 3:04:58 PM

Solved!

Well it didn't seem to make a lot of sense but I thought that I would try another PSU even though my original one was a good make(Zalman 750w) and only a few months old so I bought a Corsair HX850w. It is avery nice piece of kit and carries a 7 year warranty! Anyway it did the trick and my machine seems rock solid now. So just goes to show even when we think we know it all there is still space to learn.
Thanks for the help.
jerryc :¬) Dark Mantis
March 26, 2010 7:54:26 PM

Sweet its solved and this thread helped me learn a few things! Thanks everyone in this thread.
March 26, 2010 8:31:33 PM

The only logical reason I can see is that the Zalman's output is four 20amp lines whereas the Corsairs is one 70amp line. Maybe the Zalman's 20amp line was just a bit low at times.
!