slipdisc01

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
would damage be caused to a pcie graphics card that has a pcie power source attached but not placed in a computer system. What I am saying is if I attach power to it on a bench and poer it up would that cause damage to the card

welshmousepk

Distinguished
its a bad idea, even if it won;t damage the card.

it shouldn't damage it, but its wont be getting the full power anyway. some of the power the card gets comes from the PCIe slot. so at the least you likely here the alarm whining for lack of power.

why did you need to do this anyway? i wouldn't recommend it. since it won't solve anything.

slipdisc01

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
Bought new and unused off ebay. Tried in my system but turned out faulty. Got intouch with seller who now says it was tested to boot before dispatch and was ok. I replied that it must of been in his system then but he replied that it was just powered up outside of his system so he blames me for faulty installation. Powering it outside a system does not prove that the graphics worked. Even so its not new and unused then. Registered with XFX and they say I have to return it to point of sales but the seller refuses to furnish any reciepts. E-bay dispute here I come LOL

welshmousepk

Distinguished
yeah, thats not a test.

he's sold you a dud card. the fan spinning doesn't say anything about the card. the card needs to be in the PCIe slot to get all its power anyway, and you can;t claim it works unless its capable of displaying.