New ssd set up in ahci and storage question?

jijoslin

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
I just got my new mushkin chronos 120gb set up for my os and apps drive, and I want to install origin and steam on my 1 terabyte storage drive which is listed as new volume E, how do I do this do the actual origin and steam install files need to be on the E drive or the ssd C drive?

Solution
As it happens, I have the exact same SSD and had the exact same problem. Luckily, there's a crazy easy solution. Just use Steam Mover. It lets you painlessly move your Steam games between drives and creates symbolic links so the games which aren't on your SSD still work through Steam as if they were. I use it to keep my two most played games on my SSD, and the rest stay in storage until I want to play them.

If you've got a good storage drive (7200 RPM, not badly fragmented) most games can be moved in just a minute or two. It's an absolute must have for anyone with Steam and an SSD.

psaus

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2006
I don't use origin, but for Steam the only thing I could figure out was that I had to actually install Steam where I wanted the games to load (e.g., install Steam directly on E).
I scoured the net to try to figure out how to move them, but I couldn't find anything. I'll keep a look out here if someone comes up with a better suggestion. :)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
As it happens, I have the exact same SSD and had the exact same problem. Luckily, there's a crazy easy solution. Just use Steam Mover. It lets you painlessly move your Steam games between drives and creates symbolic links so the games which aren't on your SSD still work through Steam as if they were. I use it to keep my two most played games on my SSD, and the rest stay in storage until I want to play them.

If you've got a good storage drive (7200 RPM, not badly fragmented) most games can be moved in just a minute or two. It's an absolute must have for anyone with Steam and an SSD.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS