Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Another "no video on power up"...

Last response: in Systems
March 23, 2010 10:55:26 AM

I know you guys get a newbie asking the same questions every day. Maybe someone could answer a question or two for me?

Alright, I just built me a new system, and everything seems to be alright...except i have no video output. At least as far as i know. I am spent all of my money on the main system components, and was going to use my old CRT monitor until i got some extra cash to purchase a good LCD It's not working. I am using MSI's X58 PRO-E motherboard, and Diamond ATI 5970. Also using a DVI to VGA adapter. Monitor knows it is plugged into something, but just stays in standby mode until i unplug it from the Computer.

Also, my video card gets extremely hot, almost enough to burn my hands. Is this normal? And will stock cooler and case fans be enough to keep it cool?

And yes, I plugged in the 8 pin power cable for the cpu and the two plugs for the video card (1x8 + 1x6)

I get power, and system post beep. Fans work, cpu has 5 leds that the manual says it is in 5 phase power (whatever that is).
PCI Express LED is on. Motherboard system LED is on. Its blue, not yellow or red. Have tried resetting cmos using the button and by taking out the battery.

I just want to know if i have to do something to make it work analog. Also, could i just hook it up to my hdmi tv? Would that get around the analog/digital problem? (if there is one)

System:

More about : video power

March 23, 2010 1:04:47 PM

High-end ATI video cards can get hot on start-up. Usually because the fans make so much noise, they're set to really low speeds at the clock settings used during boot.

Have you tried connecting the CRT you mentioned instead of this LCD? If you get display with the CRT, then the LCD may be defective.
m
l
March 23, 2010 1:17:55 PM

same thing happened to mine until i noticed..... my motherboard was not plugged in.everyting else was tho
m
l
Related resources
March 23, 2010 3:17:59 PM

Well, you've done a few troubleshooting steps, but I don't see any mention of trying each stick of RAM by itself or a few other basic troubleshooting steps. The READ before posting about boot/no video problems! sticky was created to give you a way to systemically troubleshoot this type of problem. Please perform EVERY step in the checklist and let us know how it goes.
m
l
March 23, 2010 4:12:55 PM

RazberyBandit said:
High-end ATI video cards can get hot on start-up. Usually because the fans make so much noise, they're set to really low speeds at the clock settings used during boot.

Have you tried connecting the CRT you mentioned instead of this LCD? If you get display with the CRT, then the LCD may be defective.

I am trying to use the CRT. nothing. I dont have an lcd yet. I do have a TV... I'll try that after i get off work today
m
l
March 23, 2010 4:17:49 PM

shortstuff_mt said:
Well, you've done a few troubleshooting steps, but I don't see any mention of trying each stick of RAM by itself or a few other basic troubleshooting steps. The READ before posting about boot/no video problems! sticky was created to give you a way to systemically troubleshoot this type of problem. Please perform EVERY step in the checklist and let us know how it goes.

I've done everything in the troubleshooting steps except reapply thermal paste. I have only one stick in right now, and have tried each slot. When i put it in the wrong slot, computer will reboot continuously. So, its not a ram issue. I'm getting post beep.
m
l

Best solution

March 23, 2010 6:16:58 PM

Have you another video card to put in there? If not, you can attempt connection to the TV, but I am beginning to doubt that would help.

You could always try installing the video card in a different PCIe x16 slot. Normally the top one works just fine, and is often the one recommended to be used in a single-card GPU solution.
March 24, 2010 9:15:57 PM

Ok, just for anyone that was curious. It WAS the analog CRT. Got it to show up on my TV. Thanks everyone for their help. On a side note...

My cpu heatsink is right next to the top case fan, which is intake. I moved the heatsink fan to the south side, because it pulls air through the heatsink. This air will be blowing on my Graphics card, which is already hot. Will that cause heat problems?
m
l
March 24, 2010 10:09:31 PM

I would have just flipped the top fan so it was exhaust instead of intake. Hot air rises, so pulling hot air out the top only makes sense. Intake fans should be as low as possible to bring in the coolest air they can.
m
l
March 25, 2010 7:41:41 PM

Best answer selected by ferretllama.
m
l
!