Will my computer be able to play this video card?

kidmoney

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
Will this video card work on my pc.
http://www.amazon.com/Gigabyte-Radeon-HD4850-PCI-Express-GV-R485MC-1GI/dp/B001TDL394/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1275456512&sr=1-3

Is my pc capable of having Feature 1GB video memory for lush images?
Is it capable of having technology which automatically speeds up your processor when your PC needs extra performance.
Will I be able to add 1gb of memory ram to make it faster.
If I play a lot of video games, will it over heat.
My computer is listed below.

Introduction date
09-Dec-2009
Country/region sold in:

* United States
* Canada

Bundle information
The p6367c-b desktop PC bundle (part number VT508AA) includes:

p6367c Desktop PC,

2509m 25" LCD monitor with integrated speakers

Hardware
Base processor
Core 2 Quad Q8300 (Y) 2.5 GHz (95W)

* 1333 MHz front side bus
* Socket AM3

Chipset
Intel G43 Express
Motherboard

* Manufacturer: Pegatron
* Motherboard Name: IPIEL-LA3
* HP/Compaq motherboard name: Eureka3-GL8

Power supply

* 300W

Memory
Component Attributes
Memory Installed 8 GB
Maximum allowed 8 GB (4 x 2 GB) (64-bit OS)

4 GB* (4 x 1 GB) (32-bit OS)

*Actual available memory may be less
Speed supported PC3-10600 MB/sec (message as PC3-8500)
Type 240 pin, DDR3
Hard drive

* 1 TB SATA 3G (3.0 Gb/sec)
* 5400 rpm

SuperMulti DVD Burner with LightScribe Technology drive

Interface: SATA Data buffer memory: 2 MB minimum LightScribe: yes Disc diameter: 120 mm Write and read speeds for supported formats and disc types are shown in this table:

Formats/Disc types Write speeds Read speeds Storage capacity
DVD
DVD-ROM SL NA up to 16x up to 4.7 GB
DVD-ROM DL NA up to 8X up to 8.5 GB
DVD+R SL up to 16x up to 12X up to 4.7 GB
DVD+R DL up to 12x up to 8x up to 8.5 GB
DVD+RW SL up to 8x up to 8x up to 4.7 GB
DVD+RW DL not supported
DVD-R SL up to 16x up to 12x up to 4.7 GB
DVD-R DL up to 12x up to 8x up to 8.5 GB
DVD-RW SL up to 6x up to 8x up to 4.7 GB
DVD-RW DL not supported
DVD-RAM up to 12x up to 12x 4.7 GB
CD
CDROM NA up to 40X up to 700 MB
CDR up to 40X up to 40X up to 700 MB
CDRW up to 32X up to 32X up to 700 MB
CD-DA NA up to 32X up to 700 MB
Video CD NA up to 16X up to 700 MB
Video Graphics
Integrated on motherboard (see motherboard and chipset)
Sound/Audio
High Definition 8-channel audio

ALC 888S chipset

Network (LAN)
Integrated 10/100/1000 Base-T networking interface
Memory card reader

Supports the following cards:
Compact Flash ICompact Flash IIIBM MicrodriveSecure Digital (SD)mini-SDMultiMediaCard (MMC)Reduced size MultiMediaCard (RS-MMC)MultiMediaCard Plus (MMC plus)MultiMediaCard Mobile (MMC mobile)Memory StickMemory Stick ProMemory Stick DuoMemory Stick Pro DuoSmartMediaxD Picture Card (xD = extreme digital)

External I/O ports
I/O ports on the front panel
Port type Quantity
15-in-1 (4 slot) One
USB Two
Headphone One
Microphone One
I/O ports on the back panel
Port type Quantity
S/PDIF out (coaxial) One
VGA One
DVI-D One
USB Four
LAN One
Audio (side speaker out, rear speaker out, center/subwoofer-out , line-in, line-out, microphone) One Each
Expansion slots
Slot type Quantity
PCI Express x16 One (One available)
PCI Express x1 Three (Three available)
Drive bays
Bay type Quantity
5.25" Two (One available)
3.5" Three (Two available)
Keyboard and mouse

* HP USB keyboard
* Quebec Keyboard Kit (French Canada only)
* HP USB optical mouse

Software
NOTE: HP provides basic support for software that comes with the computer. For in-depth feature assistance, refer to the help section in the software or on the software vendor's Web site.
Software titles that shipped with PCSoftware Category Software Title
Operating System

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

CD/CD-RW/DVD/DVD+RW

MediaSmart DVDWindows DVD Maker CyberLink DVD Suite 6

Entertainment, Music & Games

HP Games HP MediaSmart Software Suite

Productivity

Microsoft Works 9Microsoft Office Home and Student Edition 2007 TrialWindows Live Essentials

Security

Norton Internet Security 2010 (60-day security update subscription)Norton Online Backup (30-day trial)

Support

HP Advisor HP Hardware Diagnostic ToolsHP Help & Support CenterHP Support Assistant

Recovery

HP Recovery Manager

Internet Solutions

Microsoft Internet ExplorerISP offers

HP Partner offers (may vary)

Snapfish PictureMover (US only)

Ok, I usually ask people for more information ...:D

Well, your power supply is not going to cut it I'm afraid. I would recommend at least 400-500 watts for the HD 4850.
Also, the price for the card is not that great. You should be able to find something cheaper on this page:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010380048%20106792627%201067940677&name=Radeon%20HD%204850

There is even a passively cooled HD4850 for $129 on there.
No, you wouldn't be able to add more video memory later. If you wanted more video memory, you would have to choose a card that comes with more memory already installed.

I am a little confused about your system memory, I see you have listed the PC has 8 gigs of ram, then the next thing says 4 gigs. Either way, you won't be able to use more than 3.25 GB of ram with a 32 bit operating system. If you want more ram, consider upgrading to a 64bit OS.

I don't believe the Q8200 is capable of boosting its speed automatically. Some of the newer Intel CPU's have turbo, but they require a newer motherboard.

As for overheating, I would not get a passively cooled video card. I would grab a card with a good fan, preferably one that is dual slot and will vent out the back of your case.

A Quick Google reveals your mobo has a Pcie socket so Yes you can fit the card,
but I'd look at upgrading the psu if you are getting a better, more power hungry gfx card in there.

And I noticed it says Socket Am3? not with an Intel chip in it.....

Yes, your graphics card will heat up as it works hard to give you your lush graphics, The heatsink and or fan on it should deal with that though, its what they are there for.
You dont generally add ram to gfx cards, if you want a 2Gb card, you buy a 2Gb card and you have plenty of system ram there for any game.
And your pc will speed up the processor or slow it according to demands to its maximum rated speed, which, looking at your post is a dualcore chip with 2 processors running at a max of 2.5GHz.

Hope this helps you some.
All else I can advise is read up on here for your mobo and proc, learn what you have in that box under your desk :)
Moto
Moto

youssef 2010

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
yes you'll be able to use this card but, its overpriced at amazon, Newegg sells it cheaper

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125258&cm_re=4850-_-14-125-258-_-Product

Wherever you buy from,please ensure that your case has good airflow & that no cables are touching the heat sink as one user melted one of his cables that way

But if you care about Directx 11 or Eyefinity, These card is in the same performance & price league while also being more futureproof (same model,different manufacturer)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125328&cm_re=5750-_-14-125-328-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814131300&cm_re=5750-_-14-131-300-_-Product

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
I guess this is where you got the info

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01961291&lc=en&dlc=fr&cc=fr&lang=fr&product=4120625

lol, HP writes AM3 socket on an Intel PC... They should just stick to printers.

Yes the videocard will work IF you put in at least a 500W power supply such as an Antec, thermaltake, OCZ or other. (I recommend a 500W Thermaltake tr2 as they aren't to expensive and I have never seen an issue with any Thermaltake psu.

Besides that, you will have to make sure that:

The Power Supply used in the HP is a Standard Sized PSU as some brands like to use some really weird sized ones.

That the case has enough space for the videocard.

I would personally recommend that you bring your computer to a local computer store and tell them you want to change videocard and PSU.

Should cost you under 200$ for both with service and you turn the performance gain will be MASSIVE compared to running an incapable Intel Onboard Video.