Sign in with
Your question

I7 930 temps seem off

Last response: in CPUs
June 2, 2010 5:13:25 AM

I recently built an i7 system while reusing my old Antec 900 case. I have an i7 930 with the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ HSF, and the temperatures seem a little high to me. Coretemp and RealTemp are telling me my processor idles at around 41c (Stock), and under the most intense game I use it gets up to about 52c. My case is kind of packed full of cables and doesn't seem to be getting amazing airflow (The cable management isn't great). I was curious if this might be an error in my thermal paste application (If I do redo it I'll end up using AS5), or if the temps are caused because my lack of airflow. I have been considering upgrading to the CM HAF 932 because of the cable management and full-tower size. If you don't think the higher temps are caused by my thermal paste application, do you think the 932 would help keep the system cooler by a significant amount? Thanks in advance guys.

Specs:

i7 930 (Stock settings)
Cooler Master Hyper 212+
EVGA x58 SLI LE
Sapphire HD5850 (OC 775/1125)
Corsair 850TX PSU
Antec 900 Mid-tower case
Western Digital 1TB HD (Black)

More about : 930 temps

a b à CPUs
June 2, 2010 8:16:22 AM

AFAIK the Antec 900 has pretty good airflow. How much thermal paste did you use? Those temperatures aren't bad, they're ok, but still it seems a bit high for the CM Hyper 212+.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 2, 2010 9:23:24 AM

^+1

52c is plenty fine. Some people would consider you lucky. ;) 
m
l
June 2, 2010 12:38:25 PM

I used enough to have a really thin layer over the CPU. It ended up being a little more than a pea sized glob because I was scared when I spread it all out and still saw some of the processor revealed. I was wondering if I switched to AS5 if it would make much of a difference? I used the stock paste that comes with the Hyper 212
m
l
!